Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB-16D Delux DC Card ????

KenL_MCSE

I plan on adding a CMB-16D Delux DC Card to my train. My question is about voltage.

My train runs on 6V. What do I need to get this card to work with 6 volts?

Thanks

You will essentially need two transformers. The logic side needs to be powered by 12 volts, so you need a 12 volt transformer plugged into the jack near the CAT-5 ports. You can than plug whatever voltage you want (up to 60 volts) into the power connections at the bottom of the board.

Hi Ken,

Maybe I am reading into your post. Do you plan to install this DC output card on your train (dont know what this train looks like). And the train has a 6v battery and this all will be mobile with out an extention cord? If this is the case where you can not plug something into a wall outlet and has to be self contained. Then you are going to need a DC to DC converter that will bump up the 6 VDC to 12 VDC. Then take that 12 VDC and plug it into the logic power jack as mention by the guys before me.

I could be all washed up, just something about they way you said that, that leaves me to believe that this is a self sustained display running off of a battery and not the commerical power from an outlet. If this is not the case, then forget I even posted if you would.

Ok, went to your sight and seen some video of the train. So, even if this gets its power from a track much like a small train going around a Christmas tree. You will still need a DC to DC converter. But I am also thinking that you might need to filter the power for two reason. First Unless you have a perfect track and pick-up shoes. there is going to be flickering of the power and this might cause resets of the controller per say or comm errors. Also the brush noise of the DC drive motor might cause problems with the processor. Sorry not trying to rain on your train, just somethings to keep in mind as you build this and if needed troubleshooting.

Good luck and hope to see videos next year of this seq train.

Ken, the board is able to be split. 1-8 channels are fed with one input, and 9-16 with an other input. I see no reason why you couldn't drop (2) 6volt batterys in (they come really small from interstate) and connect them in series, so one side is 12 (to power the board, and other goodies), and the other would be tapped off of 6v

Hope this makes sense, if not, stop over after it snows in the near future and play with my board.

Yes the train runs with batteries. I have 3 6v batteries that run the 6v motor. When I tried 12v batteries the train ran so fast it would come off the track.

Anyway, I think I will try to find a nice lightweight 6v to 12v convertor. I never saw the Aux power input. Now I get it.

Thanks

That's funny!

Want a real laugh - here is my train before I modified it.

http://www.pegperego.com/page.php?idp=0000000078&sid=bf24081da51b0157165113a72e9cb9fa&pageid=UTOYS001&m58TplModel=product&t=6550

The cars I made to pull behind the engine kept falling off and there wasn't enough time to rebuild. Since I have to rebuild I want to control all the engine and car lights with the LOR. So you hit the nail on the head with your assumptions...

I did not read this entire thread but the DC motor on the train may take many amps. it may be good to use a DC relay for the motor or use multiple channels to power the motor.

Dan

Dan is correct, use a relay to power the motor. I tried directly powering from the dc board and fried the channel. I use a 12 volt battery and a heater fan motor resistor and another 1k resistor. If I did it again I'd use 2 heater fan resistor ( each has 3 resistors for different voltage outputs). They cost about $6 each @ Napa. They don't get hot and work very well.

As seen here.

http://vimeo.com/8229264

That's my train - lol

What are using for extra track? I made mine out of wood but next year I was going to use PVC brick moulding from Home Depot...

Did you put weight into the back car? Mine kept flying off the track.

Also, it bought extra wheels, etc from Tiger imports so my other cars use the same wheels

The track is 1/2 emt and the ties are trex (plastic wood decking) and the track connectors are 1/2 pex.

I put an old hammer head in the back car and the air horn. Maybe 5lbs for the whole car.

Hi Larry,

Very impressive! So, it's safe to presume you are already doing what Ken is wanting to do with his train?

Tell me that your camcorder is super sensitive to the sound of the air horn. Tell me you live a mile or two from your neibhors. Cause if you live any closer to someone, I suspect that they will be calling in an air strike on your train.:D

Otherwise like I said, very impressive the light display on your train.

Thanks, I'll gladly answer any questions.

Yea the horn is loud. It’s actually in my neighbor's front yard (I decorate 3 lots in a row) luckily they spend most of their time in the back of their house. We were over for dinner and barely noticed it. It probably helps that we live within 2 miles from 3-4 train crossings, so loud obnoxious noises are frequently heard. The train only runs once every 4-5 songs and the horn doesn't blow after 9:00, which helps!?