Light-O-Rama Forums

What is a good DMX board to get?

Rafter Bar R

I have been looking online for a basic yet not overly expensive or complicated dmx controller for some dmx driven LED lights that can be run as background lights when LOR is not running.

This brings up the question about the DMX IN and DMX OUT on the iDMX. Can I connect the DMX board to the DMX IN on the iDMX and will this pass through when LOR is not in use?

Though I forget the address block size, (maybe it is 16 channels) here is how I remember it is supposed to work. When the iDMX is first powered up, all DMX channels are passed through. The first time an address is sent a LOR command, it and the rest of the DMX ID's in that block are now generated by LOR, and not passed through, until next time the iDMX is reset.

Chauvet OBEY 40 Universal DMX-512 Controller. Would this be a good "starter" board? I don't have much experience with these although I have an iDMX and know how to use it with LOR.

lonewolvie,

Obey 8 controls up to 32 dmx channels MSRP $149.99
Obey 10 controls up to 128 dmx channels MSRP $139.99
Obey 40 controls up to 192 dmx channels MSRP $189.99
Obey 70 controls up to 384 dmx channels MSRP $219.99

Those are retail prices and the products can usually be found for around 30% off of that price.

Thank about how many channels you need, think about future expansion and buy accordingly.

Charles

• The topic was locked