Light-O-Rama Forums

this is for the newbies

james campbell

t purser wrote:

heck i work at lowes and thay think wait not think KNOW INM CRAZY:]:]:]

hmmmmm...

do I hear EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT for all the forum members!!!!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• David Rise

• caniac

• james campbell

• jimswinder

Maybe he can get Lowes to buy HD then we could all get EMPLOYEE DISCOUNTS at either store :P

t purser wrote:

hd a dirty word go 48 discount hummm the shipping would eat up the differance

doesn't Lowes ship free to their own stores??????

meaning it could be shipped to my local Lowes store?

llol its called icb you trying to get me fired lol id have to take it off perm myself or thayed know it was for someoneelse

Thanks for the information on the light shipments being delayed.

I got my power panel assembled (posted pics in the coffee shop). Still have to install the outlet from the main box.

This is my first year, so my budget is almost spent.

My plan is 16 areas and 4 controllers, 1 controller per color.

David Rise wrote:

This is my first year, so my budget is almost spent.

If you still have unspent money, you are DEFINITELY a newbie!! :P

David Rise wrote:

hmmm..depending on where you are putting your controllers, that could be a LOT of extra, un-needed extension cords!!

Are you putting your controllers in one central area (like your garage) or putting them amongst your display?

You may want to re-think your thought about one controller per color...

Or at least show me the error of my thinking (which is not too hard to do...right George? LOL)

jimswinder wrote:

David Rise wrote:

hmmm..depending on where you are putting your controllers, that could be a LOT of extra, un-needed extension cords!!

Are you putting your controllers in one central area (like your garage) or putting them amongst your display?

Or at least show me the error of my thinking (which is not too hard to do...right George?  LOL)

I know the feeling. I live in a town house, and I'm putting my display in the "common" area. I had to get the associations approval, they where all happy, but asked that I keep the boxes in my fenced area! So, that makes it that I need 48 chords. At $16 a pop it's buying one a week, hoping the price will drop.

Arnoldc wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
David Rise wrote:

Or at least show me the error of my thinking (which is not too hard to do...right George? LOL)

I know the feeling. I live in a town house, and I'm putting my display in the "common" area. I had to get the associations approval, they where all happy, but asked that I keep the boxes in my fenced area! So, that makes it that I need 48 chords. At $16 a pop it's buying one a week, hoping the price will drop.
have you tried using spt-2?

khawes wrote:

I'm still struggling with the layout :P Every time I think I have it in my head, I end up not liking how it comes out on paper.

I'm right there with you. I've never had a plan in my mind or on paper, with the static display it has been a different setup each year for the last 20 years.

Now I find myself stuck trying to measure and plan where things are going to go, haven't attempted the visualizer yet.....

The one thing I'm trying to get the hang of is setting the different timing grids. This way I can plug in the elements later when (if) I can decide where they are going.

to James Campbell - Kids are a HUGE help, abuse them while they are there to abuse :) (2010 was my first year for LOR and my first year as an empty nester) Now that the garage is cleaned out from Christmas, the motorcycle and fishing boat are hopefully coming out of storage this weekend :)

Arnoldc wrote:

jimswinder wrote:
David Rise wrote:

$16 a pop?! Where you getting them from, Macy's? Menards usually has 20' for around $5 and 40' around $8. Watch for their sales or rebates, nobody beats Menards on cords. The best prices are usually before Thanksgiving, I think they have a sale before Halloween too. If you do the rebates, be sure to send them in on time, they do a good job honoring their rebate program.

scubado wrote:

Arnoldc wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
David Rise wrote:

$16 a pop?!  Where you getting them from, Macy's?  Menards usually has 20' for around $5 and 40' around $8.  Watch for their sales or rebates, nobody beats Menards on cords.  The best prices are usually before Thanksgiving, I think they have a sale before Halloween too.  If you do the rebates, be sure to send them in on time, they do a good job honoring their rebate program.

No menards in tx. I've been getting my 70' at lowes. The shorter cables that I need (20') are about $8. But every time I go to pick some up, they are out of stock.

Jim Saul wrote:

khawes wrote:
I'm still struggling with the layout :P Every time I think I have it in my head, I end up not liking how it comes out on paper.

I'm right there with you. I've never had a plan in my mind or on paper, with the static display it has been a different setup each year for the last 20 years.

Now I find myself stuck trying to measure and plan where things are going to go, haven't attempted the visualizer yet.....

The one thing I'm trying to get the hang of is setting the different timing grids. This way I can plug in the elements later when (if) I can decide where they are going.

to James Campbell - Kids are a HUGE help, abuse them while they are there to abuse :) (2010 was my first year for LOR and my first year as an empty nester) Now that the garage is cleaned out from Christmas, the motorcycle and fishing boat are hopefully coming out of storage this weekend :)

he is my only one so spoiled yes abused no. but i know what you mean.he is a great kid,loves to mow grass and help with lor. he is currently working on a medoly of his favorite new songs should be cool

jimswinder wrote:

Or at least show me the error of my thinking (which is not too hard to do...right George? 

Jim, you usually make it waaaaay to easy. I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of us "old timers" usually wait a while to respond to your posts. We've found that in many, if not most cases, all it takes is a few minutes (or sometimes hours for the really difficult stuff) and when we check back you've already solved the dillemma or you've seen the answer staring you in the face before anyone even needed to say a word. If PCs were as self-correcting as you are the geek squad would be out of work.

George Simmons wrote:

Jim, you usually make it waaaaay to easy. I don't know if you've noticed, but a lot of us "old timers" usually wait a while to respond to your posts.

I make it easy becasue you ARE an old timer!!!

Don't want to be the one responsible for "over taxing" your brain and the ensuing heart attack...

:P

So with that said...am I missing something to why you would want to have one color per controller?

Jim Saul wrote:

khawes wrote:

8< snip >8

Call me crazy (yea, I know opened myself up there didn't I? LOL) but I put my display up differently every year, I place my decorations THEN I place my controllers where they will use the least amount of extension cords.

However, this year (my 2nd) the controllers are all bolted inside a large desk I got from a neighbor and will all be in one area, fortunately the display is also going to be more compact, so I won't need that many extension cords this year, so I know I have enough. So I'll place the "control desk" where it's going in the back of everything, cover it with black cloth and place my 5 Jack O' Lanterns on top of that. Then I just need to get power to all the display items from the controllers.

Probably won't take me over a day or two to put up this years display, unlike lasty year which took me about a week, week and a half or so to get up.

The biggest challenge I face will be getting everything out of storage I need for this years set up! Now that could take a few days!

No menards in tx. I've been getting my 70' at lowes. The shorter cables that I need (20') are about $8. But every time I go to pick some up, they are out of stock.

Texas. At HEB you can get 25' for around $6-7, and 50' for $8-9. Here in Austin you can get decent prices at Fry's as well. Of course you could always buy a spool of lamp cable and make your own. In my case it makes my wife feel safer if I just buy the extension cords.

jimswinder wrote:

So with that said...am I missing something to why you would want to have one color per controller?

I hate to do it, but, I have to agree with Jim, Why one color per controller??? If I have to put myself in the same boat as Jim, I don't understand that reasoning. I can possibly see one color per channel, but not per controller. Please explain. :P