Light-O-Rama Forums

Website Issues!

rgardner518

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

other than f12, theres no other way around getting to my info,

I hope you are not being serious. No offense, but if you are, then you need a better understanding on how web browsers work. (All I need to do is goto to view-> view source)

But to address your original question, if you use any absolute width amounts, you could run into issues with viewers have to scroll. If you really want to make a static site, then make your dimensions lower then the smallest screen resolution. However the best way to do this, is to create an dynamic, or elastic site, so it adjust to the viewers screen res. (Hint, use percentages)

bwaldrep wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

I hope you are not being serious. No offense, but if you are, then you need a better understanding on how web browsers work. (All I need to do is goto to view-> view source)

But to address your original question, if you use any absolute width amounts, you could run into issues with viewers have to scroll. If you really want to make a static site, then make your dimensions lower then the smallest screen resolution. However the best way to do this, is to create an dynamic, or elastic site, so it adjust to the viewers screen res. (Hint, use percentages)

view-> view source, lol

That feature does not work, But I think I fixed the width issues.

Site looks much better now with the menu at top. I like the staggered menu options.

There doesn't appear to be anything worth hiding. Your attempt to secure it made me look at it even more closely. All three browsers showed the source easily.

IE8 - F12, Chrome - Cntl+Shift+J, FF - WebDev Addon / Show generated source.

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Mountainwxman wrote:
ny_yankee_25 wrote:

Don't bet on it.

One tid-bit of info... the call letters for your radio station is in violation of part 15 FCC rules.

Only licensed radio, tv, or other broadcast stations can have call letters.

So, I don't care about that, I broadcast 100 ft away from the home, well under the FCC rules. And just because I call it that don't mean anything. I'm not concerned. But thanks

First off, I DO NOT WORK for the FCC, not my type of job, just to set the record. And personally I don't care what you do in using your FM transmitter, but I need to imform you of this criteria that is possible because you are violating their rule, and it's pretty much a "Cardinal Rule" for the FCC too.

Now I am NOT trying to sound or be condescending, but you need to really care about the use of using call letters for an unlicensed radio broadcast (FM Transmitter) too, using a set of call letters is illegal period if you are an unlicensed broadcaster. The FCC levies heavy fines on people that break these rules, so if you are publicly advertising and even in the most simplistic form using call letters, you can and possibly will get a visiti from the FCC folks

If you have a legal radio broadcast license, then you won't have a thing to worry about, but if you don't......

Believe me, I have worked very closely at times with the FCC during the CB heydeys tracking down modified and illegal CB radioes (ones that had linears on them to boost their signal strength and range). Most folks that got caught got hit with very stiff fines and CONFISCATION of all their CB Radio equipment. The FCC takes a very dim view of their rules when someone violates them. (They're even a lot meaner than the IRS too on some of their rules that get violated!)

I'm just saying this to help you, not to take away from your display or anything. If you haven't read part 15 of the FCC rules and regulations, I'd strongly suggest you do so, because it plainly states that no unlicensed radio station, such as an FM Transmitter no matter what the distance, can not and will not use call letters to identify their radio broadcasts. Now if you wante to call it by your name or the station is located at ###-A street name, basically your address or "welcome to the "sur-name's" family christmas, that would be fine, you just can not identify with call letters or even call it a radio station, even though it is a low power radio station, since it is unlicensed, it is not a radio station the way the FCC views it, and thusly calling it one and adding call letters to one without a license is just asking for trouble on down the road.

Personally, since many of these FM transmitters tend to come direct from the factory and surpass the "legal range", which is not more than I believe somewhere between 300'-500', I'd hope the FCC would offer a "temporary license" at a low cost for those of us that use these transmitters, then we'd have call letters that "could" be used to identify our stations, but like what happened with CB Radio, mainly after the "Smokey and the Bandit Movies", the FCC got so overwhelmed they opted to make CB Radio unlicensed and basically no more call letters. I think the same thing would probably happen here, there are just too many folks now utilizing these transmitters.

Therefore I would hope the FCC would actually consider allowing more than 300'-500', if they would allow for at least 1/2 mile, possibly with no moew than a 1 mile range, that would keep most everyone out of trouble for the range violation that many have no control over, because the units arrive to us with a "pre-set trange" direct from the manufacturer we may buy them from, unless you build it yourself, then you could be held liable for range or other FCC related vioaltions under part 15.

But please, for your families sake (if you have family) and yours, please refrain from using call letters to identify your transmitter broadcasts. I'd hate to hear of anyone here that got caught and had either gotten some really stiff fines, and/or even jail time for this FCC violation.

I am just offering this as a public service message, again, not trying to rain on anyones parade (Christmas Display) here, but I want those that have them to still be here after the Christmas season ends. Nothing would ruin my Christmas more than getting a hefty fine or jail time because I did something that I shouldn't have, when it's easier NOT to do it and keep oneself out of trouble and the possible limelight of the news.

BTW: I'm not sure todauy what the fines are, but I think those fines start out around $10,000.00 (and that for a FIRST OFFENSE - OUCH!), now I don't know about you or the rest of the folks here, but I sure don't have that kind of cash lying around! And that kind of money would buy a lot of extra Christmas themed goodies, not to mention LOR Controllers and other accessories for your display.

So please be safe and not sorry.

And once more, no I do not work for the FCC, but I have worked, like stated prior in the above, right alongside them when needed back in the CB heydays and this was NOT by my choice either.

Guest wbottomley

ny_yankee_25 wrote:

There was a quick giltch, but, refresh your browser, and try it again!

Yep... when you block everything, it goes offline.

Web 101: in order for the public to view your files they have to be in a directory that can read, execute, and some times write.

The only thing 100% safe is not on or connected to the internet.

Mountainwxman wrote:

ny_yankee_25 wrote:
There was a quick giltch, but, refresh your browser, and try it again!

Yep... when you block everything, it goes offline.

Web 101: in order for the public to view your files they have to be in a directory that can read, execute, and some times write.

The only thing 100% safe is not on or connected to the internet.

I just checked and my sites not offline.

It's almost like a challenge to see if I can get your code. Challenge accepted!

candle-animated.gif

Poestenkill-Lights.com

Welcome to Poestenkill-Lights.com

Home of The Gardner's.

"some say were Christmas Lunacy"

This website is about my computerized Christmas light display in Poestenkill, New York.

Poestenkill lights is not your average Christmas

display. The lights are synchronized to music.

So don't forget to tune your radio to 99.1 FM,

when you watch the lights.

The light show is over for this year, but will start again November 26, 2010 and run through

January 2, 2011.

The time the show runs is from 4 PM to 10 PM

7 days a week

Click around the web site to find out more information about the display. Please feel free to contact us and tell me what you think of the display.

I hope you enjoy the lights!

We are Located at 84 Plank Road.

Merry Christmas

Musical Christmas Light Display

OK, I get the picture! Anyone can get it, fine.

Can we be done with this and drop it?

My original question regarding page width has been answered.

The reason I was asking was to see how the person at the site did it?

http://rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/scripts/no_right_click.html

• The topic was locked