Light-O-Rama Forums

How far behind is everyone??

Guest guest

I guess I am a good bit behind, but am in the process of mapping out this year's display.

I was unimpressed how last year's 10' mega tree came out so I am opting for making 15 chase trees from floral easels. Construction hasn't started yet. This option frees up 15 LOR channels to go to something else (not decided).

No mini lights or rope light has been tested.

2 new songs have to be sequenced from scratch while the rest have to be edited for the change from a mega tree to chase trees and whatever else that will be new this year. Figuring out any changes/additions to the dispay layout is really my first priority. Then the sequencing can begin.

As long as I am not building anything new while the display is also going up, I should be able to do all light testing fairly quickly. This is my #1 rule this year, to finish all new projects before the display goes out. I used up quite a lot of time trying to finish last year's mega tree base while everything else was finding its way on the lawn.

Glenn

I am SOOOOOOOOO far behind the curve right now .. its still a straight line ..

I have a carriage and 4 horses in a wireframe I have to light up. My CD based Merry Christmas sign, at this point, I have a 119 SSR's that need a distribution method, and to many other things to list. I just finished my storage building (16'x24') and we are moving everything in to it ..

I'm not sure I can even put out what I had last year. I think I too have the Sophomore blues.

BTW .. Don .. (did I read that right??) What I'm seeing in your video's was your FRESHMAN attempt?? HOLY ... I'm selling everything and turning out the porch lights...:)

-- Bob

What a welcomed thread, because I've been freaking out about being so far behind myself. I'm probably actually ok, but spending a couple of hours a day for the past two weeks convinced I'll never be ready.

Bob_Moody wrote:

BTW .. Don .. (did I read that right??) What I'm seeing in your video's was your FRESHMAN attempt?? HOLY ... I'm selling everything and turning out the porch lights...:)

Just bring it to San Antonio, and I'll save you the trouble of selling everything. :)

Yes, that was year one. Granted, many elements of the display were already in place. I only had to add the grid and mini-trees. Everything else I you see in the videos was there the year before.

I was fortunate to have some good teachers. As such, I picked up some tips early on that saved me more than a headache or two.

To all:

You may not be as far behind as you think. I encourage you to visit my web site, and read my 2005 updates. You'll see where I was at this time last year, and what I did "at the last minute."

Ahhhh yes...glad to hear I am not alone also!!:rudolph:

Last year I was VERY rushed..first year with LOR.. I just looked and I purchased everything mid November... EEK!
But I made it...display was all syncronized lighting on existing tree, 5 bushes, roof, and one 48in wreath, along with 6 floods.

This year I have several new items... including a large mesh 3-d candy cane lighted archway, 3 giant bubble lights, lighted gift bags, 9 lighted snowflakes, and 6 times the amount of lights to work with. (gotta love 75 to 90 percent off!)

I have been trying to make my new song selections so I can get them sequenced, getting my inventory so I can see what I have to work with, and the hardest thing I am trying to do is finalize my display layout for this year.
I have been trying to decide on: megatree, minitrees, arches around the perimeter of the yard, or a yard grid. (or maybe a combination of 2 of these!)
I am leaning toward the arches...or maybe the yard grid (I already have a few cases of the plastic light stakes)
Decisions decisions.... LOL!

I wanted to be ready for the end of August .. I am not sure why, Just a date picked is all.

Maybe so I could do Halloween as well. I did July 4th which was my first trail run which was a hit and I learned a PILE. I was almost moving this month, but the tables turned and we are staying put, which is a big relief.

But so far I have my hour of music sequenced. All 160 + channels are wired and tested, FM Broadcaster is up and functional, X10 is ready to go, I have to make my Happy Holday letters, and wire up my sub panel make up a few relays. we could go next week if we had to. SMILE

So over all on track and on schedule. We are going to do some remodeling inside the house, but nothing major just some painting, carpet and screen in the porch.

Reminds me of what my boss would say about a big job in his deep German accent " how do you eat a elephant, one bite at a time"

I sit in good company then as I am behind also. I have to finish my Candy canes, then make my four bells for my light show. I don't even have my transmitter yet, and I still have a song to finish. Working on them is pretty much out until after the 13th of September. I have to test for Chief Master Sergeant here in the good ole Air Force.

I have all these plans for my show, but I still haven't figured out what I am going to use the extra controller I got for. I was going to do Santa tossing boxes over the driveway, but I haven't even started that yet. Maybe I will throw in a 16 channel mega tree for this year, then add the Santa next year.

My first year and I'm on schedule. Another 14 mini trees and 2 more sequences to go. I wonder if my enthusiasm will be as high this time next year as it is this year? Got to say though, I'm enjoying every minute of it with little to no flack from the Mrs.

I haven't started sequencing yet. I haven't even finished picking out this year's music. I keep finding more songs that I really want to do.:shock: So I guess I'm in the same boat as all the others with the sophmore slump. It could also be that we went from 8 channels to 32. Every time I think I've got the layout down, the CEO (chief engineering officer) come up with another idea he wants to try. I won't start to panic till October.

I am behind because I am broke :)

llbarnes wrote:

LOL, How far behind is everyone on their LOR preparations? I still have a bit of a list myself. I need to start hitting it at the very beginning of September if I have ANY chance of starting to set up Nov. 1.

How about everyone else? Am I alone here??

I am behind but just really dont care ahhhh.

Thats right, I have 80 channels this year as opposed to 16 I had last year, I have 50,000 lights this year as opposed to the 25,000 last year. I have completed 3 1/2 mini trees out of 32. I have one song programmed took me about 4 hours. Last year I used the tapper wizard and had each song done in about an hour hour and half.

This year I am using a .05 spacing and going through the songs and trying to get the most accurate timing possible. I noticed last year that people's favorite songs were the ones with almost perfect timing.

I have to build a 20' or 30' mega tree. I havent even started on.

BUT THE BIG THING IS POWER, thats right I have to have tons of more power added and I havent even contacted the power company yet.

Last year I was a seasonal employee with the city and was laid off for the entire month of november. I thought I was going to be this year as well but was recently promoted to Year Round Part Time, so I am no longer laid off during November.

After all of this and being this far behind I am not the slightest bit worried about it. And I guarantee that my display will be up and ready to turn on November 28 at 5:00 P.M.

I am not trying to be cocky or rude or brag about this. I am just stating that everything will work out. Friends & Family will pitch in to help. Everything will get done that needs to be done.

I will start programming my songs around the first of November when I have portions of the display up. I will begin putting the display up this year during the 3rd week of october. I will start out with plugging one tree in and putting the lights on it. Then when I finish that tree the next night I will move that extension cord to another tree and do that and do this for a week until all the trees are lit up. I will then move onto the bush lights doing these things as they are less noticeable. I will then work on building the mega tree and any other final projects I need to complete. by the 2nd week of november I will put up the Mega Tree.

I will then really put things into high gear, I will begin putting up icicle and roof lights, friends will come over to help do this. Thanksgiving week I will begin to put out wireframes, mini trees and such. November 26th, I will hook everything up. November 27th do some testing of the display. Make sure sequences come on when they need to etc... Make sure transmitter is working properly... I will also set up my web cam on this day. November 28th 5:00 P.M. Lighting Ceremony will start.

I say all of this to say, dont get too worried about being behind, if you dont get everything done that you want for this year, just save it for next year, or add it in during mid season. It gives people something to keep coming back to see throughout the season. I personally enjoy going to walmart and finding things on sale and adding them to the display every week. People enjoy it as well.

Well, let's see...I'm not doing so well either.

I have no Christmas lights, haven't order anything, and have no capacity to put lights in my window, no LOR equipment, no LOR software, no amplifier, no speakers, and no FM transmitter... But I drew up some plans for the display, does that count? :laughing:

Well, I have the same attitude as logan_moore. It's like most people are saying, you'll get it all done. Besides, it's a small project I'm working on. I have about 6 sequences done for it, and I'm working on many more. I'll get all the technical stuff done in October and setup in Novemeber. So it looks really bad, but hey, it's only 16 strands of lights and maybe a few extras, so I'm not worried. It's trivial compared to what most people do. You can check out my blog on the project. It's cramming 16-32 channels into one window, so the result should be interesting.

Well here is the sure fire way to get your a$$'s into gear! Turn on the computer, open up all of your Christmas songs in Winamp, turn up the volume, hit play. If this doesn't get you in the mood, nothing will (at least in time for setup).

Luke

llbarnes wrote:

LOL, How far behind is everyone on their LOR preparations?

My behind is far! Does that count? :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Michael B

Got a bunch of LOR boards from the May sale that look like I'm gonna be able to get to start programming sometime around Jan 30th. Haven't even gotten cable to connect the boards to the lights yet. Only picked one song out and it's only 52 seconds long. Haven't figured out how to put it into the LOR software yet. Basically I've done one thing - Daydream about what I'm going to do.

Ken Mays
Lewisville,TX

Lets see... Just looked at my to do list..... oh, wait, I haven't even made that yet. I received my first LOR board 2 weeks ago. Need to put that together and finish a few sequences. Right now I'm doing fine, I'm just pumped I finally have the hardware and can actually do it now. :waycool: