Light-O-Rama Forums

Radio Transmitter Questions

GalenInTn

I came home on the 26th and my radio transmitter wasn't working. After alot of attempts to get it working and even more cussing, I realized it was dead. So, it's time for a replacement. I've been looking at the Mobile Black Box and the EDM. But, I want to know about the value, quality, pluses and drawbacks of each. If there are other transmitters out there worth looking at, do tell.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Max-Paul

• Greg Young

• GalenInTn

• dominic

This was only my 3rd year of a display, so I'm sure there are others with much better information for you. But the 1st year, I used a Ramsey and it worked fine. 2nd year started, and it didn't matter what frequency I tried, it was full of static even when parked directly in front of our house.

So I switched to Mobile Black Box and have loved it. The digital read-out & frequency selection is great. On a clear night, I can still pick up the music from about 1 mile away. I've been highly impressed by that, and I made the decision to go with that equipment based on other comments I had seen in these forums.

Good luck!

In 2008 I spent about two months looking at every FM transmitter I could find. I talked to about 100 people, read every forum message and became more confused by each day.

Being a retired military radio tech, I pretty much knew what I was doing and whatI wanted. I looked at each design and what chip sets were being used.

I talked some people that used the EDM and finally emailed EDM. They pretty much told me if I was not 100% happy, they would take it back.

I bought the EDM LCD and have been 100% happy with it. When I received the unit, it took me about 5 minutes from the time I opened the box to the time I had it transmitting.

I use it all year at home. It's great for events at my house when there a several people wathign a sporting event. Instead of turning up the volume on the TV, I have several FM radios all round and keep the volume low. That way everyone can hear and yet poople can talk to each other and not bother those wanting to listen.

Buy yourself an EDM. If you aren't happy, I'll buy it from you.

I too had the confusion 3 years ago. many china made units and really no specification that looked good, then came across the EDM here on the forums.

After doing my homework bought the EDM because the people behind it cared about there products and where proud of there work.

How many companies do you know automatically extend the warranty from 1 to 3 years now matter if you had bought one a year earlier.

Only EDM and LOR really stand out with service and warranty and backup the products claims and repairs if needed.

Add my vote to the EDM tally. I bought a LCD model in 2008 and it has worked flawlessly ever since. In 2010 I added a Ramsey j-pole antenna and combined they sound as good as any commercial station. I couldn't be more pleased...

Ok, things are starting to get lop sided, so I will jump into this fray also.

This is my 2nd year with the E4000 from MBB. I too am happy with my unit. As noted it does put out a strong signal at about .5W. But by putting a in-line attenuator of 10db your signal will drop down to .05W and will fall into what I would consider to be legal or damn close to be legal. As many have noted and I have heard in other quarters. FCC is only going to slap you down in you are blatantly ignoring the rules. If it appears that you are trying to stick to the intent of the law. They more than likely will give you a warning with a stern turn it off till you get it fixed.

Now would I buy a EDM transmitter? Yes in a heart beat, but I do not have that kind money laying around at this time. Might of fact I think I would get the RDS LCD version.

Another vote here for the MBB. Had mine two years now with not a single problem. And they ship fast!

-=coasterbp

I'm planning on getting a TX too this year.What are thoughts about the one available from LOR? It looks to fit my needs from what I can tell.

scubado wrote:

I'm planning on getting a TX too this year.What are thoughts about the one available from LOR? It looks to fit my needs from what I can tell.

Boy, I hate shiting in my own back yard, but. The unit I believe you are referring to is the Whole House 2 unit? The dont walk away, but run. I am saying this only cause of all of the negative comments that have been posted here and on PC. about this transmitter. Now for the same price you can get a MBB E4000 transmitter that I have heard of maybe two people have a problem and a heck of lot of rave reviews. And I cant say I have heard any complaints about the EDM radios and rave reviews from those folks. But you can buy two E4000 and have a back-up for the price of one EDM. EDM people cants say that, now can they?

But in the end, its your choice.

Max-Paul wrote:

scubado wrote:

Boy, I hate s*****g in my own back yard, but. The unit I believe you are referring to is the Whole House 2 unit? The dont walk away, but run. I am saying this only cause of all of the negative comments that have been posted here and on PC. about this transmitter. Now for the same price you can get a MBB E4000 transmitter that I have heard of maybe two people have a problem and a heck of lot of rave reviews. And I cant say I have heard any complaints about the EDM radios and rave reviews from those folks. But you can buy two E4000 and have a back-up for the price of one EDM. EDM people cants say that, now can they?

But in the end, its your choice.

I've heard of quite a few complaints about the Whole House POS. So, I wasn;t even putting that one on the list. I guess the biggest part of my decision is value. If it cost a little more, but the value is there, then I'm willing to pay. But if there is no worth while point to the extra money, then duh, go with the cheaper one.

With LOR's great reputation, why sell the whole house 2 transmitter if it's not that great?

Where does one buy the MMB E4000?

It's simple. If you want really high quality, you buy EDM.

Let me put it another way. You wanted high quality controllers so you bought from LOR. Why do anything different for your radio?

scubado wrote:

With LOR's great reputation, why sell the whole house 2 transmitter if it's not that great?

Because it is one of the very few transmitters that is FCC certified to part 15 regs.

scubado wrote:

Where does one buy the MMB E4000?

That was a good question, but seems that JB has given a good answer to. As to where does on buy the MBB E4000 ? just google Mobile Black Box. If I also typed MMB then forgive me. It was supposed to have been MBB..And I will say again. one should get a inline 10db attenuator to make an honest effort to comply with the FCC Part 15 regulation.

You all do realize that on a given day your signal may extend past the letter of the law and on a different day it might only get across the street where as on a normal day it might go 3 or 4 houses away. Propagation is a wicked thing with time of day and season and weather issues constantly changing the range.