Light-O-Rama Forums

Enclosure Deal

LORisAwesome

Hi All

I found 10x10x4 NEMA 3R metal enclosures at Home Depot today for $19.00. This is half off the regular price. I'm not sure if this price is a local thing or nation wide. I live near St. Louis, MO.

I believe this is similar to the enclosure that LOR uses in their showtime products. It may actually be the same, but I don't know for sure.

I can't find the item on Home Depots site, but, below is a link that has the details. It is a HUBBELL WIEGMANN box number RSC101004RC.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Enclosures/Metal/NEMA_3R/Screw_Cover_Wall_Mount/RSC101004

• 8 months later...

Kelsicia wrote:

I just found the same enclosure box for less at:

http://www.atkelectricsupply.com/wiegmann-rsc101004-nema-screw-cover-enclosure-p-94.html

I haven't dealt with the company yet but the price is lower than where I just bought mine from...

When ever asked for a source for the RSC101004 we recommend this company. They once had the URL ... Enclosures4Less ....

Dan

Personally I prefer the PLASTIC(? I don't think it's actually plastic, but some type of polymer material) style boxes that LOR supplies their pre-assembled CTB16PC controllers in. Have had no issues with them at all, rust proof, rain proof, garden hose proof and sprinkler proof from my automated sprinkler system. Couldn't ask for anything better!

I hope LOR NEVER changes these over for metal boxes! Plastic is so much easier to work with (in my opinion) than metal boxes.

Oh, and this too, at least if a couple live wires got loose, they can't short in a plastic box and burn up a controller! Also less likely of getting electrocuted if something did happen inside the box you weren't aware of until too late (if your controller is powered all the time, as mine are).

Can't say that for "metal enclosures"! And I've been zapped by metal enclosures, especially in winter with high static charges in the air:shock:.

Never had that happen with a plastic enclouse either!

So I'll stick with PLASTIC, PHENOLIC or POLYMER (whatever they are made from) cases for my controllers and other hardware and electronic items that are ~AC~ powered!

$25? I just went to the page and it says $31.50.. Must be like airline ticket prices, the more often it's looked at, the higher it goes

LORisAwesome found it at Home Depot for $19.00. Per his post, this link is *not* from Home Depot, but shows the details of the enclosure. This price was $31.50.

Kelsicia posted a link to a site that sells for $25.00.

Jeff noted that $25 is higher than $19.00. (Jeff must have used that new iPad for that.)

TJ, you clicked the original link, not the one that Kelsicia/Jeff is referring to.

I just picked one of these up Friday night at HD for about $38 so I guess I need to go back for an adjustment.

Orville...I like the plastic case on the PC units as well but to upgrade to a 40 amp unit it needs to be in a metal case as it moves the heat off the heatsinks faster than the plastic. Probably one of the reasons the actual LOR units are done this way as I know the 1602 can be upgraded. I'm changing my 1602 unit to 40 as well as one of the PC kits I bought. Not all LED yet and I needed a couple extra amps out of two of my controllers.

Lenny

I should probably point out that my orignal post was made back in February. The price has since returned to $38.00.

Duh!!! NOW I see that :( THanks for pointing it out, I would have looked pretty stupid going in for an adjustment. I actually though $38 wasn't too bad compared to what I've seen them for elsewhere. Then of course there are the dirt cheap guys, IF they have them in stock...

Lenny

For -all- the looking around I've done for enclosures (spelled almost n o n e).. YourBroadbandStore is the cheapest I've seen even with shipping.. cant really go wrong with $7-$9/ea, but they are still plastic..

I've posted it before, but as there are a bunch of new guys here now.. if you have a HabitatForHumanity ReStore in your town/city, in the US AND Canada, PLEASE check there for used/overstocked circuit breaker boxes! I have found several of the tall breaker boxes for $5!! You cant beat that with a stick, and you're helping a worthy cause. The big boxes can hold 2-5 cards each depending on how you mount them, and they already have knockout plugs for the dongles. You can also find cords, both for dongles and power feed for the cards. I dont work for them, but its a way to support what they do for mankind.

TJ Hvasta wrote:

For -all- the looking around I've done for enclosures (spelled almost n o n e).. YourBroadbandStore is the cheapest I've seen even with shipping.. cant really go wrong with $7-$9/ea, but they are still plastic...

I'll second this recommendation. We have 12 or 13 controllers in these boxes and they work wonderfully. Last time YBS had a sale I bought 5 and it worked out to ~$7 each including shipping.

• 4 weeks later...

I Just found out that .. http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com is going out of business so if you need some enclosures hurry this deal will only last until the 24th of this month. Be sure to mention "DIY Christmas" for the following specials.
$8.78 Each
$8.19 6-10 Cases
$7.75 10+

720-895-7119 Direct
720-895-7120 Fax
1-877-587-6554 Toll Free

Joe

Your bookmark must be bad.. click on the link in the above post, it takes you there, but there is nearly nothing left.. very very little.. just take it, they are out of business as they only have battery packs and some connectors, thats all. spelled Out Of Business.

Sorry, that's why I posted the phone numbers you have to call them to place your order. They will be tacking orders till the 24th of this month.

Joe