Light-O-Rama Forums
Jerry Ludy

Traics continue to FAIL, why?

Isn't the real problem is that LOR designed the output triacs without fuse protection? There would be NO blown triacs if LOR had incorporated current protection (fuses) in their designs. --Greg--

That is just blatantly false!  As an engineer that has designed lots and lots of triac circuits over the last 30 years, I can tell you there are all kinds of reasons why you are wrong, but suffice to tell you that no fuse is fast enough to always protect a triac.  I doubt seriously more than .1 - 1% of the blown triacs are due to load current, (that is a guess judging by what has been posted here).  If however the failures are from ESD hits, (which I would not bet the farm on, but is an interesting thought), there are no fuses that will protect them. 

I am sorry, but spouting off like that without any facts to back up your statement is just plain wrong.  I don't often make statements like this, but yours is right up there with the tin foil hat group.   There is nothing wrong with LOR's design regarding the triacs and the price point the market can stand.  Also keep in mind that LOR as already told us that there were a bad batch of triacs from the manufacturer.  Hardly LOR's fault, but they made them good. 

Gawd !! I hit "F5" (refresh page for those that don't know)  Saw plasma's post saw "Greg" LOL, and thought he was talking about my post.....

LMAO I can be wrong, or tainted sometimes, but TG it wasn't this time.

Greg Manning (NOT Greg.ca, even though I live in Canada) :)

Sorry all. just had to.... "300 and counting" now if I only had that many channels.

Greg

edit... let me guess, this one will cost me some rep....

Edited by a31ford

I see several people had problems with water getting into the controllers, this is what i did this year.  I purchased the large christmas gift bags, cut a section of the bottom out to fit over my controllers and tied the top like you normally would a gift.  looked better than just having the controllers exposed and kept the rain out.   

• Like 1

Well I've replaced the three bad triac's and tested my controller,  Christmas 2014 here I come.......