Light-O-Rama Forums

~~~ Calling upon the LOR Gods - community newbies ~~~

Mike C.

Thanks everybody for guiding me in the right direction. Silly me I was over analyzing the power requirement of the controllers. My home was built in 2010 and I’m sure I have GFI outlets through out the house. I have one outlet in the garage that’s not being used. I need to take a peek in the control panel and see what the amperage is for that particular outlet. I have a second outlet in the porch area that I could use but I want to keep my controllers inside. I want to keep them dry and away from the 5 finger bandits that might think it’s there for the taking.

Like I mentioned before I want to start off with just two controllers this year, but I’m sure once the bug kicks in I’ll want to add more controller as the years go by. That’s why I mentioned about adding more outlets in the garage.

I have a buddy of mine who is a licensed electrician. I will get with him about my power upgrade and go from there.

Once I iron out the details with the controllers I know I have to make a decision if I go wireless or use cat5 from my desktop to the controllers. Most likely I might have to buy a decent laptop or easy light linkers for my set up. My desktop is upstairs and I don’t think the wife will let me run cat5 from the second floor to the garage.

I’m planning to slowly switch over to 100% LED’s and adding RGB’s and CCR’s in the future. I just want to be up and running by this years Christmas with the lights and display elements a have now.

Once I get into RGB & CCR would it be better to look into buying The Deluxe DC Board CMB16D-QC to run and power them?

Also I don’t know if I’m going to buy an fm transmitter or just buy a couple of outdoor speakers and run the sound from the desktop/laptop. At the same time I don’t want to [Foul Language Used] off my neighbors by having the music playing through out the evening and night. Decisions Decisions.

Correct me I’m wrong but a typical set up would be:

A - A computer to run the show with the appropriate software

B – A pair of speakers or an fm transmitter connected to the computers soundcard to play the music

C - A USB485 adapter that connects to the computers USB port using a cat5 LAN cable

D- A cat5 LAN cable from the USB485 adapter to the controller
If I would go wireless I would connect a easy light linker to the converter and the easy light receiver to the controller

E- From there it’s just connecting the strings of lights to the controller
It all depends on how many controllers I have and add in the future. I could just either connect them via cat5 cables or by easy light linkers.

Yes I need to buy a new camcorder the one I have now uses mini DVD’s.

Thanks for sharing the picture of your display and the links for the SPT1 cable. I will defiantly go out and buy a Kill-a-watt meter. I love buying new toys especially when I can write them off on my taxes.

When I mentioned regular outdoor extension cords in the past I would go out to HD or Lowe’s and just buy 25’ 50’ extension cords.
Now that you guys have shown me the way of the Jedi I will just make them from this point on.

Thanks for clarifying the “rule of 3” for me, and you’re right I have to sit down and draw out the layout of my display. This way I can determine how and what light string will go to which controller. The outlet I want to use in my garage is connected to the outlet in my porch area. I found out last year when I had a jumper for the kids plugged into the porch outlet and I tried plugging in a popcorn machine inside the garage and the breaker tripped. The kids inside the jumper got a little scare LOL.

I really don’t know what FM transmitter I’m going to use but I want to do my homework (here and on the web) before I make a rookie mistake and say the wrong thing or buy the wrong one.

I will keep in mind the 80% rule, and yes I have to watch my budget. I could get carried away before I get started, she might lay me smack down and shut me down before I get started.

I haven’t had a chance to download the trial version of the software to start playing with it.
Once I get going I’m looking to buy S3 advance with the superstar add-on 2_CCR for the auto sequence, and when I’m ready I can buy a couple of CCR’s.

Like I mentioned before thanks to all for the feedback and warm welcome,

Mike

Mike C. wrote:

Thanks everybody for guiding me in the right direction. Silly me I was over analyzing the power requirement of the controllers. My home was built in 2010 and I’m sure I have GFI outlets through out the house.

You probably have GFCI protected circuits on the exterior, anywhere near a sink (kitchen/baths) and unfinished areas of the home. Caution, some builders put one GFCI for the entire home which could severely limit the current available.

I have one outlet in the garage that’s not being used. I need to take a peek in the control panel and see what the amperage is for that particular outlet. I have a second outlet in the porch area that I could use but I want to keep my controllers inside. I want to keep them dry and away from the 5 finger bandits that might think it’s there for the taking.

Like I mentioned before I want to start off with just two controllers this year, but I’m sure once the bug kicks in I’ll want to add more controller as the years go by. That’s why I mentioned about adding more outlets in the garage.

I have a buddy of mine who is a licensed electrician. I will get with him about my power upgrade and go from there.

If you ran your static display last year and didn't run into power constraints and plan to do the same display this year, you will probably be using less power as all of the lights won't be on at the same time for a majority of the show.

Once I iron out the details with the controllers I know I have to make a decision if I go wireless or use cat5 from my desktop to the controllers. Most likely I might have to buy a decent laptop or easy light linkers for my set up. My desktop is upstairs and I don’t think the wife will let me run cat5 from the second floor to the garage.

I’m planning to slowly switch over to 100% LED’s and adding RGB’s and CCR’s in the future. I just want to be up and running by this years Christmas with the lights and display elements a have now.

Once I get into RGB & CCR would it be better to look into buying The Deluxe DC Board CMB16D-QC to run and power them?

CCRs have their own controller. RGB can be done with the DC Board or DMX.

Also I don’t know if I’m going to buy an fm transmitter or just buy a couple of outdoor speakers and run the sound from the desktop/laptop. At the same time I don’t want to [Foul Language Used] off my neighbors by having the music playing through out the evening and night. Decisions Decisions.

If you decide to go FM, do some homework. The EDM users here are very vocal about using the EDM transmitter. Read a lot here and make your own decision.

Correct me I’m wrong but a typical set up would be:

B – A pair of speakers or an fm transmitter connected to the computers soundcard to play the music

C - A USB485 adapter that connects to the computers USB port using a cat5 LAN cable

If I would go wireless I would connect a easy light linker to the converter and the easy light receiver to the controller

It all depends on how many controllers I have and add in the future. I could just either connect them via cat5 cables or by easy light linkers.

Sounds correct to me.

Yes I need to buy a new camcorder the one I have now uses mini DVD’s.

Thanks for sharing the picture of your display and the links for the SPT1 cable. I will defiantly go out and buy a Kill-a-watt meter. I love buying new toys especially when I can write them off on my taxes.

When I mentioned regular outdoor extension cords in the past I would go out to HD or Lowe’s and just buy 25’ 50’ extension cords.
Now that you guys have shown me the way of the Jedi I will just make them from this point on.

Thanks for clarifying the “rule of 3” for me, and you’re right I have to sit down and draw out the layout of my display. This way I can determine how and what light string will go to which controller. The outlet I want to use in my garage is connected to the outlet in my porch area. I found out last year when I had a jumper for the kids plugged into the porch outlet and I tried plugging in a popcorn machine inside the garage and the breaker tripped. The kids inside the jumper got a little scared LOL.

I really don’t know what FM transmitter I’m going to use but I want to do my homework (here and on the web) before I make a rookie mistake and say the wrong thing or buy the wrong one.

I will keep in mind the 80% rule, and yes I have to watch my budget. I could get carried away before I get started, she might lay me smack down and shut me down before I get started.

I haven’t had a chance to download the trial version of the software to start playing with it.
Once I get going I’m looking to buy S3 advance with the superstar add-on 2_CCR for the auto sequence, and when I’m ready I can buy a couple of CCR’s.

Do the trial software now. If you have a picture of last year's display, you an use that in the visualizer to help set up your display. When you do a sequence in the sequence editor, you can get an idea of how it looks on the house.

Yes, buy the advanced license.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe there is any benefit to purchasing the superstar software until you have the the CCRs

Like I mentioned before thanks to all for the feedback and warm welcome,

Mike

You might want to look into a mini-director, it does away with the need of a second computer to run the show.

Mike C. wrote:

...Thanks for sharing the picture of your display and the links for the SPT1 cable. I will defiantly go out and buy a Kill-a-watt meter. I love buying new toys especially when I can write them off on my taxes.

Ok now I have a question... How do you write this off your taxes?

I am in Canada so our laws are different.

PaulXmas wrote:

Mike C. wrote:
...Thanks for sharing the picture of your display and the links for the SPT1 cable. I will defiantly go out and buy a Kill-a-watt meter. I love buying new toys especially when I can write them off on my taxes.

It has to be a legitimate business expense. So, if he has a company and the company sponsors his light show for advertising, he might be able to do it.

Mike C. wrote:

Or could be and, Last year I did both with a headphone slitter... Why make a decision.. just buy both! ;p

I use an old portable stereo that has lasted 3 years so far.

It is loud enough that you can hear it from the sidewalk but not once you go past my place.

I would worry about blasting the same songs over and over and over and over again every night.

It is so cold here that my neighbours don't hear the music because we all have our windows closed so its not an issue.

PaulXmas wrote:

It is loud enough that you can hear it from the sidewalk but not once you go past my place.

I would worry about blasting the same songs over and over and over and over again every night.

It is so cold here that my neighbours don't hear the music because we all have our windows closed so its not an issue.

+1 use both and old radio and an FM transmitter also look in to the Mini director i find it very useful.

I currently use speakers only. Noise is not an issue for me. Rummage sales are a great place to look for cheap speakers and show computers. If you do Halloween, get big speakers and a good amp. Thunder is murder on speakers, plus you can get away with more noise for the trick o treaters.

A show computer doesn't need much horsepower to run and could be run from the garage. Your sequencing computer does need plenty of ram and a beefy graphics card for the timing to be right. Duel monitor is also highly recommended.

Don't be afraid to have your controllers outside closer to your elements. There are plenty of ways to mount them securely and out of sight. Cords can get pricey if everything is homerun to a central location.

Welcome aboard!

eurbani wrote:

Mike C. wrote:

If you decide to go FM, do some homework. The EDM users here are very vocal about using the EDM transmitter. Read a lot here and make your own decision.

funny you say that like i said earlier i need to do some reseach on it. I don't want to open up a can of worms if i say or pick the wrong one. :(

EARLE W. TALLEY wrote:
You might want to look into a mini-director, it does away with the need of a second computer to run the show.

that could be an option, i could same me some cash and buy more controllers.

PaulXmas wrote:
Mike C. wrote:

Back in Feb. when we filed our taxes my tax lady told me about the state of CA. giving some type of tax exemption when you buy tools for the home. So two weeks later i went out and bought like $600 bucks of tools i always wanted and have been slowly buying since.

eurbani wrote:
PaulXmas wrote:
Mike C. wrote:

It has to be a legitimate business expense. So, if he has a company and the company sponsors his light show for advertising, he might be able to do it.
I don't have a business sponsorship i wish, i have to learn to crawl, walk and then run with the big boys. :)

l0chte wrote:
Mike C. wrote:

Or could be and, Last year I did both with a headphone slitter... Why make a decision.. just buy both! ;p

Ha ha i could do that. :D

MCas4380 wrote:
PaulXmas wrote:

+1 use both and old radio and an FM transmitter also look in to the Mini director i find it very useful.

thanks every body for the feedback.

so yesterday i took a peek inside my control panel and it looks like a have enough space for six more 20 amp breakers(picture 1). It would of been nice if the builder would of put in an extra 200amp breaker in there for future upgrades (picture 2) but that would of be asking for to much. The nex two picture (Picture 3 & 4) i really can't decipher the chicken scratch some i can make out but most are like WTF?

Attached files 314679=17182-panel 4.jpg

Mike C. wrote:

eurbani wrote:
Mike C. wrote:

funny you say that like i said earlier i need to do some reseach on it. I don't want to open up a can of worms if i say or pick the wrong one. :)

Quite honestly, there are only a few people on the forum that seem to be bothered by the passionate support for EDM. Reason for that passionate support is, its a good product, and with the high number of satisfied users, the data speaks for itself. EDM isn't the only good quality FM transmitter out there, but the real caution is, there is a lot more junk floating around on ebay and similar sites than there is quality.

But you're the one who has to make the cost versus quality decision, based on your budget. Make your decision and don't worry about having to defend/rationalize your purchase to anyone else, its time better spent building and sequencing.

Regarding your breaker panel, yes, it definitely looks like there is room to grow, but based on what you describe as your experience working with electricity, please please please enlist a licensed electrician to do the work.

Good luck!

Mike C. wrote:

It would of been nice if the builder would of put in an extra 200amp breaker in there for future upgrades (picture 2) but that would of be asking for to much.
That would most likely not have been allowed. Your service is probably 200A, so multiple breakers would have the potential to exceed that.

The nex two picture (Picture 3 & 4) i really can't decipher the chicken scratch some i can make out but most are like WTF?
When I replaced my (old, unsafe) breaker panel last year, I decided to save myself trouble in the future finding out which breaker controlled which outlet, so I went through each breaker and labeled each outlet and switch with the breaker number.

Technically, it connects to the computer's USB port using a USB cable.

If I would go wireless I would connect a easy light linker to the converter and the easy light receiver to the controller.
There's actually no such thing as a "easy light receiver." If the easy light linker (ELL) connects to the computer, it needs a USB485B (with booster) to power it.

I have a second outlet in the porch area that I could use but I want to keep my controllers inside. I want to keep them dry and away from the 5 finger bandits that might think it’s there for the taking.
The experience of many here says that the thieves are more likely to steal blowmolds and LED strings (because they are flashy) than nondescript gray boxes that look like sprinkler timers. There are also many techniques for securing them that could save you big money in extension cords.

DonFL wrote:

Mike C. wrote:
eurbani wrote:
Mike C. wrote:

funny you say that like i said earlier i need to do some reseach on it. I don't want to open up a can of worms if i say or pick the wrong one. ;)

Quite honestly, there are only a few people on the forum that seem to be bothered by the passionate support for EDM. Reason for that passionate support is, its a good product, and with the high number of satisfied users, the data speaks for itself. EDM isn't the only good quality FM transmitter out there, but the real caution is, there is a lot more junk floating around on ebay and similar sites than there is quality.

But you're the one who has to make the cost versus quality decision, based on your budget. Make your decision and don't worry about having to defend/rationalize your purchase to anyone else, its time better spent building and sequencing.

Regarding your breaker panel, yes, it definitely looks like there is room to grow, but based on what you describe as your experience working with electricity, please please please enlist a licensed electrician to do the work.

Good luck!

Thanks Don for stopping by I'm not much for spending money wastefully. So if there's a product that is far superior than others i rather spend the extra cash and buy that one(EDM) than having to double dip. I still have a long ways before i pull the trigger on the controllers and the FM transmitter so i have time to troll and do my homework.

Steven wrote:
Mike C. wrote:
It would of been nice if the builder would of put in an extra 200amp breaker in there for future upgrades (picture 2) but that would of be asking for to much.
That would most likely not have been allowed. Your service is probably 200A, so multiple breakers would have the potential to exceed that.

The nex two picture (Picture 3 & 4) i really can't decipher the chicken scratch some i can make out but most are like WTF?
When I replaced my (old, unsafe) breaker panel last year, I decided to save myself trouble in the future finding out which breaker controlled which outlet, so I went through each breaker and labeled each outlet and switch with the breaker number.

Technically, it connects to the computer's USB port using a USB cable.

If I would go wireless I would connect a easy light linker to the converter and the easy light receiver to the controller.
There's actually no such thing as a "easy light receiver." If the easy light linker (ELL) connects to the computer, it needs a USB485B (with booster) to power it.

I have a second outlet in the porch area that I could use but I want to keep my controllers inside. I want to keep them dry and away from the 5 finger bandits that might think it’s there for the taking.
The experience of many here says that the thieves are more likely to steal blowmolds and LED strings (because they are flashy) than nondescript gray boxes that look like sprinkler timers. There are also many techniques for securing them that could save you big money in extension cords.

Steven i know what you're saying but just knowing someone might walk away with a controller will problaby keep me up at night. I'm sure i'm not the first newb to worry about such things. :)

I'll probably get b*tch slapped for this since most on here are EDM fans.

I bought my transmitter from HLLY. I got the 1w transmitter, which is WAY too much power than what anyone needs. The .5w is more than enough and has great sound quality.
http://www.hllyelectronics.com/fm-transmitter/0.5w-fm-transmitter.html

I also bought some cable locks for my controllers from Home Depot.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202311744/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=cable+locks&storeId=10051

Wrap them around my trees and bushes. If anyone wants to cut down my trees to get my controllers, then cut away. I hate those trees and bushes anyhow.

• Like 1

David Rise wrote:

If anyone wants to cut down my trees to get my controllers, then cut away. I hate those trees and bushes anyhow.

I actually LOL on that one.

And I'm an EDM fan for sure. I like EDM because it's been good for me. I say use what works for you.

I have been using the EDM for about 4 years now. Really have like it, but am starting to have some range issues that I need to get resolved.

That being said, I am really curious about the HLLY.
How does it compare as far as sound quality, distortion, range and anything else I am not thinking of at the time?

What kind of range do you get with the 1 watt?

Thanks

John Bradley
Sanger, TX