Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Transmitter - Which one is best?

Tom L.

Just to throw my two cents in. I just purchased an EDM unit and it took me ten minutes to have it put together and transmitting. There were four chips that you lightly push into sockets.

The only soldering was two wires for the power connection. Very basic stuff and the directions clearly show where everything goes. Even if you are not an electronics person you only have to solder two wires one red and one black and the terminals are marked red and black so unless you are color blind this is very simple and straight forward.

The only issue I have had is on the higher power setting it picks up a hum when the transmitter is by anything with a magnetic field like your speakers.

I have not tried moving the transmitter away with a longer cable to see if the hum goes away at high power. I am also going to try using a shielded antenna cable to see if that will clear things up. At high power I can transmit about a one mile range. At low power I get about 300 feet that is a rock solid clear signal. I have had a lot of fun with this little radio unit.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steven

• Tom L.

• Max-Paul

• gail bell

I have this one and I have used it for 3 years now. I am very happy with it. I mounted the antenna that came with it on the exhaust vent on my roof with zip ties.

I was able to get it 40 blocks away!

Make sure you check on the power cable, I had to purchase one separately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-WATT-POWER-FM-RADIO-STATION-BROADCAST-TRANSMITTER-PLL_W0QQitemZ320381458650QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a983918da&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

Jim

javerill wrote:

I have this one and I have used it for 3 years now. I am very happy with it. I mounted the antenna that came with it on the exhaust vent on my roof with zip ties.

I was able to get it 40 blocks away!

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-WATT-POWER-FM-RADIO-STATION-BROADCAST-TRANSMITTER-PLL_W0QQitemZ320381458650QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a983918da&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&_trkparms=%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A30

Wow Jim.... 5 Watts! I'm surprised that the FCC hasn't beat the hinges off your door yet ;-) I'm even more surprised that you can buy this in the USA. I thought the FCC banned shipments of transmitters over 25 mW. Do you really need that much power?

It does look like a solid unit with a buch of power for the price. However, I'd be afraid to run it in my community.

FYI

The EDM is changing from a 3 year warranty to a 5 year by the end of this year.
Thats retroactive for all current owners.

The EDM with RDS should be out soon. There are members who have been using it in prototype form for a while now. They will be offering it complete with RDS chip (or add chip later) form ... and will also have the cables available as well.

I also heard they might offer a one-time upgrade for existing EDM LCD owers to basically to do a group board swap (combined shipping there and back) and then with a minor case mod (notch added), you put in the new board and use the mini USB cable and your old EDM LCD is a new EDM LCD w/RDS. That said, a lot of people could care less about RDS ... but it IS cool !!

I concur that the installation is a cake walk, its a skill level "1" type project. If I could do it ... so can YOU !!

There may be some surprises coming soon ... I just have my own hunch. Stay tuned.

I still haven't heard if there will be a group buy or not this year, but if EDM offers it, I will host again. If they don't, I may buy some (as I did late last year) and offer it to members along with a cable & antenna as a kit for a modest mark-up.

These transmitters are excellent ... and its true that a longer and higher-quality cable can help reduce that buzz you sometimes hear when located next to electronic devices.

Scott

Nice Info Scott... thanks for the update. I have two clients interested in the RDS unit from EDM so I am monitoring this thread for them. I'm looking forward to playing with it myself before setting it up for them.

I've also received a surprising number of other PMs and emails from people asking about where to get transmitters. I'd like to post your information on my message board if you are ok with that. If I post a link to this thread on my board, I'm not sure if people will be able to access a link to this board without being a member. Perhaps someone can clarify that for me? If links work to this thread without being a member, then maybe I will do that instead.

Richard

Richard, I have no problem with you sharing information elsewhere.

I believe you can read these forums as non-member, you just can't post.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2 Cents worth. The EDM is an excellent transmitter and someday I'll get a proper Antenna for it and have super reception!
But the sound quality of the EDM far surpasses any that I have heard!

-Evan

taybrynn wrote:

I still haven't heard if there will be a group buy or not this year, but if EDM offers it, I will host again. If they don't, I may buy some (as I did late last year) and offer it to members along with a cable & antenna as a kit for a modest mark-up.

These transmitters are excellent ... and its true that a longer and higher-quality cable can help reduce that buzz you sometimes hear when located next to electronic devices.

Scott

Scott:

If you do hear of a group by please let me know. I was just readin on the EDM website that the only hold up on the RDS units are the enclosures haven't arived yet.

Thanks

Go over to Planet Christmas! Chuck has a signature generator that you can link to your profile here. All the instructions you need will be there!

The EDM units are in stereo. I really enjoy the simplicity of mine. If I should ever need to change a channel it is as simple as pushing the up or down button. No charts or dip switches, ect. It has been a very robust little unit and has given me no problems whatsoever. I really debated on spending the little bit more money on the unit but now that I have it I am glad I spent the money for it.

lor_32_snow_blue.gif

10000_darkgray_blue_7.gif