Light-O-Rama Forums

strang gfi problem.....

portcity_gt

Well, the new outlet made it through yesterday, last night's show, all day today and is currently running tonights show.

Just curious. When you replaced the GFI's did you notice any condensation or rust inside those poly boxes?

When I replaced one last year I noticed some rust on the screws inside the box. Even though the gasket looked perfect, water had still managed to find a way in.

Darryl might be correct. I only use the new outdoor GFCIs as all stainless steel parts and coated boards etc. But I was still looking at the fact you tripped last year when they were new.

Humm...

Nope, everything looked perfect inside, the boxes are actually aluminum with stainless hardware.

One of the old leviton outlets was outdoor i think, it had little doors that covered the plug holes when not in use.

...........One of the old leviton outlets was outdoor i think, it had little doors that covered the plug holes when not in use.

Those shutters are child-proof shutters. Most new residential receptacles have these, GFCI and regular. That does kinda date it a little though where we know it wasn't laying around somewhere for years and years corroding from the inside out.

However, with all this said, with a name like portcity, might be able to corrode one that quickly. My father lived in Port Aransas for about 15 years. He could rust an aluminum outdoor chair in 2 seasons. Had to go all cheap plastic. He hated it.... The rusting that is - loved the island living.

The name comes from my home town of shrevePORT, la. lol, im about 6-7 hour drive from the ocean, the red river runs through our town, back in the old days a lot of goods ran that river, there was even a civil war submarine base here, pretty cool huh, but yeah, no salt water for sure, and RARELY any salt on the roads during winter.

It made it all day yesterday too, looks like the outlets are the problem, now i just gotta replace the other one.