Light-O-Rama Forums

Color Pixel Guide, Quickstart Guide Latest Firmware

LightORamaJohn

Steve Constantino wrote:

dmoore wrote:
Steve Constantino wrote:
It looks like they are going to have a good product. There are way more uses for this type of strand rather then a ribbon. Also I hope they have more than one option for controlling it. Like DMX or Artnet or the standard 485 LOR network. Because Power Line Carrier SUCKS!!! I don't think it's that stable. It's to much like X10, I hate X10. As long as it can also have a separate data line it will be grate.

This is how it should be done: http://www.response-box.com/rgb/

Steve

Steve -

I've got 2,000 RGB channels in my display this year and I can stay that, for me, I've found Pixel Strip (ribbon in LOR terms) and Pixel Modules (section of sealed strip) to be much more useful than Pixel Nodes (bulbs). The area where nodes seem to be useful is matrix or megatrees but for smaller elements, strip or modules are a much better bang for the buck than these 8mm RGB nodes. Keep in mind that to mount them, they require very accurate holes (usually 12.5mm) to grip the sides of the node and then the surface area is pretty shallow. Think about how you'd use the bulbs along a gutter, roof line, mini tree, bushes, etc. Here are some samples using modules and strip:

http://www.vimeo.com/16366467
http://www.vimeo.com/13722462
http://www.vimeo.com/13382282

If you are thinking that the PLC stuff is like X10, you'd be wrong. I've seen this in operation and it appears to be nothing but rock solid. First off, all the power for the "signal injector" is filtered so all that is on the power line is the signal - nothing else to cause it problems or for it to have to deal with split phase, all which caused X10 to have a bad name. Also, DMX and the LOR protocol are completely unrelated to 485. 485 is to ethernet as TCP/IP is to DMX.

I like having pixel nodes. For me it seems more use full for Pixel mapping video. Curently I am using 100 of these for a job and they work grate.
http://www.colorkinetics.com/ls/rgb/flexmx/

My dislike for X10 comes years of home automation. I have seen more X10 systems unreliable than reliable. I have removed many X10 systems to be replace with AMX or Crestron.

I know PLC and X10 are different. BUT it's the "idea" of sending data over power that I don't like.

DMX and LOR are both forms of RS485 so in a way they are related.

Steve

I too understand the concern over X10, I've used it and I had it in my 30k HA system in my last house for selected functions, yes it has issues but they can often be dealt with.

I'm not sure why technically it's a bad idea, is the same idea used in ethernet over power and also the new SmartMeters. So, it can be done correctly. Never the less, if you just want pixel nodes, that was possible this year for under $40 per controller (no PLC of course). It's the PLC that really makes these devices unique.

I'm sorry but I just don't see how DMX and LOR are "forms" of RS485. RS485 is a standard that defines the method by which electrical signals transfer data. DMX and LOR are both "above" the hardware, hence why it runs over PLC - it's not a hardware spec, it's a protocol and could be run over anything (Ethernet, wireless, PLC, etc).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmoore

• LightORamaJohn

• ItsMeBobO

• heystew

dmoore,

Now wait a minute. power over IP is this not power that is ran on one of the pairs that are not in use? Where as the PLC is a signal that is superimposed onto the wires carrying actual voltage and current? Slightly different animals these two are. Are they not?

Jeff Millard wrote:

The night I first met you we were chatting with Glenn and he said you need to get into the LED business so we can buy from you. I had no idea you were gonna make these things. I'm in for a minimum of 8 sets on my first purchase. Add an option to double the number of lights in the string and I'll add the extensions to the order.

Jeff said WHAT?

Max-Paul wrote:

dmoore,

Now wait a minute. power over IP is this not power that is ran on one of the pairs that are not in use? Where as the PLC is a signal that is superimposed onto the wires carrying actual voltage and current? Slightly different animals these two are. Are they not?

When I said "is the same idea used in ethernet over power and also the new SmartMeters" - I was refering to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_line_communication and not this (power over ethernet): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet which is sending low voltage over additional pairs in a CAT5 cable. Yes, they are two different things. LOR is using PLC. The RJ solution is more like POE (switching 485 with ethernet).

I like dmoore here would like to know if if the rgb nodes will be available this year. As well as a ballpark figure on pricing. I'm hoping for a responce soon as I would like to figure out what I'm going to add this year before all the presales are over.

I agree. If we KNOW what to plan for LOR nodes, then we will not spend hundreds of thousands on other's solutions. I know I have about 5k budgeted for it this year but it would be nice to know what and when on the LOR nodes instead of what I am looking at now.

May not be possible of course- but I am always adding NEW stuff to my display and I prefer an official LOR solution over any other if they are available.
R

The Cosmic Color Bulbs will definitely be available this year and they will have a PLC option. The price has not been established so I cannot give you one yet.

Dan

The wire harness looks to be four conductor? Cutting the CCR ribbons was one thing, this looks much more doable. Question 1 is what maximum distance can you have between two nodes, and 2) will cutting the cable void the warranty?

I have enjoyed the CCR technology and this is something which can really take off. Looking forward to this becoming reality, and some improvements to the annimation visualizer?

Question on the CCB controller: how long is the lead from the controller to the lights? Can it be extended? (if so, how far?) have any suitable weather resistant housings been identified, that do well at minimizing the visual impact?

I too am interested in spacing between the CCB controller and the first bulb, and if it it can be extended. I've got a 10 to 15 foot gap between the eves and one controller 100 bulb 2 string package would do the job if I can bridge the gap.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Now that the CCB manual is out, we can close out the questions above about leader length and cutting the strings,

Leader length:
A bulb string is 26.5 feet long, 24.5 feet of bulbs on 6” centers and a 2 foot leader to the controller.

Warranty when cut
Note that LOR cannot warranty a bulb string that has been cut. LOR does stock bulb string sections that can be purchased should you damage your string.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I got the notice about the sale and was looking at the RGB Pixel strings, if I currently have 4 controllers connected via an RS485 adapter, how would the Pixel controller get connected?
Also, how would I connect more than 1 Pixel controller? Multiple 485's? or do they get daisy chained together?

jonnyci wrote:

OK, so I got the notice about the sale and was looking at the RGB Pixel strings, if I currently have 4 controllers connected via an RS485 adapter, how would the Pixel controller get connected?
Also, how would I connect more than 1 Pixel controller? Multiple 485's? or do they get daisy chained together?

The Pixel controllers daisy chain in just like any other controller that you have.

Dan

• 6 months later...

I followed the guide all the way thru to #6 Thats were i am having problem. IT's problely some thing simple, but im lost on this . Any help would be great. A tutorial video would be great, but have'nt found one yet.

• 6 months later...