Light-O-Rama Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

ORBITZ enclosure

Guest guest

Scott,

Thanks for the heads up. My dad, brother, and I are attempting to use this Orbitz box to mount one of our controllers...we'll see how it goes.

Guest guest

Tim

I was in mitten land last week seeing my parents and thought of you.

If you need help on your box pm me.

good luck

Guest guest

Scot Meyers wrote:

Tim

I was in mitten land last week seeing my parents and thought of you.

If you need help on your box pm me.

good luck
My dad, brother and I finished mounting the controller in the box. I really like the quality of the Orbitz enclosure. Thanks again.

Guest guest

No problem Tim.

JUST A HEADS UP!!

I Was i Home Depot and Lowes yesterday pricing for James Peachtree.

At home Depot the boxes are currently 25.99 At Lowes they are currently 28.99

also if you don't live in a semi arrid climate where sprinklers systems are not a usuall supply you my not find them but if you go on line to Home depot and lowes you might be able to get them from stores in states that sell a lot more sprinkler equipment like Nebraska Kansas Colorado Arizona etc.

Guest guest

Ok, Scot. The last name is Peachee, but don't worry, it gets pronounced and misspelled Peachtree alot.

Just to let everyone know, Home Depot has this, like Scot said, and the SKU # for it is 206-848. I have not tried to get it on line yet but the attendant said that should work.

James

Update! I tried to get this online without luck. It is only available in certain regions and they will not ship cross country. To order this directly through Orbit will cost $33 plus shipping. Sometimes it's good to be in a dry environment.

P.S. Thanks for all your help on this Scot.

Guest guest

Sorry Buddy.

I got you PM. My offer still exsists. If you live in a non semi arrid state like back east or a long the west banks of the mississippi. then you may not find these. HOWEVER
If you send me the 26.00 Plus shipping per box I wll be happy to help anyone out who would like these purchased.

Guest guest
For those interested in the box that was brought up from Hometech (http://www.hometech.com/techwire/boxes.html), I've used those. Works great for CTB-08's. A bit tight, but you CAN get a CTB-16 in, but you won't be able to get wiring out the holes in the bottom. Currently my CTB-16 that's in one of these has 4 quad boxes mounted on the cover. I will be moving that board into a different enclosure when I have a chance. Because of the structure of the box, a CTB-16 must be mounted vertical instead of horizontal in the box, which leaves your wires exiting toward the side, thus the reason I chose to mount 4 quad boxed on the cover. I believe I posted pics of this box 2 years ago, but don't think I have the pics any longer.

I just looked and the Hometech Link has some 10x17x3 boxes that might be able to hold 2 16d's if you back them together. The model number of this box is Item Number 11MDEGYS.

Robogeek

Guest guest

Hi everyone,

I just purchased the Orbit box and I have a question for those who have used this. Do you have to remove the center mounting plate, or can you just remove the GFI plug and mount the CTB-16D to the mounting plates. What am I missing?

Thanks,

Chris

Guest guest

I think you'll find folks that have done it both ways.

If you mount directly to the mounting plate, there is the issue that the board is inline with the seal area- thus any leak MIGHT cause damage to the board.

Others, myself included, choose to remove the mounting plate and cut out the rest of the guts and use computer stand-off to mount the bord to the box- this seats it well within the box and somewhat safer from any possible seal issues.

Tad

orbitz pictures in this thread all appear to have the guts cut out....

Guest guest

Did anyone ever make their Orbitz enclosure waterproof where the wires go into the box? If so, how did you fit all the wires into those 2 holes with the connectors? Anyone drill other holes into the box? Thx!

Guest guest

I did not fell the need to waterproof the bottom holes. I did drill one extra hole on the bottom. SPT2 wire is to tight with just the two.

Shawn

Guest guest

I used grounded cords (like those on an extension cord) and considered a few options to help make them waterproof.

Option 1: drill 1/4" holes for each cord.
Determined it would be a pain and then I'd have to seal each and every one.

Option 2: Cut square hole in the bottom of the box and stack the 16 lines in 4 rows of 4.
This was a more realistic option- you really dont' want to make the box completely waterproof. It's gonna need to breathe.

I went with option 2. It was more difficult using grounded cords, but I wanted the grounds.

WHAT I DID DO TO PROTECT THINGS,

I covered the data ports and sprayed everything with Strike-Hold. It is an electronics spray that applies a temporary layer of protection from dust, debris, and water. I sprayed all of my strobes with this too.

I saw a demonstration where a lit lightbulb was dunked in a bucket of water.... while the guy was still holding it. I saw it in person at a gun show (....go ahead, try to steal my props...) You can check their website for retailers and more info.

http://strike-hold.com/