Light-O-Rama Forums

Orange Extension Cords use Electricity?

EmmienLightFan

I was watching this video:

At 2:30 I learnt some very useful information.

Apparently orange extension leads use more electricity than others, especially when using LEDs.

There are a few funny things in that video. It was very entertaining to watch. I wonder if that guy is somewhere on the forums.

Edited by EmmienLightFan

Apparently orange extension leads use more extension leads than others, especially when using LEDs.

This, perhaps.

The point was that the video guy said "orange cords suck...they draw more power". Nothing about "more extension leads" as you stated.  Don't know where you thought that up or what it even means.

At least initially, best to take what you read/hear/view with a grain of salt because of varrying opinions, irregqardless of the hobby.  Only as we gain more knowledge, can we start to decipher, "that make sense" or "that doesn't seem right".

Guessing  if you asked video guy why orange cords draw more power, he wouldn't know, just heard it from someone else.

Orange cords, green cords, brown cords, color HAS NOTHING to do with how much power a cord draws, the draw is from WHAT IS ATTACHED at the end of the extension cord!  If the cord is plugged in and there is no load, there is NOTHING, NADA, NOT ONE THING it can draw from because it's NOT POWERING ANYTHING!   Also the draw of what can be put on the cord is also dependent on the gauge of wire used for the cord.   Overload an extension cord and it starts drawing more power than it's designed for per the wire gauge used, it will get hot, and I do mean HOT, hot enough it poses a risk of burning the wires inside in two and starting a fire!

So this video surely can't be serious!   At least I sure hope not.     Been using all colors of cords for years and my power has never increased because of the color of a cord, that's ridiculous.  I've replace green ones with orange ones and my power stayed the same.

EDIT: The "shimmer" doesn't work well with L.E.D.'s and orange cords according to this person?  You've got to be joking, right?   Because it just isn't true!  I've been using those Orange extension cords for years and my shimmers work just fine!   Never had an issue with them and 2 of my roof line L.E.D. strands are CONNECTED to ORANGE cords and they are very long cords at that, one goes over the roof to one of the strands from a controller.   And a couple of others control the L.E.D. strands on my handicap ramp, all effects have worked 100% fine with them for 5 years now!  Again, my power has never changed because of the color of the cords I use, again, ridiculous!   I wonder where he got his "misinformation" from?

Edited by Orville

Orange cords work better with incandescent lights because electricity does not move as fast as it does through yellow cords.   :wacko:

If I was to make a really wild guess he might be thinking that they have more resistance. But his statement was a little out there. All I can say after watching that video is there's time I'll never get back

Edited by Ebuechner
  • Like 1

i just painted my cords white this way the electricity moves like lightning

Great idea. ROFLMAO   Now if that only really worked, we could paint all out cat5 cords white and no more lag issues of any kind anywhere! ;):lol::D

BTW: when i checked the resistance of an Orange cord vs a Green cord of the same length and wire gauge, both measured exactly the same at the time.   Just don't recall what the resistance was at the moment, but since they are in use now, so I'll have to recheck that after they come down from where they are.  Just don't have test leads long enough to measure them where they are currently mounted.

Edited by Orville