Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you add the Cosmic Color Ribbon to existing sequences?

hubba002

Hi! I am a kind of new to the LOR world. I ordered the Cosmic Color Ribbon (don't have it yet) to add to my 48 channel setup I purchased last year. I've been reading through the Forums and I read the documentation. BUT, I don't know how to set it up for sequencing.

I looked at the demo .las squence LightORamaJohn released and it looks very simplistic and merely uses the Macros. I want to do a little of everything including the RGB.

I just installed the latest version of LOR (2.4.10) and thought it would be as simple as adding a CCR as a unit, but, to my surprise, it's not there. I read other forum threads who were mentioning this and asking how to program RGB.

A little guidance of what to do would be appreciated. I don't mind hand adding the 157 channels if I need to, but would like to know where to go.

If I had a vote, it would be nice if you could add the CCR as a unit in a variety of ways. Like, macro mode (as the demo from John had it) and in a variety of pixel modes.

If anyone has advice on what to do, I could use it. I am anxious to get going but don't know which way to turn.:)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rickharp

• LightORamaJohn

• JeffBlan

• ItsMeBobO

hubba002 wrote:

I just installed the latest version of LOR (2.4.10) and thought it would be as simple as adding a CCR as a unit, but, to my surprise, it's not there.

The lastest verison of LOR with the CCR configuration utility is 2.5.2 released on Friday October 16. You can download it here:

http://lightorama.com/SoftwareDownloadPage.html

It gives you several options of how it will appear and function.

The CCR_DemoReleasedS2.las file looks to be from July, and has been a popular download. Perhaps this is a tough fulfillment at this time, but it would seem like another up to date demo and or perhaps a simple tutorial on actually programming a simple sequence with the macros would be well received. I am starting to putz with my two CCR's and it is a bit confusing. I find myself reading the manual over and over and experimenting. I will try the demo sequel now, and yes, its tough cause i have my system running Halloween stuff right now.

It is neat, and I am excited to get it under control. Would be nice to have more examples, tutorials, screen shots, etc, if anyone wants to donate. I think it would be popular with at least half of us who are working with the ccr's. Thanks everyone.

rickharp wrote:

The CCR_DemoReleasedS2.las file looks to be from July, and has been a popular download. Perhaps this is a tough fulfillment at this time, but it would seem like another up to date demo and or perhaps a simple tutorial on actually programming a simple sequence with the macros would be well received. I am starting to putz with my two CCR's and it is a bit confusing. I find myself reading the manual over and over and experimenting. I will try the demo sequel now, and yes, its tough cause i have my system running Halloween stuff right now.

It is neat, and I am excited to get it under control. Would be nice to have more examples, tutorials, screen shots, etc, if anyone wants to donate. I think it would be popular with at least half of us who are working with the ccr's. Thanks everyone.

I really agree with this post, some quickly knocked together youtube film or just some notes anything please =(

rickharp wrote:

I have noticed no one has posted anything they have been able to program... Except cutting and pasting from the demo sequence that was released.... No one has a sequence so far in a musical sequence they will run in a show.

If you have not received your CCR yet do not panic... Nothing you can do with it except watch the demo over and over... I am not sure if LOR has even figured out the programming and interface of the CCR.... Complete lack of instructions and documentation.... I do not think the CCR will even be ready to use for 2009 Christmas season this year... Software so far is not even close to being able to program in normal mode....

Wow! Thank ya'll so much for your quick replies. I feel better that I am not out to lunch.

I would agree with you posts that there need to be some demo's. Or, I think actual sample .las files that we can copy and paste the channels and names. From what I have read there should be several. There should be one for...

1. Demo for each pre-defined Macro
- Macro Mode 1 – Fill from Controller to End
- Macro Mode 2 – Fill from End to Controller
- Macro Mode 3 – Fill from Ends to Center
- Macro Mode 4 – Fill from Center to Ends
- Macro Mode 5 – Chase towards Controller

2. Demo for Color effects
- Setting the RGB channels)
- Color effects (Dazzle & Twinkle)

3. Demo showing how to set the different logical resolutions (1, 2, 5, 10, 16, 17, 25 & 50) and how one might choose to use this. I think I have an idea of this, but I'm sure there are some clever uses.

I suggest this because I am thinking I would like to copy and paste the channels at the end of my existing sequences. I can set the unit # after paste. Then I can just tweak it to go with my existing sequence.

Does this sound reasonable? How do you plan to incorporate into your existing sequences?

hubba002 wrote:

Wow! Thank ya'll so much for your quick replies. I feel better that I am not out to lunch.

I would agree with you posts that there need to be some demo's. Or, I think actual sample .las files that we can copy and paste the channels and names. From what I have read there should be several. There should be one for...

1. Demo for each pre-defined Macro
- Macro Mode 1 – Fill from Controller to End
- Macro Mode 2 – Fill from End to Controller
- Macro Mode 3 – Fill from Ends to Center
- Macro Mode 4 – Fill from Center to Ends

2. Demo for Color effects
- Setting the RGB channels)
- Color effects (Dazzle & Twinkle)

3. Demo showing how to set the different logical resolutions (1, 2, 5, 10, 16, 17, 25 & 50) and how one might choose to use this. I think I have an idea of this, but I'm sure there are some clever uses.

I suggest this because I am thinking I would like to copy and paste the channels at the end of my existing sequences. I can set the unit # after paste. Then I can just tweak it to go with my existing sequence.

Does this sound reasonable? How do you plan to incorporate into your existing sequences?

I plan on programing 50 Red channels 50 Green channels and 50 Blue channels in normal mode...

I'm struggling using the current software as well.

I've been able to play with the demo sequence and think I can program using the macros that are provided.

What I really want to do is make two 8 foot archs instead of 1 bing 16 foot arch. To do that I have to control each channel seperatly and I can't use the Macros (they only work for the entire ribbon).

Right now, the only way to do that is to add 150 channels and program each individually controlling the intensities on the RGB channels individually to get the color you want.

I've been playing around with LightShowPro as well but that is having problems controling the lights and keeping chanel numbers (it has some bugs in it). I've had more success with LOR software controling the lights but managing the RGB channels with 150 channels will be difficult.

I'm still waiting to see/hear when/if the LOR software will have better RGB support to make this much easier to accomplish.

If you need a beta tester, let me know:-)

Jeff

melwelch wrote:

rickharp wrote:

I have noticed no one has posted anything they have been able to program... Except cutting and pasting from the demo sequence that was released.... No one has a sequence so far in a musical sequence they will run in a show.

If you have not received your CCR yet do not panic... Nothing you can do with it except watch the demo over and over... I am not sure if LOR has even figured out the programming and interface of the CCR.... Complete lack of instructions and documentation.... I do not think the CCR will even be ready to use for 2009 Christmas season this year... Software so far is not even close to being able to program in normal mode....

Now Im just worried :P

I have been able to program/update CCR sequences. What I will say is that its appears to be VERY painful and tedius such that I don't see myself using very many different options.

For each CCR I added 10 new channels -- 1, 2, 3 are for RGB --- 151 thru 157 are the macro channels.

When I want to use only RGB channels, I just set channel 151 to 1% and it works the way I want --- you can turn the RGB channels all on or even use fades and the CCR does what I wanted.

For Macro mode I pretty much used a variation of the example in the manual page 23 and it works fine.

My biggest issue is the tedious process of changing intensities to the various values for use with all of the options. I would hope for an improvement in a future software version -- possibly with a special "CCR Macro" tool with all of these defaults available. I don't see myself over using it this year because of the effort involved.

Here is what the manual says to do on page 23 to make an arch leap in blue:

1. Set the Resolution Channel (151) to intensity 1 – entire ribbon controlled by one RGB channel
  2. Set the Macro Channel (152) to 1 – arch leaps from controller to far end of ribbon
  3. Set the B channel (3) to 100% -- entire ribbon is blue
  4. Fade the Macro Effect channel (154) from 0 to 99% -- the ribbon fills from the controller end at full 50 pixel resolution in blue

Here is a 2 second sequence that does this in Unit ID mode normal (all 157 channels on one unit ID.) Hover over the grid to see what the cells are set to.

Attached files ManualExampleBlueArch.las

Here is what the manual says to do on page 23 to use a color effect with a macro effect to get a colorful chase: (Note that the manual had the chase direction wrong, it's corrected below)

1. Leave all RGB Channels off
  2. Set the Resolution Channel (151) to intensity 50 – full resolution for the color effect
  3. Set the Color Effect Channel (155) to intensity 17 – Dazzle in 7 color mode
  4. Set the Color Effect Speed Channel (156) to intensity 90
  5. Set the Color Effect Intensity Channel (157) to 100%
  6. Set the Macro Effect Mode Channel (152) to intensity 5 – chase away from controller
  7. Set the Macro Submode Channel (153) to intensity 44 – four pixels on, four pixels off
  8. Set the Macro Effect Channel (154) to intensity 85 – the speed of the chase

Here is a 10 second sequence that does this in Unit ID mode normal: (you can plug in different color effects and macro effects to see what happens)

Attached files ManualExampleDazzleChase.las

JeffBlan wrote:

I'm struggling using the current software as well.

I've been able to play with the demo sequence and think I can program using the macros that are provided.

What I really want to do is make two 8 foot archs instead of 1 bing 16 foot arch. To do that I have to control each channel seperatly and I can't use the Macros (they only work for the entire ribbon).

Right now, the only way to do that is to add 150 channels and program each individually controlling the intensities on the RGB channels individually to get the color you want.

I've been playing around with LightShowPro as well but that is having problems controling the lights and keeping chanel numbers (it has some bugs in it). I've had more success with LOR software controling the lights but managing the RGB channels with 150 channels will be difficult.

I'm still waiting to see/hear when/if the LOR software will have better RGB support to make this much easier to accomplish.

If you need a beta tester, let me know:-)

Jeff

I don't have my CCR and admit I know nothing about anything. But, I would think to do your 2 arches you could set the resolution to 2. Not sure what this means to the macros. Will they work like you have 2 separate CCR's or will it simply make 75 pixels work together as one on each half.

I saw something about having 10 Unit numbers in legacy mode. Perhaps you could convince the ribbon it was two units and have macro control on the different units making the CCR work like 2 CCR's.

Anyone have ideas on this?

I don't feel that what we have is impossible to work with. My desire back in July was to have 4 chasing arches in this years show. I could of bought two controllers and wrapped incandelesents around pvc, or use the ccr's for about the same money. with the wrapped bulbs, the size or diameter of the arch would of been substantial, and seen from a distance. The small ribbon, might look tiny, but does provide a huge assortment of colors, although low on my list.

I was concerned about the weight of these other arches, and storing them. That's why I went for the CCR.

I think if you read and experiment, you'll find a way to make it work for this year.

I see John has posted some more demo's. Thanks

Hubba002,

Thanks for the ideas. I did try setting the resolution to 2 but it does not work. I didn't try the second idea but I'm pretty sure that won't work as the macro commands are all on the last (controller 10) unit and would affect the entire ribbon. You would not have 2 macro channels.

rickharp,

I agree that it can be done but giving the current state of the software, it will take some time to get it to do what you want when you are setting each 150 channel the way you want.

Jeff