brichi

Case for Pixie16 and 2 P/S'?

87 posts in this topic

thanks guys, I'm going to walk around home depot later and see if i find something i can use otherwise ill grab the $80 from eBay 

52 minutes ago, brichi said:

thanks guys, I'm going to walk around home depot later and see if i find something i can use otherwise ill grab the $80 from eBay 

Just wanted to let you know if you are using 12v you will need 2 ps's. I was thinking 5v the other day. I almost messed myself up too.

yes, i ordered 2-12v 350watt, thank you

I just grabbed this from Home Depot for $20, this is the layout I plan on adding the exhaust hole and small fan to suck out the hot air

new box layout

2 minutes ago, brichi said:

I just grabbed this from Home Depot for $20, this is the layout I plan on adding the exhaust hole and small fan to suck out the hot air

new box layout

I left you a note in the other thread. Hope you saw it. Just some tips with that box.

yes thank you! I'm ordering the vent and fan now too

3 minutes ago, brichi said:

yes thank you! I'm ordering the vent and fan now too

Also you can go to Home Depot and get some nylon screws PN 138981 8/32 X 1/2" $.56 for pack of 2 (securing the ps) and spacers/ washers PN 423457 .257 X 1/2 X 1/8" (airflow). They are located in the bins in the hardware isle and the bins I believe are blue and say nylon fasteners.

I use these for my model railroading whenever I have to connect something close to the track. Will prevent a chance of shorting something out if you screw into the ps to deep. I also have a plate so you may have to substitute the nylon screws to suit your mounting requirements.

JR

perfect, I am heading to depot tomorrow for a small 12x12 piece of plexiglass to mount everything too, ill pick them up

12 hours ago, brichi said:

perfect, I am heading to depot tomorrow for a small 12x12 piece of plexiglass to mount everything too, ill pick them up

FYI- the mounting plate I have were ordered from HC. They are 1/8" thick so if you want to use the above screws try to find your plexiglass in 1/8" thick. Also there are 6 of those nylon washers/ spacer in each pack. I don't know why they couldn't put the same qty in a pack of screws. I just purchased all they had since I will be needing them at some point.

JR

1 person likes this

you are running 1 power line in and then jumping to other power supply right? i don't have to do 2-120 separate lines in right? 

21 minutes ago, brichi said:

you are running 1 power line in and then jumping to other power supply right? i don't have to do 2-120 separate lines in right? 

It is only 700W. a 16Ga power cord will do as long as it is under 50' :P

Yeah. Maybe 20 feet from outlet to first ps then I'll jump to second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

getting there

1Photo Feb 18, 12 19 05 PM.jpg

I just got my "Pre-season" order in from HolidayCoro. I ordered some of their "Rainproof"  (12V/5V) PS  so they don't need to be inside the boxes with the PCB as long as you

mount with the :

1)fan end down

2)with the fan end at least a foot above a flat surface  (same as the CTB16PC's outlets) to avoid splash

This keeps major heat out of the box and reduces the size needed for single PCB

I also found a splash resistant Marine Fuse block (uses the same size fuses as the PCB)

Edited by TheDucks
add

I was just pulling out of my driveway and Fedex was delivering my boxes. Email said delivery next Wed! 2 day delivery, very good and not expected.

When I return home I may start my project

Needed enclousure for 1 PS and yet to purchase Falcon F16v3, which isn't a small boards.  Wasn't happy with how cramp it was going to be and with the id of maybe needing a 2nd PS down the road, starting looking for a larger enclosure, w/o going overboard in size or cost.

Found this $38, Bud Industires 16x12x6 enclusre and just go it today.

Hud Enclusre

I have 3 unused PS and was able to place all 3 in the enclosure, either of 2 ways.  3 lined up, top to botton, horizonally or 1 horizontally and 2 side by side, vertically.   Probably more room if using L brackets for mounting 2 PS on the 2nd option.  With a full 6" depth, you could also double stack 2 PS with brackets that would space the PS apart.  

I'm really happy with the this encluse.  I like the straight smoth sides and the gasketed door.  There a no foam knckouts like on Cable Guard enclusres. With deep sides, give you a lot of area to drill for wire/cable clamps.  You will able to keep these holes well above the boards

1 person likes this

I obviously failed to do my homework.I bought CG1500, 400W 12VPSU's  and some smart and dumb RGB's  strings thinking DMX boards to run those.

Do I need an iDMX1000 LOR-DMX Bridge? That will bust my (already busted :rolleyes:) budget on top of boards (not necessarily LOR) for smart and dumb RGB?

I obviously failed to do my homework.I bought CG1500, 400W 12VPSU's  and some smart and dumb RGB's  strings thinking DMX boards to run those.
Do I need an iDMX1000 LOR-DMX Bridge? That will bust my (already busted :rolleyes:) budget on top of boards (not necessarily LOR) for smart and dumb RGB?

Just need to clarify, are you using a Pixie 16 controller? If so, your best option is to run it using LOR Software and intensity data files.

8 hours ago, brichi said:

getting there

1Photo Feb 18, 12 19 05 PM.jpg

Got my enclosures in today, got my plexiglass tonight. Now just need some motherboard risers. Gonna get them from RS tomorrow. I think I'm going to end up having to put my vents on the front of the enclosure just because if mounted on the back it will be a PITA to attach the enclosures to the wall or prop. Lowes is very proud of their plexiglass, it is reflected In the price. I went with about 1/2" at $20.50 each 24x18 cut down to 19.5x14.5 for my box.

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

Just need to clarify, are you using a Pixie 16 controller? If so, your best option is to run it using LOR Software and intensity data files.

At this time I have no RGB controller, only the 2 AC controllers.  At this time, I am looking for a low cost way into RGB (smart and dumb) control

(NB I have a small yard, so no Massive displays envisioned)

3 hours ago, mpageler said:

Needed enclousure for 1 PS and yet to purchase Falcon F16v3, which isn't a small boards.

I fit a Falcon board very nicely inside a CG1000. 

added ethernet ports so I don't have to open box or worry about dangling ethernet while storing

Photo%20Feb%2019,%2011%2042%2052%20AM.jp

finally finished, love this case for the tree, should be perfect. 

Photo%20Feb%2023,%209%2034%2002%20PM.jpg

Photo%20Feb%2023,%209%2057%2007%20PM.jpg

Great job. Have you tested the pixie16 yet?

Ive been in test mode for 4 days now. I'm awaiting my extensions and then will set my matrix and tree up in the garage.

JR

One more question. Is your fan on constant? The pixie16 doesn't have a fan control output.