• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• travis p

• Caleb Linburg

• Max-Paul

• caniac

Guest guest

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I wanted the MBB transmitter but it has been sold out for a long time does anyone know when the new one will be out?

http://www.mobileblackbox.com/content/view/42/76/

Caleb, I have sent an e-mail to MBB asking them about the status of this transmitter myself. I use one for my display and have been seriously considering a second unit.

I want to use the second uinit in my vehicle when I'm trackside photographing trains, this way I could plug my railscanner into it and just carry a small pocket-sized FM receiver to hear the train crews and dispatchers, and not have to dismount my scanner from the dashboard or the vehicle antenna.

The unit has been out of stock for quite some time now, I hope they aren't going to discontinue it! As it is a fantastic transmitter and I really love mine.

I'll post any information I receive from Mobile Black Box once I get a reply as to when, or if they are going to continue this unit or if they have opted to retire it.

Stay tuned (no pun intended).

anyone using the WoWLIghts whole room transmitter? Order it last week and should have it tomorrow.

Guest guest

caniac wrote:

anyone using the WoWLIghts whole room transmitter? Order it last week and should have it tomorrow.

If that's the same one LOR sells here(no offense to LOR, they didn't build it, they just sell it as an add on option), but most folks I know have had problems with it, and look to get something else. Most here use an EDM, I use the MBB Eclipse 4000, but as stated, it's out of stock presently.

I'd suggest testing that transmitter out really well or possiby just sending it back and get a refund and buy the EDM(you'll have to build it) or any of the other FM Transmitters folks use here.

Just know the Whole House Transmitter has never been much of a favorite to anyone that bought, used and then returned it. Most reviews of it are not very good and usually recommend to stay away from it.

I had actually considered "The Whole House Transmitter" when I was seeking an FM Transmitter in 2009 for my 2010 displays. From what I read of most folks opinions of it, I went with the Mobile Black Box Eclipse 4000, but that was mainly because I did not want to build one (like the EDM), I wanted one already built and ready to rock and roll right out of the box!

caniac wrote:

I got it. Did a test with it and got good distance as is. They include a antenna, but I dunno how well that works yet.

Arnoldc wrote:

caniac wrote:

I got it. Did a test with it and got good distance as is. They include a antenna, but I dunno how well that works yet.

What kind of range did you get?

im fairly new to this blinky light stuff but theres one thing i know about is radio transmitters i did searches and compared specs for about 4 months befor i ordered mine now im not a geek none of the other brands can'T hold a CANDLE TO THE EDM IT COMES WITH A WIRE TEST ANTENNA AND I HAVE HEARD OF FOLKS USING IT ONLY BUT THE BEST WAY IS WITH AN EXTERNAL DIPOLE OR TUNEABLE 1/4 WAVE OR HALF WAVE IF YOU HAVE THE ROOM BUT I DID NOT REALY MAKE MY MIND UP ON IT TILL I TALKED TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE THIS SET UP VERSUS WHAT FOLKS WHO HAVE THE OTHERS HAVE TOLD ME IF YOU HAVE NO WAY TO CHECK STANDING WAVE IE SWR AND ARE PLANING TO GO WITH AN EXTERNAL ANTENNA go edm THE OTHERS CAN T HANDLE HIGH SWR HIGH STANDING WAVE RATIOS WILL CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE TRANSMITTERS

caniac wrote:

I had the WHT, all I can say is that I sent mine back for a refund.

MikeH

Guest guest

Caleb Linburg wrote:

I wanted the MBB transmitter but it has been sold out for a long time does anyone know when the new one will be out?

Caleb,

Here's what Mobile Black Box had to say, just received an e-mail from them, copied and pasted below (in red):

Hi,

We may have some refurbished Eclipse-4000 units available in 30-60 days.

We will be offering a new generation of FM transmitters in late 2011.

So it appears they are, in fact, phasing out the MBB Eclipse 4000 and will be offering a new unit. Hope it will still be the same size and features of the MBB Eclipse 4000.

Now I wonder how much those refurb ubnits are going to go for? As I sure wouldn't pay full price for a refurb unit!

So if you're interested in a refurb unit, you may want to go to their website and click the contact button for sales info, and ask about getting one of them. But since they said "may have", the also denotes they may not either. Doesn't hurt to ask though.

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Caleb, i'm a newbie at this too and i got one from fry's and it would not transmitter more than 20ft if that. i return it ....i got one off of ebay and this thing works great!!! i set it up with the antenna kit that came with it in my living room plug my ipod to it... i got in my car and drove about a mile away and it was clear as a bell. here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/FMUSER-7w-PLL-broadcast-FM-transmitter-GP-antenna-set-/260711044975?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb396d76f

the price is not bad $125.00

later

May I suggest you search for other threads on tranmission distance on unlincensed frequencies. It could get you in trouble with the authorities if you are transmitting as far as a mile away !!

Just a caution !

Dave

Guest guest

Caleb Linburg wrote:

HLLY is a good tranmsitter from what I've read about them. That's a good price since they are a LOT more EXPEN$IVE on the HLLY site!

Also I have heard that the MBB tranmsitters actually use either a very similar or possibly even the same circuitry as the HLLY.

EDIT: I'd e-mail the seller and see if you get an antenna with it! Didn't see any mention of an antenna, transmitter is useless without an antenna, and you need one that is compatible with the unit if it doesn't!

Guest guest

Caleb Linburg wrote:

My only concern with this one is this:

Frequency range: 76 ~ 108Mhz

In the US, FM transmitters start on 88Mhz and go to 108Mhz, so this one could possibly be considered illegal for use in the US due to it is able to go below the 88Mhz range.

Hopefully someone here can point you(us) to a link to know for certain. As I can't say definitely.

I've just never seen any US FM transmitters for sale that goes below 88Mhz. So that would definitely be a major concern of mine before I'd buy one that did.

Guest guest

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Does anyone know if MBB would have a warranty or a return policy on refurbished products?

[align=center]
Should have the same return/warranty as a new unit.[/align]

Guest guest

Caleb Linburg wrote:

Well with that being said. Do cars go that low?

Not in the US, every digital radio I own and use home, car, portable, none go below 88Mhz.