Jump to content
Light-O-Rama Forums
cmulvey

Light O Rama Summer Sale?

Recommended Posts

On 7/25/2016 at 5:24 PM, Mr. P said:

Nobody knows if or when, you just have to sign up for the email notification and wait.

I hear that every time somebody asks, they push it later.  :D  Same thing with the Mad Grab sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scodavis said:

I hear that every time somebody asks, they push it later.  :D  Same thing with the Mad Grab sale.

If that were true there'd never be a sale. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Don said:

If that were true there'd never be a sale. :)

Ain't that the truth.  I have had several people threaten me with death when told "We don't give hints, sign up with your eMail address".  

(Several = once a day for the last 2 months! :P)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DevMike said:

Ain't that the truth.  I have had several people threaten me with death when told "We don't give hints, sign up with your eMail address".  

(Several = once a day for the last 2 months! :P)

Seriously?  Death?

I mean, I am really excited for the summer sale as I plan to buy two of the 8-flood kits for my 2017 display (I want to spend some time testing effects before programming my show).

But threats?  That's just wrong.

-Scott

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, scodavis said:

Seriously?  Death?

I mean, I am really excited for the summer sale as I plan to buy two of the 8-flood kits for my 2017 display (I want to spend some time testing effects before programming my show).

But threats?  That's just wrong.

-Scott

Well.... Ok...  That is a bit of hyperbole.  But we do get customers (daily) who ask about a sale and when told 'no hints,sorry' vow to never buy from us again or that they will tell everyone on social media just how evil a huge company we are: "How dare they not have a sale or tell us when if they do and save us money!"  - as if it is a federal law that we have one :D

The same happens during a mad grab sale when we run out of something.  

Also funny are the people that try REALLY hard to pump us (the tech people) for information.  We tell them "They do NOT tell us when it will be." which is the swear-on-a-holy-book truth.  Mgmt (Dan and Mary) spares everyone from lying to you by purposely NOT telling us.  We like it that way.  Again, I can honestly say "I have absolutely NO idea when there will be a sale".  We (the worker bees) find out about 1 day beforehand because Dan likes us to proofread what he is going to send in the eMail blast.

Sit back.  Relax.  Enjoy life!  If you are just itching for some interaction with us, get your controllers in for repair now rather than later.  Because the longer you wait, the more babies I kill :P  (not really.  See link above).  Really though...  Get your repairs done now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we are asking the wrong question.

We need to be asking, "So how is that proofreading coming along"?

Almost done? (if so, that means the sale will follow shortly :) )

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like the surprise that comes with the sales. It generates a lot of buzz waiting for it and when it starts there is a bad dash to get what you want.

I've got some cash put away and I'm just waiting patiently.

Email from Light-O-Rama are marked as priority and show on the lock screen of my phone so I know I won't miss it. I'm almost ready, I just wish I had A LOT more money in reserve for sale day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

So we are asking the wrong question.

We need to be asking, "So how is that proofreading coming along"?

Almost done? (if so, that means the sale will follow shortly :) )

LOL!  

I will actually 'disappear' between the time I get that eMail and the announcement of the sale - for the same reason.  

Once we see that eMail, we start getting other things ready - help desk canned responses, the posts here about how the sale works, and everything else that we can do to pull work away from those who are going to be needed for picking/packing/shipping.   Those people will, at the height of the sale, be shipping 2-3 pallets worth of orders every day, 5-6 days a week, for more than 6 weeks.

My coding time dries up for almost a week after the announcement as I get pulled into answering tickets/phones full time.  I posted a graph around here somewhere that shows what happens the day we announce the sale when it comes to help desk stuff.  Not pretty :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rest up DevMike!  We want you sharp when the sale starts! :-) Appreciate all you & everyone else does there to keep us happy & lighting up the world!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Mike,

 

Is company policy prohibiting to add an ethernetport to the new MP3 player?

 

Regards

 

Dick de Wit

The  Netherlands

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry no.  There will not be an Ethernet port on the new MP3 director.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curiosity question only, why would you need an Ethernet port on an MP3 Director?   I just can't figure out why one would need one, or am I missing something that could be important? or beneficial here?

Edited by Orville

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Orville said:

Curiosity question only, why would you need an Ethernet port on an MP3 Director?   I just can't figure out why one would need one, or am I missing something that could be important? or beneficial here?

For E1.31 DMX control.

 

I admit, it would be useful. That is a reason I think some people use FPP instead of LOR. They don't need a PC yet can run hundreds of thousands of pixels and more.

 

MP3 director + intensity files and LOR's standalone device has caught up with FPP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

MP3 director + intensity files and LOR's standalone device has caught up with FPP.

No, it has not...

The thing thats nice with the FPP is they are much more expandable and versatile, the showtime directors are still limited by the 1-4 ports depending on which one you buy and it still has a very high price tag. And plus with the FPP I can run more then 128 channels with out lag Lol :)

Edited by canadianchristmas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, canadianchristmas said:

No, it has not...

The thing thats nice with the FPP is they are much more expandable and versatile, the showtime directors are still limited by the 1-4 ports depending on which one you buy and it still has a very high price tag. And plus with the FPP I can run more then 128 channels with out lag Lol :)

Thanks for that information.  

Apparently my G1 mini-director used in 2013 and 2014 and the G3 MP3 that replaced it in 2015 that flawlessly ran 224 channels without lag are the exception.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, basis21b said:

Thanks for that information.  

Apparently my G1 mini-director used in 2013 and 2014 and the G3 MP3 that replaced it in 2015 that flawlessly ran 224 channels without lag are the exception.

Sorry the channel thing was a joke.

On a serious note though I have heard that if you run more then 96 channels per LOR dongle on the LOR protocol you could experience very very minor lag on sequences with fast timing , this is the reason some people prefer to run their LOR controllers in dmx mode. LORs intensity files may also help solve lag issues.

As for FPP vs Director: you still can not run as many channels as the pie and for the price the FPP is the clear winner at least to me.

The Show directors are good though for people who want a easier less complex show player though.

Edited by canadianchristmas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, going to show my ignorance here, what is the "FPP"?   Not sure I'm familiar with it or what it is.   Is it something more for RGB or ?.   Trying to learn as much as I can now before I actually get into the RGB mess of things to come. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Falcon player.

What is it and how does it differ from the LOR G3 Mini Director unit?   Been thinking of getting an new director unit to have and have been considering the G3 MP3 Director, but if there's something a bit more sophisticated and can do better, I'd like to know more about it.   PM me with details on it would you please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, canadianchristmas said:

Sorry the channel thing was a joke.

On a serious note though I have heard that if you run more then 96 channels per LOR dongle on the LOR protocol you could experience very very minor lag on sequences with fast timing , this is the reason some people prefer to run their LOR controllers in dmx mode. LORs intensity files may also help solve lag issues.

As for FPP vs Director: you still can not run as many channels as the pie and for the price the FPP is the clear winner at least to me.

The Show directors are good though for people who want a easier less complex show player though.

HUH?  That is news to me.

We successfully run THOUSANDS of channels without lag on a MP3 director and certainly more than 96!  That includes directors all the way back to the original one we sold.  

At comparable speeds, LOR protocol is MORE efficient than DMX.  If you could run LOR controllers at the same 250K speed as DMX, it would be easy to prove.  However we only support 115K (about 1/2 the speed of DMX), and 500K (double speed of DMX).  If we assume 3600 channels @500K LOR, that means we would be able to do approx 1800 at DMX 250K speed.  Running them with DMX does NOT make them less 'laggy'.

As for 'fast' sequences, LOR protocol has DMX beat as well.  LOR response time is normally less than 10ms, where as the frame refresh rate of DMX is around 24ms.

Now, let's look at number of channels controllable with a protocol.  DMX is limited to 512 channels, no exceptions.  LOR protocol (at 500K), can run approx 3600 channels at DMX refresh rates, and even MORE than that at lower rates - since the LOR protocol only transmits what is needed to be transmitted while DMX transmits full frames every pass.  If you are looking at a limited number of channel changes, 10,000 channels or more are possible with LOR protocol on a SINGLE network.

The FPP exceeds the LOR MP3 directors in one way only, and that is it's ability to run E1.31.  E1.31 is not in big demand for many LOR customers, and an even smaller group needs it in a stand alone player.  There are some of you who would like the functionality, and for those the FPP is a fine choice.  

The simplicity of LOR Directors along with their ability to run THOUSANDS of channels (not a laughable 96) makes them a FINE (no,  EXCELLENT) choice for many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DevMike said:

HUH?  That is news to me.

We successfully run THOUSANDS of channels without lag on a MP3 director and certainly more than 96!  That includes directors all the way back to the original one we sold.  

At comparable speeds, LOR protocol is MORE efficient than DMX.  If you could run LOR controllers at the same 250K speed as DMX, it would be easy to prove.  However we only support 115K (about 1/2 the speed of DMX), and 500K (double speed of DMX).  If we assume 3600 channels @500K LOR, that means we would be able to do approx 1800 at DMX 250K speed.  Running them with DMX does NOT make them less 'laggy'.

As for 'fast' sequences, LOR protocol has DMX beat as well.  LOR response time is normally less than 10ms, where as the frame refresh rate of DMX is around 24ms.

Now, let's look at number of channels controllable with a protocol.  DMX is limited to 512 channels, no exceptions.  LOR protocol (at 500K), can run approx 3600 channels at DMX refresh rates, and even MORE than that at lower rates - since the LOR protocol only transmits what is needed to be transmitted while DMX transmits full frames every pass.  If you are looking at a limited number of channel changes, 10,000 channels or more are possible with LOR protocol on a SINGLE network.

The FPP exceeds the LOR MP3 directors in one way only, and that is it's ability to run E1.31.  E1.31 is not in big demand for many LOR customers, and an even smaller group needs it in a stand alone player.  There are some of you who would like the functionality, and for those the FPP is a fine choice.  

The simplicity of LOR Directors along with their ability to run THOUSANDS of channels (not a laughable 96) makes them a FINE (no,  EXCELLENT) choice for many.

Ok, It took me a bit of time, but I was able to dig up one of the Xlights forum threads I read this on: http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php?topic=267.msg1187#msg1187 The 96 channel issue with LOR protocol has also been discussed on other christmas forums but this is the one I found the fastest. The one thing that I did not think of though is if it is a Xlights specific problem with the LOR dongle or not, and that is hard to say, and I do not own enough LOR boxes to do the test between programs. However from what I can tell there have been people that experienced these issues in S3 but I can't say anything for S4.

 

Screen Shot.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believed it was said, but just because it was said does not make it true.  The last message in that thread is accurate.  We recommend about 900 channels per 115K non enhanced network, which if you do the math, matches up exactly with what I said earlier at 500K:  3600.  

Again, we say ABOUT simply because our protocol allows for many more channels with slower sequences.  The 900 @ 115K number does NOT include the speed enhancements that can be had running ELOR protocol.  900 @ 115K is a conservative estimate based on what we see are 'average' to above average speed sequences running regular LOR protocol.   FYI:  900 at 115K is substantially faster than the 512 at 250K of DMX.  In fact, it's around 4 times faster.

We can back our numbers up as well: At expo this year, we ran 3 separate Pixel Trees (the ones at the very front of our booth) for a total of 7,200 channels (2400 pixels) - not on the new FOUR port adapter, not on the existing G3MP3 TWO port adapter, but on a SINGLE MINI MP3 director on a single port @500K using ELOR.  We ran a 16 ribbon CCR tree with a 4 CCP star (3,600) channels on another director.  The XLights people were at expo.  They dropped by.  Ask them.

ANYONE who is only getting 96 channels working AT ANY SPEED (and that includes at the snail slow 19.2) needs to IMMEDIATELY open a help desk ticket because they are doing something very wrong, or they have something very broken.  We need to fix that.

Now that you've been informed, I hope you let others know when they are wrong about this as well.

Edited by DevMike
clarified we used 2 directors - 1 for 3 pixel trees, another for 1 ribbon tree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DevMike said:

We can back our numbers up as well: At expo this year, we ran 3 separate Pixel Trees (the ones at the very front of our booth) for a total of 7,200 channels (2400 pixels) - not on the new FOUR port adapter, not on the existing G3MP3 TWO port adapter, but on a SINGLE MINI MP3 director on a single port @500K using ELOR.  We ran a 16 ribbon CCR tree with a 4 CCP star (3,600) channels also on a director.  The XLights people where at expo.  They dropped by.  Ask them.

So a total of 2 mp3 directors to run the 3 trees? Very impressive!

So there was no issue with the two trees even in faster sequences?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...