Light-O-Rama Forums

Another kind of CCF

ItsMeBobO

This year I have noticed a lot of posts about how exciting the first year is. And even more family and children posts encouraging Daddy and or Mommy to do it right.

My own children are 3 1/2 and 1/2 and see me working on the lights a lot and ask me to make them blink. This has me thinking about the wonderful memories being made.

So... This post is to attempt to start a newbie Daddy and or Mommy scholarship. I think we could gather a few bucks here and there and get a first timer off the ground. When the fund has enough, a controller will be purchased and sent directly to the winner. This is only for newbies with kids to get them started please.

Determining who the scholarship recipients will be up to the admin (Bob-O) and the donors but we will listen to advice. Newbie families please feel free to apply for the scholarship by making a post here of why you need a controller! Funny is good and sappy is better! But you will need some backing if it sounds fishy. Pictures of your kids are encouraged.

There will be dates set later limiting the application period! (a few weeks) For now this is going to be free form and flexible. However, A full accounting of all funds will be provided to any donors. I have started it off with $40. Any one who would like to chip in $10 or whatever please paypal me itsmebobo at yahoo dot com. No public posts will be made by me about who has donated but you may if you wish. Records will be kept to assure the concerned this is not scam. If for some reason the scholarship is not awarded, all donations will be returned.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave Boros

• ItsMeBobO

• spindler88

• MikeH

ItsMeBobO wrote:

This year I have noticed a lot of posts about how exciting the first year is. And even more family and children posts encouraging Daddy and or Mommy to do it right.

My own children are 3 1/2 and 1/2 and see me working on the lights a lot and ask me to make them blink. This has me thinking about the wonderful memories being made.

So... This post is to attempt to start a newbie Daddy and or Mommy scholarship. I think we could gather a few bucks here and there and get a first timer off the ground. When the fund has enough, a controller will be purchased and sent directly to the winner. This is only for newbies with kids to get them started please.

Determining who the scholarship recipients will be up to the admin (Bob-O) and the donors but we will listen to advice. Newbie families please feel free to apply for the scholarship by making a post here of why you need a controller! Funny is good and sappy is better! But you will need some backing if it sounds fishy. Pictures of your kids are encouraged.

There will be dates set later limiting the application period! (a few weeks) For now this is going to be free form and flexible. However, A full accounting of all funds will be provided to any donors. I have started it off with $40. Any one who would like to chip in $10 or whatever please paypal me itsmebobo at yahoo dot com. No public posts will be made by me about who has donated but you may if you wish. Records will be kept to assure the concerned this is not scam. If for some reason the scholarship is not awarded, all donations will be returned.
you need to run while you can, kids that age quickly turn into teenagers!!! run while you have the chance.

If you would like to be considered for the Newbie Family Scholarship please PM me or post here.

In less than 24 hours we have $125 to gift to a family for a controller. Thank you ! Great start but still need to double that.

Daddy if you cross your eyes there are even more lights!

2093931193_66a55077b0.jpg

Thanks Bob, This is my first year and I am excited and I have a 12 year old son. I would love to be in the running for the newbie scholarship:D. I have always been big on family values,and Christmas. This time of the year is great for me,I love to watch all the specials see others lights the songs and so on. The best thing I did growing up was working on old cars with my DAD,also going all around showing cars. Now I have a chance to do something cool with my son that I hope one day he will say " one of the coolest things I did with my Dad was doing the Christmas light display."He Already has one song under his belt( I posted on another thread),and I made a mix of popular songs for kids his age that he is doing now.

Attached files 265124=14703-DSCF1204.JPG

Thanks BoB-O. I am posting here to get in for the newbies scholarship for DADA and KIDS. I have been planning my light show since January, My wife told me i had to quit smoking to do my light show. So I did I quit January 11th 2011. So I use my cigarette money to buy Stuff with.

First I would like to introduce my family. My wife Annette, David 7, Zachery 4, Juliana 2, and Elena 4 months. I would like to tell you how excited my kids are for our light show. My little one Juliana always says Christmas lights DADA. I would say OK she would say OK lets do it then. All of us would go into the garage and start setting up the lights. Before we can turn them on i would have to go and get all of there chairs and something to drink for all of them. All of there chairs would be right next to each other and they would sit there for an hour and watch the lights and dance. Almost every weekend. David my older son wants to go to garage sales every weekend to find more Christmas stuff for our show. So far we have found a 6 ft Blow up mini Mouse with lights, A dog holding a present w/lights, 5 BIG snow flakes W/lights, 4 snow balls w/lights, 6 small pre lit trees, and 5ooo lights, Not counting the 7000 i have already. This is the reason i am trying to run for the Newbies scholarship For DADA and kids award. I don't believe 1 controller will run all of this. Thank You Yall and MERRY Christmas. My wonderful family below trying to find our Christmas tree.

Attached files 265160=14709-20368_1167225792098_1571546737_30363906_5048355_n.jpg

Nice family shot. My favorite thing is the tape measure in your hand. Prepared and going to pick the max that will fit!
No wonder you like lights.

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Nice family shot. My favorite thing is the tape measure in your hand. Prepared and going to pick the max that will fit!
No wonder you like lights.

Thanks BobO, LOL That is funny, Maybe I should have put it down for the picture. Na it gives the picture a story to tell.Let me ask you Bobo, Were you stressed your first yr? The planning, hoping everything will turn out right, ETC ETC?

spindler88 wrote:

Let me ask you Bobo, Were you stressed your first yr? The planning, hoping everything will turn out right, ETC ETC?

Schmooooz points

ItsMeBobO wrote:

spindler88 wrote:
Let me ask you Bobo, Were you stressed your first yr? The planning, hoping everything will turn out right, ETC ETC?

Schmooooz points

LOL, No i m not kissing butt, If that is what you meant. No, I would set my lights up in the garage and I would either have my FM transmitter not work or the lights won't turn on. So my concern is when it is show time am I going to have to mess with this every time?I know it is probably my K-Mart Transmitter. On some nights I Plug my Transmitter in and controller in whaa laaaa everything works. I feel like I do the same thing every night. But some nights it doesn't work. Not sure what it is.

Tuesday September 27th is the last day the CCFund will be accepting applications.
At present we have three worthy Newbie Families.

The fund is still shy of purchasing a controller. Any more old timers who want to contribute to top off the fund it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all !

I would like to put in for the newbie contest. Christmas is my favorite time of year. I absolutely love Christmas lights. When I wad a kid, we never had lights up outside, or anything like that. Now that I'm older (not grown up...will never grow up) and have my own place, I try to put on a huge display. I live in a duplex, and every time we get new neighbors, I ask if they will let me light up their half, but so far to no avail. I have two girls, one thirteen, the other seven, that cant wait to help put up the lights. They always put up the lights on the lower level, around the garage and the window, and in the bushes. They've seen the "show" on the computer and are so excited and can't wait to see it on the house. The past three years Ive had about 10,000 + lights. A couple years ago a friend that is an LOR participant gave me his old lights and sounds setup. I got it set up last year and it was cool. This year I bought one controller at the mega sale at the beginning of the year as well as the director and start up kit. I still need an fm transmitter and another controller, but some financial strain always comes up to keep me from being able to purchase them. I have done some programming, and have programed a 21 channel mega tree, and 11 channels for the house and bushes. I will keep programming and setting up my lights, and if I get this scholarship, then I'll definitely have a show this year. If not, we'll see what we can do and hopefully have a show.

I also love doing this because its just a lot of fun! Its been pretty cool how things have kinda changed in the past few years. It used to be people driving by and shouting some nice colorful phrases because I was putting up lights so early and so many of them. Now its changed to, are you doing lights again? Thats really cool what you do. The kids and families in the neighborhood look forward to it. One of my neighbors even came by and gave me some lights last year! Its a really great feeling to be able to spread joy and happiness. Sometimes its all the Christmas some people get, and even if its just for a moment, they forget about their pain, or troubles and worries, and they feel that warmth inside. They feel like a kid again, just lost in the twinkling of the lights, carefree. There's just something about lights dancing on the snow to music!;)