Light-O-Rama Forums

128 channels to start

wallleyes

Well i have been a member here for a month and soaking up all the info i can.Last night i first looked at vixen software and the lor software.About 15 minutes with each one and i must say that i really liked the lor software more.I like how you can name all your channels.I already have 4- 8 channel arches made.I also have 10 mini tree`s with 400 lights each.I am going to make a 15-20 foot mega tree after all this snow melts here.My plans are to buy the 128 channel showtime package with the mp3 show director if the sale price is good.My question is how many of you guys started out with 128 channels to start with?After playing with the lor software i can see where it takes alot of time to sequence but i dont think i will have to much problems with it.In fact i am already going to be close on having enough channels.I am addicted and i have not even bought any controllers yet.But i have bought over 30,000 lights...about half led and plan on buying a bunch more led lights.Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

I don't think you can ever start with too many (you don't have too use them)..but once you get going, you will start to think of more and more ideas, which of course will use more and more channels.

My first year was this last year. I initially just bought 16 channels, but had 56 by the end of the year.

This year I plan on going up to 480 and don't know if that will be enough.

Welcome to the addiction!!

In 2008 I started out with 16, then 32, then I had to add some leaping light arches 48 more channels, but then I had to have a mega tree and few small items up to 96 channels. I finally stopped adding channels in 2008 for total of 104. 2009 I added another 8 controllers for a total of 256 channels. 2010 will be atleast another 128 channels.

Welcome to this fine hobby, I mean addiction.

Last year was my first year.

Started and ended with 32 channels.

Planning on going upto 96 this year.

You might want to do a little sequencing to see if 128 channels is too much (or not enough LOL)

I don't have any arches and find 96 a bit overwhelming.

Last year was my first year.

Started and ended with 32 channels.

Planning on going upto 96 this year.

You might want to do a little sequencing to see if 128 channels is too much (or not enough LOL)

I don't have any arches and find 96 a bit overwhelming.

I forgot to mention in my last post that I found out the more channels you have the easier it is to program.

I started in 2008 with 144 channels and wished I had more. It was a good thing I didn't since I just barely got everything done by Thanksgiving as it was. Despite all the people advising me to stock up with twice as many as I thought I'd need, I had nowhere near enough extension cords.

In 2009 I expanded to 320 channels and I wished I had more. It was a good thing that I didn't since I just barely got everything done by Thanksgiving. Despite my experience in 2008 and despite having gone through over 4000' of wire, 2 days before Thanksgiving I still didn't have enough extension cords and wound up using only 308 channels. I was practically sobbing...

For this year, I'm planning on adding another 96 channels and I've already begun stockpiling more extension cords. The moral of the story is that you should begin with whatever you feel comfortable with. And make sure you get your extension cords in October because your local Menards might not have as many as you still need in stock come mid-November.

I started with 16 channels and went to 80 the following year. I quickly realized I needed more that first year...and was a little disappointed that I was so limited.

The second year, with 80 channels, I was a little overwhelmed. It was mostly my fault as I did not give myself enough time to program the sequences. With 16 channels, programming was a breeze for me. However, with 80, I didn't give myself more time and started sequencing songs in November.

So, I would say go for it! However, I would recommend you make a layout of your display and know how you will use each channel ASAP. Then start sequencing songs immediately. It takes me at least 4 hours for each minute of music using 80 channels. You can always download free sequences that folks share and/or buy them. That helps build a variety without having to program every song yourself. I have already started sequencing my songs for this Christmas. It is much easier for me to spend an hour or two at a time, a few nights a week, rather than cram all nighters in right before Thanksgiving! (Your spouse might appreciate it too).

Welcome to the club.....and addiction! You will be boasting about your 320 channel display before you know it!

By the way....finally expanding this year from 80 to somewhere around 220.....I can't wait!

I started in 2008 with 176 channels. Then in 2009 I moved up to 273 cbnannels. I have been programing for 2010 for 3 months now. In 2010 I am running 405 channels. It is an addiction. Good luck and have fun.

I started in 2009 with 32 channels. Will up it this year to probably 96 or 112, though I'd like to add more.

My advice? Go ahead now and buy one controller with the software. Go advanced. Start sequencing when it arrives. You can use the controller to test real life elements (arches) to make sure how they respond. You will learn to fine tune things. More importantly, you'll see things in reality and find new ways to sequence them (both in your approach, and in how they look).

You can never start sequencing too early!

A good approach to sequencing a piece is to listen (listen, listen) to the music, then decide the major elements you want to do. Do it in larger sections. Then, when it is done, go back and look at each section, filling in and adding the things you thought about adding after you got to later sections. Keep fine tuning, and voila! you have a great sequence.

Please take note of the term voila!

Pronounced something like "wall-ahh", this word often gets misspelled in the forums as viola! (which is pronounced "vee oh lah" and is a musical instrument slightly larger than the violin.) George will back me up on this. :P

Anyway, I had what I thought was a really good year for 2009. The two controllers worked perfectly, as did the rock speakers and strobe lights. The show drew a moderate number on watchers, pretty good given that I live on a lightly travelled court and did not care to put out fliers, etc. Were I to do anything differently, it would be to have gotten the controllers earlier than September so I could have spent more time learning the sequencing aspect. As it was, I did five pieces for about 15 minutes total. Not bad. But time is what your gonna run out of, and sequencing takes quite a bit of it.

Most of all, welcome to the addiction. By joining here, you have placed yourself in the hands (at the mercy?) of some fine, knowledgeable, talented and caring folk.

Cray

Guest Don Gillespie

Couldn't agree more with Cray I to started with 32 channels and now that I have a grasp on the software I will upgrade to 64 or 80 channels and increase each year after that, the first year was intimidating but with all the help on this forum everyone makes it easy to use this system, good luck and welcome aboard

I think the number of channels does not necessarily add to the programming complexity as much as the number of displays you are using.

I have 12 mini tree's that use 16 channels, programming took just as long as 5 mini arch's with 45 channels. Once you get down the dynamic of sequencing, you can do a chase with just a few more clicks than color changing.

My 1st year was 16 channels, 2nd was 176, 3rd was 368.
It took 3 times as long to program 368 as it did 16.

I would suggest programming each part of your display to the end, then start on another part. Just in case you do have to drop out a section or two, you didn't waste time to program something that you have to leave out.

And yes, get way more extension cords that you might think you could possibly ever need!!

Have fun!

Scott

I started with 192 Lor channels (2009).......and I am stuck at that number do to job security............job security means money.........no money, means no lights or controllers.

I am guessing money might not be an issue for you since you are buying the "Showtime controllers" , otherwise you can consider buying the "Showtime controller/ MP3" and the rest could be CTB16PC controllers, and that way you can buy about 3 more controllers (with the extra dollars you saved buying the CTB16PC controllers).

As the price stands right now you would need to spend $ 2928.95 to get what you need.

ST-SP-128trans_1x1.gif$2,639.95trans_1x1.gif
S2 Software: StandardAdvanced (+29.00) ......you may end up with more channels.
Connector:USB Booster - USB485B(+15.00).....you may want to do a neighbours house.
LOR1602MP3 Upgrade: LOR1602MP3 (+245.00)

Now what you pay if you used a "ShowTime/MP3 Controller" with CTB16PC controllers.....

SPK-STtrans_1x1.gif$43.85trans_1x1.gif
S2 Software: )Advanced (+69.00)
Connector:USB Booster - USB485B(+15.00)
Cable: 10ft Cat5 Cable
Software: Download OnlyDownload & CD(+4.00) = $131.85 for the software and USB Booster

Plus $599.95 for the MP3/Showtime Controller
Plus $1441.65 for 7 CTB16PC controller
Plus $131.85

You save $755.85 dollars ( can buy 3 more CTB16PC controllers)......64 channels if you add another $67.95

That would give you 192 channels to work with for this year.

Even during the sale you can buy more controllers if you go the CTB16PC controller way.

As far as snow goes Minnesota probably gets more snow than us up here........but the snow we had covered 3 of the controllers that were not covered and I had no problems. The other controllers were all covered.

As far as cold goes we can out do Minnesota cold easy.......it has been -20F these past few nights here where I live (warm compared to the -49F we had for 5 nights back in early December)........and even in -49F the CTB16PC controllers worked no problem.

The fact you are using LEDs and you plan on buying more LEDs make 30 amps no issue at all........most of my controllers are set at 15 amps and I have not even made a dent in amperage on all the controllers thanks to LEDs, but my power box is my draw back.

So for me buying controllers and lights will come to an end in another year, and with $24,000 in renovations cost this past summer, there is no hope in upgrading the power box for a long time.

What I said above is something to consider when thinking of buying "CTB16PC controllers" over "ShowTime".

This is just my thoughts

Cray Augsburg wrote:

Pronounced something like "wall-ahh", this word often gets misspelled in the forums as viola! (which is pronounced "vee oh lah" and is a musical instrument slightly larger than the violin.) George will back me up on this. ;)

Viola is also the name of someone who used to be a pretty fair baseball pitcher.

bulldogs92 wrote:

I'm ready... I'm ready... I'm ready!

me too...just hope they have plenty of what I want!!

George Simmons wrote:

Viola is also the name of someone who used to be a pretty fair baseball pitcher.

Yes, and that, too! :D

After following the thread (what to buy) i am not going to get the showtime controllers and just get the pc-ctb16pc and the mini mp3 player.I will just get 160 channels instead of 128.

"I will just get 160 channels instead of 128".

I appreciate the sacrifice you're making for the common good.