Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels sticking

Robert Burton

Robert Burton wrote:

I keep seeing people mention about going back to an earlier version. Is there a issue of saving in 3.12 and then playing on the show computer in a older version?

Not sure about using an older version on the show computer. However, if you check the "Important Announcements" section Bob has recommended that people running 3.1.2 upgrade to 3.1.4 to correct bugs that could cause strange things during your show.It's worth a try.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Robert Burton

• jeffl

• George Simmons

• R Weiland

It will also stick (channnel(s) ) and then "unstick" later. So it doesn't stay on for long. Again...this is why I don't think it is hardware. It plays fine for a little bit, sticks, then unsticks...

ALRIGHT BETA TESTERS...ARE YOU LURKING ABOUT????

This just got me out of bed. Had I have to get up at 3:30am for a trip. Hope you can figure this out for a update when I get back ;-)

Channel 8 is sticking on 3 different controllers. All down stream from everything else that is working just fine.

Again...channel 8 is sticking on controllers at the end of the network line of 11 controllers. Sticks on, then will unstick.

When I noticed sticking, I could only tell it was happening for the most part on arches where it was very obvious.

It also only happened on sequences where I had almost all my channels doing fades, twinkle and shimmers at once. From 0 to boatloads of activity at once. In this case, I think it just overloaded the LOR network which is possible. Even in my case where it was only around 500 channels.

You might try to set the "Speed" for your LOR network to "Short Range (Faster)". Edit -> Preferences ->Network Preferences.

Unfortunately there are so many variables with these displays, it's try and try again. It's Been this way every year for me.

Man I am glad that came up quick in my first sequence. To go through the 13 sequences...and play them all would have taken forever this early morning. With in a seconds the first leg of a arch stuck....so I would say "No" to that.

I am running everything on one network. I have 11 controllers. Is there a break point for this?

Turn on the sound for connect/disconnect USB. Watch the show and listen for the ding/dong like when you connect a USB device. I'm interested if you hear the USB device connect and disconnect.

11 controllers I wouldn't think would be any problem no.

Ok. Will check when I am home from trip. In Orlando with my band, chorus and orchestra (188 middle school kids). Just saw the Osborne Lights tonight. Wow! Talked with the planner of the whole thing. Really cool. He just talked with Chuck Smith from PC last week and will be in the Dec. issue of the PC mag. Can't wait to see that!

If you can deal with that many kids you have what it takes to figure this out. I came home tonight, stopped to watch a song so I didn't interrupt a guest. When the song was done and the heavy hitting voice over started my fans started to stick.

Now I'm not happy. I thought I just had everything figured out. Sometimes I think its best if I just watch the lights from my cameras as I can't see most of these things. :D

Another local PC'er emailed me last night to say that he had a channel sticking as well. He is using 3.14.

Beta Testers???? Anything, anything?

I wonder if anyone has tried running their show with XLights. I might do some heavy reading when I get back tonight from Magic Kingdom......

So I get a call from daughter last night saying that 2 shows were running at the same time????? I think I fixed the problem in talking her thru stopping the show immediately then restarting it. Haven't verified anything yet, since not really awake from staying awake all night...keeping a bus driver awake! In a few hours will be working on these problems...as well as trying out XLights. Not really wanting to go that route but wanting some sort of back up to this craziness.

Robert Burton wrote:

Another local PC'er emailed me last night to say that he had a channel sticking as well. He is using 3.14.

Channel sticking ?

Sounds like a triac. Hardware problem.

Or a communications error, also hardware.

Sorry, beta testers don't test hardware, except our own.

JBullard wrote:

Robert Burton wrote:

Channel sticking ?

No, don't think it is a triac. If it were a triac, it would be failing more than it is.

Communication error...(i.e. cat5 cable or other network comm.)...don't think so because of the next "stuff" I'll type.

First- 2 shows going at once...turns out it was Zara Radio. Still not completely sure why. Looking into that.

I think the thing goes back to some sort of memory leak, needing more memory to run, etc.

Right before my show last night, I shut down Zara Radio (instead of the scheduler on Zara) and rebooted. Pulled the wifi stick in the other usb port as well. Show played beautifully with no problems. Looking back at my posts, this is not the first time it's happened like this. For now, when I am home, this will be the same procedure I will be doing until after Christmas.

Robert Burton wrote:

JBullard wrote:
Robert Burton wrote:

Channel sticking ?

No, don't think it is a triac.  If it were a triac, it would be failing more than it is.

Communication error...(i.e. cat5 cable or other network comm.)...don't think so because of the next "stuff" I'll type.

First- 2 shows going at once...turns out it was Zara Radio. Still not completely sure why. Looking into that.

I think the thing goes back to some sort of memory leak, needing more memory to run, etc.

Right before my show last night, I shut down Zara Radio (instead of the scheduler on Zara) and rebooted.  Pulled the wifi stick in the other usb port as well. Show played beautifully with no problems.  Looking back at my posts, this is not the first time it's happened like this. For now, when I am home, this will be the same procedure I will be doing until after Christmas.

Hopefully that solved your problem. I know of no way, despite your repeated requests, that a beta tester could have replicated your setup of Other software and Hardware. We just tested that S3 software worked as advertised without all the other stuff you had hooked to and had running on your computer

Sadly, not all beta testers are immune to problems. I'm having almost exactly the same issue(s) as Robert, except it is occuring mostly at the end of sequences. In my case it is a couple channels on one controller and up to all of them on the previous one in the daisy chain. None others - either upstream or downstream - are affected.

It started Wednesday or Thursday night after everything had been running fine since Thanksgiving. Since then I've reset both of those controllers at least twice each. I also reset the previous controller in line. I've changed out comm cables between the two affected controllers and also the previous one in line. I've rebooted my PC a number of times. I've uninstalled and re-installed S3. I uninstalled the new Beta and went back to the newest public releasae version.

So far, nothing has made any difference. I'm certain it isn't a triac since the affected channels go off when the next lighting command comes along or when the next sequence begins. Nor would an entire controller be affected. There has been nothing but dry weather here since Thanksgiving. I'm 100% certain it isn't a problem with the sequences and from day one I've always had lights off between songs. No power cables have been added or moved anywhere in the yard.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I still think most of it has to do with the amount of activity on the line. I have never seen it happen on any of my songs which are what I call normal activity. It only happens on my voice overs where I have an insane amount of activity all at once.

I'm sure there is a limit to the amount of activity that the LOR protocols or controllers can interpret in a perfect world. It would be nice to know if you are exceeding this threshold but I have never seen anything from LOR talking about the topic.

Then you have some of us that are running 400 plus channels on one network, running less than perfect setups, and I think this is what happens.

Go ahead and call me crazy - it won't be the first time nor will it be the last. But I think Mr. Burton is onto something. After I posted earlier this evening something was nagging at me and I went back and re-read his last few posts. Zara Radio!

My Zara habits changed about the same time as my problems started. Early on, I'd close the Zara program after LOR started up so I'd have one less chance of doing something to create an errant sound while I was sitting at the PC. Last few nights, I've either been shooting video or we've had company so Zara has run minimized doing nothing.

After posting earlier tonight I closed the Zara program. That was about 8:30. From that moment on, the show has run perfectly. I'm not smart enough to know what it was doing to cause problems, but I AM bright enough to recognize patterns and I think I'm seeing one, especially since Robert had the same apparent success. Thank you sir for reporting your own experiences so thoroughly.

I'm running Zara 1.6.2 - same as last year. I'll keep y'all posted.