Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels sticking

Robert Burton

jeffl wrote:

We'll wait to call you crazy until we have something to base it on. For now we need to gather more facts.
How many more facts do you need? I will say this, go read the boards (I am sure you have ;-)...most of the problems have been with folks running XP. I hope that is not it though...really can't afford to upgrade computers right now.

I also thought though it was weird that my issues were on channel 8...on several controllers, downstream, from another controller that was daisy chained.

No issues last night. Dry night. Suppose to have a little rain today but not sure how wet it will get. Also sticking my wifi usb stick back in, but not running Zara. (running Zara 1.6.1...and want to run the wifi stick to remotely reboot it tonight...will be away at show time)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Burton

• jeffl

• George Simmons

• R Weiland

I have an AutoIT script I use to stop/start Zara that has been rock solid. I'm sure it could be modified to stop/shut it down and start it if you think Zara is the culprit.

I really wonder though Jeff....
Zara "most of the time" shuts off correctly and behaves quite well. I am just wondering if it is taking a resource away that LOR needs?

I'm not convinced that Zara is the problem. I'm just looking for a way to call George crazy. I'm confident the AutoIT setup I have could be modified to do an actual shutdown and not just stop the music. This would take it out of the equation automatically but not stop you from using it during off show times.

I would guess that as long as your above 1G of RAM your probably OK. I have 2gig. I'll have to go watch my display again and see if it's still there.

Most of the time I have heard of this happening it's not 100% consistent. So far my best fix is to just ignore it. So far it's working. :P

Robert Burton wrote:

I really wonder though Jeff....
Zara "most of the time" shuts off correctly and behaves quite well. I am just wondering if it is taking a resource away that LOR needs?

I, too, have no issue with Zara's performance. But my experience is totally repeatable. This afternoon I loaded and minimized Zara and then ran the show on demand. From the first sequence on, the sticking channels returned. As soon as I closed Zara they went away. Two songs later, I opened Zara again and almost immediately the problems reappeared.

I don't know how it might be related, but for what it's worth, the two controllers that go stupid are located six feet below my FM antenna. No cables of any kind run parallel or cross though - I have the coax to the antenna raised above everything.

George are you using any special sound card, drivers or other software? If Zara is the problem, I would setup a shutdown / start up setup for the program.

I could work on it if your interested in pursuing such an option.

My PC is pretty much a standard issue HP so I doubt there's anything special about it. Same PC I used last year except for Windows 7 SP1 added since then. Same Zara version as last year also.

From where I sit, Zara definitely seems to be the problem. Unless there's something in S3 that reacts poorly to Zara's presence. Thanks for the offer, but I know you have better things to do this time of year. Now that I've found the cause, it's a manageable issue.

I'll put it on my to do list to try and get done so that I can test it before the season ends. If it works like the current script I have then it's probably a good idea to unload it when the show starts and start it when it's done. It's hard to believe that it would be a bad thing to have it shutdown during the show.

This comes from the PC forum. Could firmware be showing up in this picture?????

Mine are incans. also that are sticking, I am running 2.9.4. I noticed it last night during the same some 2 or 3 times the same 3 channels stuck on during the song and went off after. I ran the song today with the seq. editor and it was fine, I ran a show on demand and it was fine..........I am going to reset the controller to see if that does anything. Most controllers are ver.4.32, 2- are ver.4.30 and 2- are ver.4.40, the one that is being most problemsom is 4.32

Interesting. My problems start at a controller that is 4.32 and then goes down stream from there. Something odd, not sure if this is a issue or not...but it happens to be that the beginning of the problem chain...is the last controller (11 of 11 controllers) in the list. It just happened to be next in line on the display.

On mine...different computer. Had channels sticking tonight (street full of cars too). First time in several days that it has any sticking. However, tonight 2 updates were sitting on the computer when I sat in front of it. One was that windows wanted to clean up the desktop icons and the other was "Log Me In" wanted to do an update. Closed out the desktop thing and Log Me In...and see how that goes.

Firewall, updates, sounds and power saving power plan should all be turned off on the show machine. You never know when things might take off.

I do have everything turned off. Guess I will have to dig to find out where the updates like "desktop clean up" comes from. The "Log Me In" thing...I went ahead and updated it. So hopefully it won't bother me anymore...at least this week.

Still say there is a memory leak in S3. LogMeIn has been running with XP (Sp3) with the show flawlessly all week until last night. Yes. Only running 256mb ram... However S2 ran great with that.

jeffl wrote:

256 meg is all the machine has?
Have to go back and check...but I think that might be it. Is running just fine with that too.