Light-O-Rama Forums

Tapper Wizard

Terry Hurrle

BobO's mod to the VU meter sounds like a new tool to me - anyone remember a thing called the "color organ"? I built one back in the 70's that had 4 channels. Blue responded to bass frequencies, green was voice area, yellow was just above voice, and red were the high frequencies. Each channel had a socket to plug in colored floods or whatever I wanted to flash. For it's simplicity, it worked pretty good and looked impressive in it's day. How about it?

Mike

I do this "EQ" with an entirely different approach.

1] in my main show i'll have "EQ poles" that I built out of LED's and are running directly off of an "EQ board" that I bought from "Circuit_solutions".. then I set up a mouse and can plug the EQ board's outputs into a simple circuit that will "Tap" anytime that frequency / level in the grid is hit.. so in effect I run that through all 16 bands, tapping into a different fake channel that is purely an EQ channel.. then if I choose to EQ with my arches or roof lights, etc I just copy and paste those cells to the lights and times i want and it works great..

LightShowPro also has Decent detection.. its tough in some songs to get good detection.. so typically the songs I want to EQ have very definitive instrument points...

I also run songs through soundforge parametric EQ and then the LOR wizards pick them up a little better... I saw another post in this thread where that was also done...

these things all help but really this is Art and it takes quite a bit of manual sequencing to get things just right....
-Christopher

• 3 weeks later...

I started using the VU Meter and I would like to get some more feed back from other member on how they use the VU meter. Do you use the same attack and declay number all the time or does this very with the song you are using or what are you looking for in your display? Ever little bit of infor will help.

Thank

Thomas

In the past, I've used the VU Wizard mostly for vocals. (The exception is Al Hirt's trumpet in Java and Cotton Candy) I've tried it on a few different elements of my display but the only place I really like the look (except for Pink Floyd's "Time") is on my vertical 9-channel poles. I use the peak meter and set the attack to zero and the decay to 25. That gives an immediate response "up" and yet a smoother pattern "down" as the sound recedes. I experimented with a number of different settings, as I recommend you do also, until I found the look I was after personally, and since then have used the same settings. For slower songs you might want to use a longer decay setting.