Light-O-Rama Forums

Downloaded music has static sound when playing

Keymanofco

This is my second year of LOR, and started with 64 channels.  Graduated from a 6 zone Mr Christmas.  Now I'm having a blast.  Learned how to do sequencing myself this year.  Last year I bought a few LOR sequences to get started.  Now I'm really enjoying this hobby.

Here's my problem.  I have purchased a couple of songs from Amazon and have sequenced them in the software.  Everything works fine, but when I listen to the music on my car stereo while watching the show, this music is not crisp and clear sounding like the LOR shows I purchased.  It seems to have a static sound to it.

Where do I go from here to fix my problem?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Jim,

Welcome aboard this crazy forum.

So please explain what transmitter you have. Also, the PC or laptop should not be at 100% volume (just something to check).

FM Transmitters are a huge asset and some do not work so well.

Jim,

How do the MP3 files that you got from Amazon sound when you play them on your PC without transmitter?

Did you run them through Audacity to make sure that they are 128 CBR? Constant Bit Rate.

Did you run them through MP3 Gain to level out the volume? We need a bit more info to try to help you out.

Santa's Helper, I am using the Whole House FM Transmitter, and I do have my laptop computer volume turned all the way up.  I will try turning it down some to see if that will help.  However, all of the sequences I purchased from LOR sound really good, so I will see what happens.  Thanks.

Joe, I did run these 2 songs through Audacity and made sure they are at 128 CBR.  I did not run them through MP3 Gain, as I am not familiar with doing this.  Can you educate me a little on this, please?  When I listen to these songs through the speakers hooked up to my computer they actually sound pretty clear.

Thanks guys for the input.  I look forward to hearing back from you, and from anyone else, on any further advise you might have.

Jim

Joe, I researched and downloaded MP3 Gain just now and ran my 2 songs through it.  I will try this and see if it will help. 

Thanks for your help.  I appreciate it.

Jim

I have found that to get the best output with a transmitter turn the PC volume to 25% and the transmitter output to no more than 75%.  That keeps it clean.

Also moving your FM Transmitter as far away from your computer, computer speakers, cordless phone, receiver or any other electronics that can cause feedback, static or a hum. I had a hum and static and the further I got it away from the electronics the better it got. I finally went out and purchased 50ft RCA's and no more humming no more static 

Thanks guys for the input.  I greatly appreciate it.

My computer is in the unfinished basement of our house and the speaker wire runs from the computer straight through an exterior wall, then around the outside of the house to the FM transmitter that is mounted up under the soffit of my house.  None of this is anywhere near any other electronics.  However, I did not used shielded wire, maybe I should give this a try too.  Not much to lose in doing it, and lots to gain, if anything.

I also have the volume cranked on both the PC and transmitter.  I will turn both of them down and see what happens.

It just seems wierd that it is only on the songs I purchased seperately, and then sequenced myself, and not on any of the sequences I bought already programmed.

I also did not get the chance to try the songs I had run through Audacity and MP3 Gain tonight, so I don't know if that fixed them yet.  I will do this tomorrow and let everyone know the results.

Thanks again.  Jim

Sorry that it took me so long to get back on the forum.  Just to let all of you guys know, Audacity and MP3Gain fixed all of my audio problems.  I was amazed at how much difference there was bewteen all of my songs.  Volume issues seemd to be the biggest thing.  Once I matched all of my songs to about the same levels, and turned down the volume quite a bit, they all cleared up and sound really good.

Thank you for all of your help.  I greatly appreciate it.  I hope I can return the favor someday.