Light-O-Rama Forums
Bowshock

I need a Zara Radio Guru to consult

I want to give my thanks to joshua, clueless, and bisquit476 for taking time to proof read the tutorial draft and make comments on how to improve the quality of the content. Their suggestions will not only help make the tutorial easier to use and understand, but it will also make sure the content at the right level for our target audience. THANK YOU for your help!

:(:):dude::dude:

michael,

if you need anyone else to look it over I'll throw in my hat

greg

Feedback has been pouring in and I've been making lots of gramatical fixes to the tutorial. There have also been several other great suggestions for improvements. The only thorn we're having right now is that time announcements with automatic gain control (AGC) turned on causes extra, unwanted noise. It seems AGC improperly boosts spaces in the time files and produces static in the announcements. We're doing some work to see if this issue can be resolved, but research is pointing to Zara's AGC being too agressive. There are several reports of this issue from other Zara Radio users with no resolution. The files work fine with AGC turned off. We're investigating to see if there is anything we can do with the files themselves to make the problem less if not go away completely. If anyone has any Zara experience with AGC and time file static, let me know!

The tutorial launches next weekend, rain or shine, static or not! :)

Stay tuned...

Thanks for keeping up updated. Thanks for your hard work on this. I am looking forward to the tutorial.

I have been working with michael in proofing the tutorial. As Michael had previously noted the problems we have been having are with the time/temp and humidity files. We did get them cleaned up a bit and have corrected the problem as much as we are going to get it at this time. I have been bench testing the files with one of our audio engineers at the television station I work at to see if we can correct this problem. This is directley from him.

"I played them in several different programs and they all seemto play OK. It may be possible that the max sampling rate of 48K cannot be handled for the AGC however since we converted all the files and still noticed the problem this may not be the case it seems the AGC code that zara uses is too aggressive, the settings for for the playback of the time/temp/humidity are partically effected. The gate and threshold settings are not set up correctly. The gate seems to open too fast and the threshold is set to high. If you listen close it is possible to hear a cycle in the music files also, although this is not as detectable as individual files like the time/temp files, which seem to play fine in a playlist so something tells me there is a settings problem between the playlist and direct access to the mp3's in the specific folders. Although the misc audio on the head and tail of the clips were under 5db Zara amplified this many more times than the original level. Greg I would recommend you not to use the AGC setting for now. "

We have done everything we could think of, converted them to different sampling rates, ran them through various filters, played them with different versions of Zara, re-dubbed them to different formats and couldn't correct the problem totally. In the end we simply cleaned them up a bit, they do work now, however, you may experience some pops/or static. Believe me this is much better then when we started. Take note, this only happens when you have the AGC(automatic gain control) turned on. Everything is fine if you have this setting off. I normally run Zara with AGC off which was recommended to me. I would also recommend this setting.

Greg

michael.farney wrote:

Feedback has been pouring in and I've been making lots of gramatical fixes to the tutorial. There have also been several other great suggestions for improvements. The only thorn we're having right now is that time announcements with automatic gain control (AGC) turned on causes extra, unwanted noise. It seems AGC improperly boosts spaces in the time files and produces static in the announcements. We're doing some work to see if this issue can be resolved, but research is pointing to Zara's AGC being too agressive. There are several reports of this issue from other Zara Radio users with no resolution. The files work fine with AGC turned off. We're investigating to see if there is anything we can do with the files themselves to make the problem less if not go away completely. If anyone has any Zara experience with AGC and time file static, let me know!

Stay tuned...

Greg wrote:

I have been working with michael in proofing the tutorial. As Michael had previously noted the problems we have been having are with the time/temp and humidity files. We did get them cleaned up a bit and have corrected the problem as much as we are going to get it at this time. I have been bench testing the files with one of our audio engineers at the television station I work at to see if we can correct this problem. This is directley from him.

"I played them in several different programs and they all seemto play OK. It may be possible that the max sampling rate of 48K cannot be handled for the AGC however since we converted all the files and still noticed the problem this may not be the case it seems the AGC code that zara uses is too aggressive, the settings for for the playback of the time/temp/humidity are partically effected. The gate and threshold settings are not set up correctly. The gate seems to open too fast and the threshold is set to high. If you listen close it is possible to hear a cycle in the music files also, although this is not as detectable as individual files like the time/temp files, which seem to play fine in a playlist so something tells me there is a settings problem between the playlist and direct access to the mp3's in the specific folders. Although the misc audio on the head and tail of the clips were under 5db Zara amplified this many more times than the original level. Greg I would recommend you not to use the AGC setting for now. "

We have done everything we could think of, converted them to different sampling rates, ran them through various filters, played them with different versions of Zara, re-dubbed them to different formats and couldn't correct the problem totally. In the end we simply cleaned them up a bit, they do work now, however, you may experience some pops/or static. Believe me this is much better then when we started. Take note, this only happens when you have the AGC(automatic gain control) turned on. Everything is fine if you have this setting off. I normally run Zara with AGC off which was recommended to me. I would also recommend this setting.

Greg

michael.farney wrote:

Stay tuned...

Thanks for the update Greg. I will be releasing everything sometime this weekend. There are a small amount of cleanup items left.

As for AGC, this is personal preference. I prefer to have it turned on myself, because the files I use do occasionally need the gain corrected. For everyone else, I'd say try it both ways, and if you don't see any advantage with AGC, then turn it off.

One last side note: The English Male announcements work just fine with AGC. So you are not stuck if you wish to use the AGC normalizing feature. In fact, in my 3 years of running Zara Radio, I've never run it with AGC off.

Michael,

Nice work with the tutorial!!!

started watching it. SO excited. Made my friday night. Got the beer and my pc. yes....

friskybri wrote:

started watching it. SO excited. Made my friday night. Got the beer and my pc. yes....

I'm glad people are enjoying the tutorial. I just changed the page to add a voting module to be consistent with the other tutorials on LORsequences.com. The page hit counter is already at 53!

Tutorial is wonderful !! I still have one problem, I can't get my events to play, TTH will play when I click on the symbols. but they will not play when scheduled as Events. Any Ideal on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks, Tim

Did you check immediate in the events options. file play and high priority and immediate then i had no problems. The issue I have is when I use the dtmf for disconnect 88 it starts zara radio music but it mute's the wav on my main audio panel. Whats with that. i tried different tones but they all do the same thing mute the wave in my main audio panel. Found issue in tools under satellite wave was was highlighted and moved it to pc speaker and it now does not mute it.

If you want it to play between songs you can also insert it into a playlist, i am sure you done this but do you have the event type selected/and the all the days hilighted. Also make sure you have the events enabled, it is a yellow checkmark above the upcoming events box.

greg

All days are selected,Event type is checked, yellow checkmark is clicked whick turns event window white instead of gray.they are on maximum wait of 10 minutes with high priority. If I turn them to Immediate they play on top of the song that is playing at the exact time they are scheduled. I thought if you selected the maximum wait button they would play at the first break after their scheduled time. Am I wrong on that Point?

Tim

yes you are correct, maximum wait will wait till the current song at event time ends then it should play the time file pending your maximum wait time is not up, if it goes beyond the max wait time the event is simply skipped. if you set an event up using the same settings except have it play a file does that work?

Nothing will play on maxium wait,they will only play on immediate. Also, how does the computer hear the DTMF Tones?

your tone detection may depend on your soundcard, if you soundcard will allow loop backs it is should work without any other patches, you may need to unmute your line in channel. Also in zara make sure in options/satellite you have the input selected. if the soundcard doesn't have loop back options you may need a 1/8" to 1/8" cable from an output to an input.

as far as the event settings, in options/general make sure you have disable the events in secondary instances checked,

Greg, Thanks for All the help! The way I added the playlist Zara was looking at it as 1 big song so it could't find a stoping point. I reloaded the songs and now it WORKS!!

I don't think my soundcard will let me use DTMF tones if I loop it from output to input I get feedback through the speakers and transmitter. I tried to use the Front mic for the DTMF input but that doesn't seem to work either Scheduling a start and stop will work for Me.

Tim

Tim Dill wrote:

Greg, Thanks for All the help! The way I added the playlist Zara was looking at it as 1 big song so it could't find a stoping point. I reloaded the songs and now it WORKS!!

I don't think my soundcard will let me use DTMF tones if I loop it from output to input I get feedback through the speakers and transmitter. I tried to use the Front mic for the DTMF input but that doesn't seem to work either Scheduling a start and stop will work for Me.

Tim

I sent you a PM

WOW michael you are the man, what a fantastic selection of Zara radio tutorials, you have done a great job just as you have done in the past with your lor tutorials, a big Thanks to you and all of your helpers for the long hours you put in to this project, i really appreciate it,