Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter - Which one is best?

Tom L.

I love my EDM. I used shield Mini to RCA cables, A quad shielded coax cable to the ruff and made a Dipole. NO hum on high or low setting. This things rocks. I got 3/4 a mile away on the 100mw setting. Will drop it to the 10mw. Little strong for my comfort. By far I recommend the EDM LCD to anyone. I might have to get another as a backup. The sound from this transmitter is outstanding. As far as the Dipole it cost me less then $45 including the coax cable,pvc, brass rods, paint and adapters. Ok time to go play with the transmitter some more.

Attached files 179687=10217-100_0878.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steven

• Tom L.

• Max-Paul

• gail bell

The mobile black box eclipse 4000 is a great product however you need to be careful with their warranty. Mine started having trouble about 9 months from the date of purchase (bad sound quality and took an awfully long time to pick up a frequency)so i talked to them about it and found out their warranty is only 3 months. Insane when you think others have 5 year warranties now

friskybri wrote:

As far as the Dipole it cost me less then $45 including the coax cable,pvc, brass rods, paint and adapters.

Here's the quarter wave ground plane vertical I built with PVC, brass rods, paint, and adapters:

Attached files 180336=10252-IMG_1692.JPG

Is an antenna that large really necessary? All I want is for reception to be 400-500 foot. I don't need or want to broadcast a mile away.

My black box came with an antenna, but I think it needs to be a little bigger. How do I go about making something a little bigger, just not like the above pictures?

I know it has an SMA connector, but that is about it.

Thanks, Zach

vipzach wrote:

Is an antenna that large really necessary?

No, it's not really necessary, unless your house has a metal roof and a metal garage door, as ours does.

Steven wrote:

vipzach wrote:
Is an antenna that large really necessary?

No, it's not really necessary, unless your house has a metal roof and a metal garage door, as ours does.

I do have a metal garage door and there is where my controller and computer are located. That is why I was thinking an antenna would help, that I could rub into the attic.

vipzach wrote:

I do have a metal garage door and there is where my controller and computer are located. That is why I was thinking an antenna would help, that I could rub into the attic.

The attic would work best for you. Your signal would be able to get out over the metal garage door.

Since your antenna will be sheltered from the elements, the easiest choice would be a dipole made out of 12-gauge wire. There are several sites out there where you put in your frequency and it calculates the length you need. You would hang the antenna from the rafters.

Steven wrote:

vipzach wrote:

The attic would work best for you. Your signal would be able to get out over the metal garage door.

Since your antenna will be sheltered from the elements, the easiest choice would be a dipole made out of 12-gauge wire. There are several sites out there where you put in your frequency and it calculates the length you need. You would hang the antenna from the rafters.

Thanks Steven, I will try and research it tonight when I get home from work.

• 1 year later...