Light-O-Rama Forums

15 amp to 20 amp

Donny M. Carter

can i change the fuse in my lor controller from a 15amp to a 20amp. i have plenty of power. i built my new house with a bigger service and 30 extra spaces just for my new hobby. thanks for the help

You will need to change the supply cord first. And are the controllers rated for that? What kind are they? What heat sink?

I believe you just need to change the power cord and fuses and you should be good. If not someone will tell you . Pretty sure about 96%, but I may be wrong :?

BTW Can you put your location in your profile?

12g supply cable, 20amp fuses. That should do it. Just be mindful of heat buildup. So far, I can't recall a thread were this was an actual problem, but it is a concern.

This upgrade can be done for controllers, but in my mind it could involve other upgrades as well, depending on your current configuration.

Other possible upgrades include circuit breaker, wire from CB to outlet, outlet itself (GFCI hopefully), power cord(s) to controller, and controller fuse....

Does that make sense?

Thanks, Randy

i think i will just leave the controllers 30amp. the benifits of going up to 40amp are just not good enough. if i need more channels i will just buy more controllers. after all its only money..right...