Light-O-Rama Forums

128 channels to start

wallleyes

One topic on this thread I didn't see mentioned is power planning, it doesn't matter how many channel capacity you have - if you don't have the power to drive your display.

I started with LOR for my 2009 display, 72 channels of LOR and 96 channels of DIO. I ended up using 81 chanels, and it took 3 15 amp circuits to drive my display - 2,400 LED's and 14,000 mini's.

I'm replacing approx 4,000 mini's with LED's this year, and adding at least another 32 channels of LOR.

Power plannig needs to be at the top of the list.

Steve

lightzilla wrote:

I started with 192 Lor channels (2009).......and I am stuck at that number do to job security............job security means money.........no money, means no lights or controllers.

I am guessing money might not be an issue for you since you are buying the "Showtime controllers" , otherwise you can consider buying the "Showtime controller/ MP3" and the rest could be CTB16PC controllers, and that way you can buy about 3 more controllers (with the extra dollars you saved buying the CTB16PC controllers).

As the price stands right now you would need to spend $ 2928.95 to get what you need.

ST-SP-128trans_1x1.gif$2,639.95trans_1x1.gif
S2 Software: StandardAdvanced (+29.00) ......you may end up with more channels.
Connector:USB Booster - USB485B(+15.00).....you may want to do a neighbours house.
LOR1602MP3 Upgrade: LOR1602MP3 (+245.00)

Now what you pay if you used a "ShowTime/MP3 Controller" with CTB16PC controllers.....

SPK-STtrans_1x1.gif$43.85trans_1x1.gif
S2 Software: )Advanced (+69.00)
Connector:USB Booster - USB485B(+15.00)
Cable: 10ft Cat5 Cable
Software: Download OnlyDownload & CD(+4.00) = $131.85 for the software and USB Booster

Plus $599.95 for the MP3/Showtime Controller
Plus $1441.65 for 7 CTB16PC controller
Plus $131.85

You save $755.85 dollars ( can buy 3 more CTB16PC controllers)......64 channels if you add another $67.95

That would give you 192 channels to work with for this year.

Even during the sale you can buy more controllers if you go the CTB16PC controller way.

As far as snow goes Minnesota probably gets more snow than us up here........but the snow we had covered 3 of the controllers that were not covered and I had no problems. The other controllers were all covered.

As far as cold goes we can out do Minnesota cold easy.......it has been -20F these past few nights here where I live (warm compared to the -49F we had for 5 nights back in early December)........and even in -49F the CTB16PC controllers worked no problem.

The fact you are using LEDs and you plan on buying more LEDs make 30 amps no issue at all........most of my controllers are set at 15 amps and I have not even made a dent in amperage on all the controllers thanks to LEDs, but my power box is my draw back.

So for me buying controllers and lights will come to an end in another year, and with $24,000 in renovations cost this past summer, there is no hope in upgrading the power box for a long time.

What I said above is something to consider when thinking of buying "CTB16PC controllers" over "ShowTime".

This is just my thoughts

Thank you for a great post here. I am going to get 10 CTB16PC controllers.We had -30 a couple nights in a row.The snow was waist deep here.I had to use the blower to retreive all of my cords and lights this year.I have all 160 channels filled up and my animation of my house done.I am ready to start sequencing.I also had the joy of skipping a channel when i got to channel 22 and didnt find out untill i had a blank channel at the end.That was fun.I was able to delete a channel and then add it back in.I am waiting for the sale now.

Just wanted to say Hello, and welcome to the addiction. However we bring a lot of enjoyment and entertainment with our addiction. My first year was 2008, and I started with 240 channels. I started my planning with 128 and found out fast I needed more channels than anticipated. I did a lot of research on LOR and on the PC forums. I love LOR and the people on the forums are the best!!! I would have never made my first year without their help!!

My advise is this. Come up with a number that allows you to express what you want in your show make your plans and do not change your plans once you get going. It you run out of time money or energy towards the Holidays you can always cut back a little. Come up with a backup plan to cut something that is not a major accent piece. You don't want to cut a mega tree or an Arch.

As for me this year will be my third with LOR. I am planning for 640 channels. I may be asking for your advise before long. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Ralph A wrote:

make your plans and do not change your plans once you get going.

Come up with a backup plan !

Hmmmm...is this an oxymoron? LOL

wallleyes wrote:

After following the thread (what to buy) i am not going to get the showtime controllers and just get the pc-ctb16pc and the mini mp3 player.I will just get 160 channels instead of 128.

I was going to suggest the mini mp3 player/director unit but for what ever reason I did not mention it.

The mini mp3 player works very well for me. My timer is my son lol, and once the 1st SD card plays through (in 1.5 hours) he switches SD cards (which is also is 1.5 hours) long and after 3 hours he shuts the show down unless otherwise directed.

The great advantage of this style mp3 player over the mp3 player/controller unit is (you are always indoors, where it is warm) and not out doors in the cold and snow switching SD cards.

I drilled a hole big enough in the front door to run a cat5 cable out side........sure is warm.

The other MP3 player (for $229.00) is a better one with a built in timer.........wish I had one sometimes.

Glad to see you getting a better bang for your buck.

Ralph A wrote:

Just wanted to say Hello, and welcome to the addiction. However we bring a lot of enjoyment and entertainment with our addiction. My first year was 2008, and I started with 240 channels. I started my planning with 128 and found out fast I needed more channels than anticipated. I did a lot of research on LOR and on the PC forums. I love LOR and the people on the forums are the best!!! I would have never made my first year without their help!!

My advise is this. Come up with a number that allows you to express what you want in your show make your plans and do not change your plans once you get going. It you run out of time money or energy towards the Holidays you can always cut back a little. Come up with a backup plan to cut something that is not a major accent piece. You don't want to cut a mega tree or an Arch.

As for me this year will be my third with LOR. I am planning for 640 channels. I may be asking for your advise before long. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Hi Ralph A

I started thinking i would do 32 channels.That grew very fast to thinking 64.Then i figured at least 128 channels.Now i am up to 160 and will more then likely end up at 176 channels for this year.I have 152 channels done on my channel grid and the animation for those drawn.Lucky me gets to update my electrical box either to 200 amp service or at the least add a sub panel.

George Simmons wrote:

"I will just get 160 channels instead of 128".

I appreciate the sacrifice you're making for the common good.

152 channels spoken for butttttttttt.......I really would like to make a face like yours but only smaller.Would that be ok with you George if i copied your face?I will just have to get 176 channels and sacrifice a little more for the common good :) That would give me 24 channels for a face.How many channels is your face?I sure hope its not 25 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon Kibler wrote:

In 2008 I started out with 16, then 32, then I had to add some leaping light arches 48 more channels, but then I had to have a mega tree and few small items up to 96 channels. I finally stopped adding channels in 2008 for total of 104. 2009 I added another 8 controllers for a total of 256 channels. 2010 will be atleast another 128 channels.

Welcome to this fine hobby, I mean addiction.

Brandon

I watched your videos tonight and totaly enjoyed your show.Great job.

wallleyes wrote:

Brandon Kibler wrote:
In 2008 I started out with 16, then 32, then I had to add some leaping light arches 48 more channels, but then I had to have a mega tree and few small items up to 96 channels. I finally stopped adding channels in 2008 for total of 104. 2009 I added another 8 controllers for a total of 256 channels. 2010 will be atleast another 128 channels.

Welcome to this fine hobby, I mean addiction.

Brandon

I watched your videos tonight and totaly enjoyed your show.Great job.

Thank you for the compliment!:)

sjmiller wrote:

One topic on this thread I didn't see mentioned is power planning, it doesn't matter how many channel capacity you have - if you don't have the power to drive your display.

I started with LOR for my 2009 display, 72 channels of LOR and 96 channels of DIO. I ended up using 81 chanels, and it took 3 15 amp circuits to drive my display - 2,400 LED's and 14,000 mini's.

I'm replacing approx 4,000 mini's with LED's this year, and adding at least another 32 channels of LOR.

Power plannig needs to be at the top of the list.

Steve
Power planning is great advice Steve.I only have 60 amp service.Still waiting for the electrician to get back to me with an upgrade bid.Must be lots of numbers to add up :( If its over 1k i will be ordering more leds.I figure i might as well spend the 1k on leds.I will just take out my 220 volt central air breaker and put in a couple of 20 amp singles for the winter monthes.My biggest hold up right now is waiting for the controller sale.176 channels and i am going to stick with that number.i have 28 mini tree`s ,Planning on building a 20 foot mega tree..I have also made an eight channel marty fan that is egg shaped and will sit on the peak of my garage.I also made 4 eight channel arches(2 green & 2 red).Will be building my website this weekend.This sure is one crazy addiction :)Thanks for everyones help here.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to get 12 controllers and an mp3 director from the spring sale.Also bought my mega tree poles and just need the snow to melt now.Thank you LOR for putting on the sale.It saved me just about $500.