Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
hubba002

How do you add the Cosmic Color Ribbon to existing sequences?

Recommended Posts

I been using the sample macro's that were supplied by LORJohn in this thread and I modified them to fit what I want them to do in my sequences, and I have to say I am impressed with CCR.

An example is I took the Sample Arch supplied by John and made it sweep faster by changing the grid and doubling up the sweep, and then I changed it again and changed the colors. saving all changes and inserting them in the sequences as desired. for me this makes CCR one of the easiest adaptations so far.

Of course I had to change the CCR hardware from legacy mode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Mel. It would be great if all the RGB support is there but if it won't be available, it will affect how I will approach this Christmas season.

I'm okay with any answer. I just want an answer. At this point I just have to assume what we have is what we have to work with this season and I'm going to move forward under that assumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PMC wrote:

An example is I took the Sample Arch supplied by John and made it sweep faster by changing the grid and doubling up the sweep, and then I changed it again and changed the colors. saving all changes and inserting them in the sequences as desired. for me this makes CCR one of the easiest adaptations so far.

It looks like I have not done a very good job in the manual for this product or I am misunderstanding. It's not necessary to change the grid to get the effect to sweep faster. The fade on the macro effect channel controls the rate at which the pattern impressed on the ribbon is exposed. If, during that two second example, you did a half second fade up, half sec fade down, half up & half down -- the sweep would wipe back and forth in a second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PMC wrote:

An example is I took the Sample Arch supplied by John and made it sweep faster by changing the grid and doubling up the sweep, and then I changed it again and changed the colors. saving all changes and inserting them in the sequences as desired. for me this makes CCR one of the easiest adaptations so far.



If anyone has done some chases using the macros, in a demo like sequence, I'd love to view them. The one blue demo is still hard for me to grasp.

Like i'd like to have a 3 pixel wide blue chase left, then right, but have more than one across the strand. Seeing this would help me figure the programming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LightORamaJohn wrote:

It looks like I have not done a very good job in the manual for this product or I am misunderstanding. It's not necessary to change the grig to get the effect to sweep faster. The fade on the macro effect channel controls the rate at which the pattern impressed on the ribbon is exposed. If, during that two second example, you did a half second fade up, half sec fade down, half up & half down -- the sweep would wipe back and forth in a second.

Perhaps not so much the quality of the writing, but the introduction of a number of new concepts (macros, control registers, etc...) that may be foreign to a number of people.

You must admit, it is a rather dramatic departure from the mode in which the LOR products have operated previously.

This combined with the lack of direct support in the software for these new functionalities and their associated complexities is likely to set a number of heads into a spin.

...and a dearth of specific examples (demos if you will) of the various macros/functions/etc. that people could load and view, then tweak to see the changes... (hint, hint...) ;)

Trying to learn, let alone master a device like this with the ever ticking clock at your back can un-nerve the best of us... I'm frantic'ing bad enough trying to get ready for Christmas. Don't even want to think about the people trying to get their Halloween shows going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LightORamaJohn wrote:

PMC wrote:
An example is I took the Sample Arch supplied by John and made it sweep faster by changing the grid and doubling up the sweep, and then I changed it again and changed the colors. saving all changes and inserting them in the sequences as desired. for me this makes CCR one of the easiest adaptations so far.

It looks like I have not done a very good job in the manual for this product or I am misunderstanding. It's not necessary to change the grig to get the effect to sweep faster. The fade on the macro effect channel controls the rate at which the pattern impressed on the ribbon is exposed. If, during that two second example, you did a half second fade up, half sec fade down, half up & half down -- the sweep would wipe back and forth in a second.

Thanks I tried it and like that way also, and yes with a grid at .3 I can sweep back across the CCR ribbon in 1/2 second, full second complete sweep. this works well for me.

And I, like others are trying to get this ribbon on-line as quickly as possible then learn its matrix later


maybe I'm putting to much thought in it

-Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rickharp wrote:

John, what setting adds another or second sweep to the chase. two instead of one... ??

I'm not sure I understand the question. If you asking how you use the blue arch example to sweep multiple times, it's just a matter of fading the macro effect channel. When the intensity of this channel is at 0, the arch is off. As the intensity of the channel increases more and more of the arch pixels come on until at 99% all are on. If you then fade down from 99% the arch pixels will go off in reverse order. Quick fade to sweep quickly, slow fade to sweep slowly.

If you are asking to have two sweeps occuring, one from the end and one from the center to fill in two smaller arches, I have not done a macro effect for this. You would have to drive the RGB channels to do that. If you are going to do that, it's probably a lot easier at this point to lower the resolution to 17 and have two 8 pixel arches with a dead pixel in the center. It would be cruder, but a lot less programming that two 25 pixel arches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks John, I decided to go with 25 pixels. lots of work, but i think i will be happy with the results. 17 was a close consideration. This gives me the ability to view the work on the viewer. I have two ccr's. Took awhile to draw the arches in the veiwer. Off and running now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It may be useful to play with the ribbon in the Hardware Utility. If you refresh to find it, select it, click the Console button and select Extended Circuit Ids, you can see how the different macro effects affect the ribbon.


Slide the Select Channel Group slider to reach channel 151 (resolution) and set the intensity to 1. Now the entire ribbon will be controlled by the first three RGB channels. Slide the slider back and use circuits 1, 2 & 3 to mix colors. When you have a color you like, go back to the macro channels.

E.g. set 152 to 5 (chase away from controller) set 153 to 23 (2 pixels on, 3 off) slide 154 to change the speed.... You can try each macro effect this way.

You can do the same for color effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, thanks for the tips on the Hardware control. I didn't realize you could do all of that. I'll have to play around with that tonight.

Rick, when you have something to show, would you mind sharing your sequence? I would like to see how you added it to the animation window and would like to see the details for the arches in the sequence editor. I know you posted a screenshot which was very helpful but a sequence would be great!

PS I decided to order an additional RS485 adapter so I could work on my CCR while my Halloween lights are running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JeffBlan wrote:

Rick, when you have something to show, would you mind sharing your sequence? I would like to see how you added it to the animation window and would like to see the details for the arches in the sequence editor. I know you posted a screenshot which was very helpful but a sequence would be great!


Here is a very early experimental version of the sequence using 25 pixel resolution for two CCR's. The animation is there: btw, i use a RGB LED rope light on my eaves and around the garage door, which I am very pleased with. Also, the mega tree in the animation is just the bottom circle of the tree.

I am not 100% sure this is the right way versus using the macros, but for me, it's cut and dry, and much more work.


Attached files walkdontrun64ccr1.lms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LightORamaJohn wrote:

Slide the Select Channel Group slider to reach channel 151 (resolution) and set the intensity to 1. Now the entire ribbon will be controlled by the first three RGB channels. Slide the slider back and use circuits 1, 2 & 3 to mix colors. When you have a color you like, go back to the macro channels.

E.g. set 152 to 5 (chase away from controller) set 153 to 23 (2 pixels on, 3 off) slide 154 to change the speed.... You can try each macro effect this way.
Very helpful Thanks John! I tried using the console last night on my own but goofed up somewhere. Got console working now. For me.. the console comes up set to unit id 01 but my ribbon found by HU is 0A. I did click it to attempt to select it but the console didnt pick it up. Anyway.. this is great way to survey the settings.

I have an upside down arch hanging in my workroom. CCR is cable tied to 3/4 PVC bowed into an arch and hanging from ceiling on hooks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ItsMeBobO wrote:

Very helpful Thanks John! I tried using the console last night on my own but goofed up somewhere. Got console working now. For me.. the console comes up set to unit id 01 but my ribbon found by HU is 0A. I did click it to attempt to select it but the console didnt pick it up. Anyway.. this is great way to survey the settings.

My bad. I forgot that you need to set the unit ID on the console screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick,

I just played your demo. It looked really good! I do like your idea of making it 25 channels so you can at least see all of one color in the sequence editor. The animation looked pretty cool as well.

As long as I stick with the primary colors (Red, Green, Blue, White), It should be easy enough to program without the macros.

Thanks for sharing!

Jeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John

For the modes 5/6 chase. How do I set the speed to ZERO? Not moving. I was trying to slow the speed then reverse the direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John,

Seems like everyone is asking you for help here.

Ugh, do you know why the tracks do not "nest" like the help screen shows them. It would be useful for me to have one Beat Track and leave it glued to the top of the screen while i work on another track or tracks. the workaround for me is to create a beat track about every 25 rows. Nesting a few tracks though would be sweet. I am assuming it is in an upcoming enhancement. thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ItsMeBobO wrote:

For the modes 5/6 chase. How do I set the speed to ZERO? Not moving. I was trying to slow the speed then reverse the direction.

You can't. What I will probably do is implement a new chase macro where 50% is not moving and lower or higher intensities move the chase toward the controller or away from it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick -- A very good example, thanks for posting it !! I'm not sure I have the time this year to update 19 songs with individual programming for 4 CCRs --- of course, I could RGB program 2 of them and Macro the others ... after I finish hanging the rest of the 40,000 LEDs .... [ugh]

Jim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished, for the most part, the first draft of a fun song that is using 2 CCR's to create 4 arches. Like the above posts, I have stuc with the traditional way of programing the arches. This way you can see pretty clearly what it will look like in the animation view. I think it's worth posting as it gives some good ideas and is pretty neat.

So it is the final draft version of the one I previously posted here a week ago.


Attached files walkdontrun64ccr1.lms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rickharp wrote:

John,

Seems like everyone is asking you for help here.

Ugh, do you know why the tracks do not "nest" like the help screen shows them. It would be useful for me to have one Beat Track and leave it glued to the top of the screen while i work on another track or tracks. the workaround for me is to create a beat track about every 25 rows. Nesting a few tracks though would be sweet. I am assuming it is in an upcoming enhancement. thanks

I totally agree with this enhancement idea. I was thinking how nice it would be to have a "Freeze Panes" option like in excel so that the beat track I keep at the top could always be visable. With 288 regular channels and 4 CCR's, that scrolling to the top to establish the timing mark and then going back to the bottom gets to be a pain.



With that being said, thank you guys at LOR for all you DO give us to work with!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

rickharp wrote:

I just finished, for the most part, the first draft of a fun song that is using 2 CCR's to create 4 arches. Like the above posts, I have stuc with the traditional way of programing the arches. This way you can see pretty clearly what it will look like in the animation view. I think it's worth posting as it gives some good ideas and is pretty neat.

So it is the final draft version of the one I previously posted here a week ago.

How are you using 2 CCR's to make 4 arches - with regards to bending the ribbon in that shape or are you cutting and rejoining with wires?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christmas_time_karl_UK wrote:

rickharp wrote:
I just finished, for the most part, the first draft of a fun song that is using 2 CCR's to create 4 arches. Like the above posts, I have stuc with the traditional way of programing the arches. This way you can see pretty clearly what it will look like in the animation view. I think it's worth posting as it gives some good ideas and is pretty neat.

So it is the final draft version of the one I previously posted here a week ago.

How are you using 2 CCR's to make 4 arches - with regards to bending the ribbon in that shape or are you cutting and rejoining with wires?

I set my resolution to 25, which leaves an odd channel (13), i just removed that from my sequence, and plan on sliding the conduit into sleeves or rebar, and keeping the two arches connected or joined in the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...