Light-O-Rama Forums

Kill-A-Watt meter for $17 shipped

Kevin N

Another deal...

Kill-A-Watt P4400
$14.99 after coupon (shipped)

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=22980&SEName=p3-international-p4400-kill-a-watt-the-electricity-detector

Use coupon code MLCK203005082529NL1 for $6 off the $20.99 price.

FYI, I order things from meritline all the time, and they are very reliable.

How accurate is this particular meter? I purchased a different amp/watt tester last year when I broke into LOR. It is the Reliance Controls THP103 AmWatt Generator Appliance Wattage/Amps Load Tester. You can see it on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-THP103-Digital-Appliance/dp/B000G7TKCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1231465817&sr=8-1

The problem I have with it is that the reading fluctuates quite a bit with something plugged into it: for that matter when there is nothing plugged in the business end, the reading bounces between 0.0 and .2 amps. For example, a 100 ct string of incandescent minis bounces around from .2 to .6 amps, nevr really settling on a steady number. A 600 count mini tree flucuates from 1.9 to 2.6 amps. In a single application this might not be an issue, but those amps do add up pretty quickly and I would like it to be more accurate.
I am willing to trash the one I have and get something else, but just wondering if this is just the way these low dollar meters are.

jim6918 wrote:

How accurate is this particular meter? I purchased a different amp/watt tester last year when I broke into LOR. It is the Reliance Controls THP103 AmWatt Generator Appliance Wattage/Amps Load Tester. You can see it on Amazon at:

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-THP103-Digital-Appliance/dp/B000G7TKCG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1231465817&sr=8-1

The problem I have with it is that the reading fluctuates quite a bit with something plugged into it: for that matter when there is nothing plugged in the business end, the reading bounces between 0.0 and .2 amps. For example, a 100 ct string of incandescent minis bounces around from .2 to .6 amps, nevr really settling on a steady number. A 600 count mini tree flucuates from 1.9 to 2.6 amps. In a single application this might not be an issue, but those amps do add up pretty quickly and I would like it to be more accurate.
I am willing to trash the one I have and get something else, but just wondering if this is just the way these low dollar meters are.
Blue Planet Electronic Energy Meter from Canadian Tire (about $25) didn't fluctuate. Testing showed the same reading each time. I would get a better one.

jim6918 wrote:

I have a kill-a-watt and am pleased. Seems very accurate and doesn't fluctuate (much). When I measure a standard 100ct string of incandescent minis it usually measures at 0.33A, and rarely 0.34A (probably a rounding issue), which is what is usually cited in the forums for the power requirement for such lights. Your present meter bounces nearly a half an amp which seems like a lot. Consider a difference of 0.4A each amongst 20 strings and that is a 8A difference. Pretty easy to damage equipment with that inaccuracy.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

jim6918 wrote:

I have a kill-a-watt and am pleased. Seems very accurate and doesn't fluctuate (much). When I measure a standard 100ct string of incandescent minis it usually measures at 0.33A, and rarely 0.34A (probably a rounding issue), which is what is usually cited in the forums for the power requirement for such lights. Your present meter bounces nearly a half an amp which seems like a lot. Consider a difference of 0.4A each amongst 20 strings and that is a 8A difference. Pretty easy to damage equipment with that inaccuracy.

I couldnt agree more, thats why I asked about the characteristics of the Killa Watt. Didn't see a reason to replace if they are all the same, but doesn't sound like it.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...