Light-O-Rama Forums

Starting Pixel Number

jimswinder

All I can say is I'm appreciating X lights more and more everyday. I can make props in a matter of minutes with X lights change the universe on the whole prop  if I want or channel order for colors . Building custom models is easy as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2016 at 7:52 AM, k6ccc said:

The problem is that the visualizer does not like having a single fixture cross universes.  The solution (for pixel packers like you and me) is to create two fixtures for the strings that will cross universes.  So for example, for your ribbon 4 create two fixtures:

Ribbon 4a = Universe 2, pixel 151 to pixel 170

Ribbon 4b = Universe 3, pixel 1 to 30

It's a little more of a hassle to draw it, but that makes it work. 

This suggestion gives wrong results in SuperStar.

I just had to implemented this exact solution (split one fixture into two fixtures, in order to handle pixels # 171-200 of my 200-pixel mini tree.  The solution works in Visualizer, but will not import correctly into a vertical sequencing grid in SuperStar.

Background:

Before I made the change, my 10-vertical, 20 pixels per vertical mini tree imported perfectly into SS, when I selected:  (1) Vertical, and (2) Max length = 20, in the Sequencing Grid section of the Import Visualizer file window.  I got a 10-column, 20-row sequencing grid for may 10X20 mini tree.

However, Visualizer would not "Play" because my 10X20  mini tree exceeded 170 pixels in the first of two universes for my tree.  

To resolve, I made the split noted above (mine was to 9a (universe 10) and 9b (universe 11)).  But, when I import this revised V file into SuperStar, I get a SS sequencing grid with 11 columns, not 10, and two of the columns have just 10 rows, not 20.

Anyone have a suggested fix?

25 minutes ago, Ed K said:

I just had to implemented this exact solution (split one fixture into two fixtures, in order to handle pixels # 171-200 of my 200-pixel mini tree.  The solution works in Visualizer, but will not import correctly into a vertical sequencing grid in SuperStar.

Background:

Before I made the change, my 10-vertical, 20 pixels per vertical mini tree imported perfectly into SS, when I selected:  (1) Vertical, and (2) Max length = 20, in the Sequencing Grid section of the Import Visualizer file window.  I got a 10-column, 20-row sequencing grid for may 10X20 mini tree.

However, Visualizer would not "Play" because my 10X20  mini tree exceeded 170 pixels in the first of two universes for my tree.  

To resolve, I made the split noted above (mine was to 9a (universe 10) and 9b (universe 11)).  But, when I import this revised V file into SuperStar, I get a SS sequencing grid with 11 columns, not 10, and two of the columns have just 10 rows, not 20.

I don't remember that being a problem, but these days I use the SuperStar options in Visualizer to specifically place every fixture exactly where I want it in the grid in SuperStar.  That way I can place any prop where ever I want it in the grid.

6 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I don't remember that being a problem, but these days I use the SuperStar options in Visualizer to specifically place every fixture exactly where I want it in the grid in SuperStar.  That way I can place any prop where ever I want it in the grid.

I’ve also tried every SS setting possible for a prop in Visualizer, but I have not been able to get the 10-column, 20-row sequencing grid in SS that I previously got when my mini tree had no split-up verticals.  And, I have one, and only one, prop or fixture in my entire Visualizer file – a 10 X 20 mini tree. No other fixtures.  No other props. I do this so that I can develop an understanding of LOR apps.

My mini tree is made from a single, 200-ct string of pixels, 10 verticals, 20 pixels per vertical.  So, 20 up, 20 down, 20 up, 20 down, . . .    In Visualizer, vertical 8 was on my first universe, and started with pixel 161.  Vertical 9 was on the next sequential universe, and started with pixel 1.

My original mini tree designed in Visualizer gave me the perfect 10-column, 20-row grid when I imported it into SuperStar.  But Visualizer would not play, highlighting my error of more than 170 pixels in the first universe.

So, yesterday, I made the split of vertical #9 (20 pixels) into 9a (Universe 10) and 9b (Universe 11), each with 10 pixels.  Visualizer now opens in Play.  But when I import this revised Visualizer file into SS, SS produces an 11-column grid, and two of those columns have 10 rows.

Such a simple, easy-to-understand, common prop, and such a basic use of V and SS.  I’ve obviously still missed a step to get the 10-col, 20-row sequencing grid in SS.

58 minutes ago, Ed K said:

I’ve also tried every SS setting possible for a prop in Visualizer, but I have not been able to get the 10-column, 20-row sequencing grid in SS that I previously got when my mini tree had no split-up verticals.  And, I have one, and only one, prop or fixture in my entire Visualizer file – a 10 X 20 mini tree. No other fixtures.  No other props. I do this so that I can develop an understanding of LOR apps.

My mini tree is made from a single, 200-ct string of pixels, 10 verticals, 20 pixels per vertical.  So, 20 up, 20 down, 20 up, 20 down, . . .    In Visualizer, vertical 8 was on my first universe, and started with pixel 161.  Vertical 9 was on the next sequential universe, and started with pixel 1.

My original mini tree designed in Visualizer gave me the perfect 10-column, 20-row grid when I imported it into SuperStar.  But Visualizer would not play, highlighting my error of more than 170 pixels in the first universe.

So, yesterday, I made the split of vertical #9 (20 pixels) into 9a (Universe 10) and 9b (Universe 11), each with 10 pixels.  Visualizer now opens in Play.  But when I import this revised Visualizer file into SS, SS produces an 11-column grid, and two of those columns have 10 rows.

Such a simple, easy-to-understand, common prop, and such a basic use of V and SS.  I’ve obviously still missed a step to get the 10-col, 20-row sequencing grid in SS.

Saw you post here and the other one. SS sometimes has a weird way of making the grid, even Brian will tell you that but in this case SS is doing what it thinks you need, 11 fixtures - 11 columns. Like Jim said, the superstar button, found in the fixture dialog box should take care of this issue. I don't know how it was drawn from you picture so I cant really recommend the settings, but it looks like you will need to set 9b to row 11, column 8 for starters. THIS COULD BE WRONG so may need to play with it.  Almost everything in my grid uses row column keywords (now th SS button) to build my grid the way I wanted it, sometimes it was very frustrating.  

Edited by saxon

Thanks for more suggestions.  I had made the SuperStar row/column assignments earlier, but it did not correct my problem.  It's frustrating because I have such a plain vanilla prop in Visualizer, and its the only prop or fixture in Visualizer.  But it won't import as 10 cols, 20 rows into SuperStar. It used to, before I split vertical #9 up (to remove my Visualizer error).

I assigned the row/column to the two individual fixtures within the prop, 9a and 9b:

(1) Vertical #9 runs from the bottom to the top (pixels 161 - 170, then pixels 171 - 180)

(2)  I assigned 9a (which holds the first ten pixels from the bottom) to Row 11, Col 9

(3)  I assigned 9b (which holds the second ten pixels at the top of the vertical) to Row 1, Col 9.

I imported the V file into SS, but still get 11 columns.  9a and 9b have their own columns, and have just 10 rows each (their number of pixels).  The other nine columns are 20 rows, as they should be. 

I'm literally stopped in my tracks from proceeding with LOR apps.  I  must be overlooking the obvious b/c it's not likely that I'm the the only person that has ever run across this issue.  

BTW, this is why I start so simple with each step I make in LOR -- I want to make sure I get by each speed bump before I develop too much of my project inside LOR.

18 hours ago, Ed K said:

Background:

The problem you're experiencing is that SS thinks it's 2 fixtures (It is) However, because SS was designed originally for a matrix, it has a few nuances. 

To make your prop work as you need it, Brian explains what needs to be done here: 

The first set of instructions, if followed, will give you a single line in the grid for the 2 fixtures.

The comment has to be formatted exactly like his instructions, ie.,  superstar matrixlength=20

There is only one space in the string, between superstar and matrix. No spaces anywhere else.

Edited by Ron Boyd

1 hour ago, Ron Boyd said:

To make your prop work as you need it, Brian explains what needs to be done here: 

Ron, thanks for the reply.  I  will look more closely at what he provided in the post you just gave me.

Last night, Brian gave me a solution, which is at  

It was an obscure, undocumented requirement that I missed (shame on me).  Brian was very cordial, and pointed out that there is no way I could have known.  It has to do with adding a comment, literally a text string, into the comments field of a fixture (in my case, a mini tree).

With the two requirements Brian pointed out for my simple prop, I can now get the mini tree into a proper sequencing grid in SS.  The two requirements combined are really good information that I've now fully documented in a Word file for posterity (and my forgetfulness).

But, as you''ll see in a post I just added a few minutes ago, the Smooth Effects in SS are not working properly on the second of two mini trees I imported correctly from Visualizer.

So, I've asked for more help from Brian.  Not sure if you know what the setting is that I'm missing.   I really like SS, as it disguises a lot of detail, but there are some tricks at using it I just don't know.  

Geez,that was Brian's response to me that you sent.  I just noticed that now.

I had read through the whole thread, but never even thought to look at "Who" posed the question. I s'pose it was you.

Alright, for your last question.

If you load up the minis in SS, and click on, say the bottom pixel on each column one at a time, do they show up in the right order, or is one at the opposite end? Ahh! this one's hard to explain. Let me grab a screen cap or do a quick drawing to try to show a visual reply. Be back in a bit.

Yeah, that was me, but then I was too dense to see that you had re-posted my post.

Let me try what you just asked, and get back to you.

Yes, I can click on  any pixel in the grid, and it's the correct pixel on the trees.  That's always been working, luckily.

My problem now is implementing all Smooth Efffects (shockwave, spiral, and fan), images, and text.  They all want to work as though there is just one tree, and that tree is the left mini tree.  

E.g., I just have two mini trees in SS.  I put one of these smooth effects into tree #2 (which is columns 11-20 on grid).  When played, nothing happens on tree #2, and I get some, if any, remnant effect on tree #1.  It appears to be treating both trees as one tree, or even one matrix.

Scenes and morphs all work correctly.

Ahh! do you know about Manual Clip and No Clip?

In the pop-up box for any of the effects, there are 2 radio buttons/circles. One says "No Clip" and the other says "Manual Clip"

Select Manual Clip. Start in the upper left corner of one of your trees, Hold the shift key and click and drag to the lower right corner of the same tree. Now add your effect and see if that works.

Edited by Ron Boyd

No, don't know about clipping.  Sounds like I need to learn.

I put in the post above but here it is again by itself

In the pop-up box for any of the effects, there are 2 radio buttons/circles. One says "No Clip" and the other says "Manual Clip"

Select Manual Clip. Start in the upper left corner of one of your trees, Hold the shift key and click and drag to the lower right corner of the same tree. Now add your effect and see if that works.

Great suggestion!  I just manually clipped a Smooth Effect on my right mini tree, clicked Modify, and played the sequence.  It works!

Thanks so much for helping me.  

• Like 1

You're most welcome. I love me some Superstar for sequencing. Always happy to help someone using the program.

Ron, I just visited your website.  What a great display you have, and two mega trees!  You've done a lot, and share a lot on your website. Lots of effort you must have had in the planning, building, wiring, powering, testing, sequencing, testing (did I say that already?), etc.  

Thanks again for your help.

• Like 1

Ron, would it be possible to get the link to your how-to on the fan project ?

Thank you,

Jim

• Like 1