Light-O-Rama Forums

Very Nice Display

Dad02

I knew I had looked for, and not seen any info on their web site before. That is a new page.

One other idea that came to mind would be to build this as an inner layer on a taller tree. Have the lifting head for this layer be able to run to the top, even if that is not where it will be displayed. Start all the strings of lights, and raise the top a bit. Build a hula hoop out of PEX, and wire tie it to all the strands. Raise it some more, and repeat. Once you have everything lifted, and wire tied to a suitable number of custom sized hula hoops, start twisting the bottom hoop. As the hoop lifts, start lowering the top back down. There is probably some fun trying to figure out how many hoops, how they are spaced, and other logistical issues with getting the twists nicely divided between the hoops. There will be a tendency for the tree to be fattest at the hoops, and bowed in between them. This can be offset to a degree with more hoops, but I am now thinking that you are going to need too many hoops this way to be worth doing...

How about as you lift the lights up, the "lifting head" (that all the lights are hooked to) corkscrews on the way up.

It could "screw" on the way up on a twisted rail attached to the mast?

-klb- wrote:

There will be a tendency for the tree to be fattest at the hoops, and bowed in between them. This can be offset to a degree with more hoops, but I am now thinking that you are going to need too many hoops this way to be worth doing...

If you used Webers basic design of 16 ropes (I would use coated wire) from base to tip to form the mega tree and all the ropes were within your "hula hoop" at the base, wouldn't these ropes then keep the lights from "bowing" (drooping) as you turn the the hoop to get the spiral effect?

tomskillman wrote:

They detail their megatree on their web page:

http://weberchristmas.snappages.com/f-a-q.htm

I must say it's quite impressive!

Seems like they didn't need the lift because they kept the diameter of the tree small enough to be able to reach it from the tower. Nice simple design like he's said on that FAQ page. :)

My neighbor has a 40' lift for his business that he keeps at his house. I'm going to try and borrow it during the summer to see what kind of design I can come up with that I'll be able to winch up and down myself. I have a feeling the lights will get *VERY* tangled trying to do so though.

Thanks for the link!
-Jeff

Where do i start! i am so happy everyone loved the display!Makes me feel real good, our local food pantry received 7000 dollars and 2000 pounds of food this year, thats what this is all about, making people happy including myself. About that spiraling tree hmmm where do i start, me and my dad and brother in law made 3 models and just about didnt do it but we found a simple way and it worked. we just built a simple regular mega tree out of rope and wrapped the lights around it and zip tied them to the rope, it doesnt have to be perfect to get the neat effect it gives off rope will work but cables might be better. i have an old tv tower that i can climb and attach the strings all the way up. The wind doesnt bother it much, i used one ring in the middle to tighten the ropes up a bit, just make sure to use enough zip ties so the strings dont slip down. if you have more questions just post them or email me at webbs300@me.com.giggle.gif

Thanks to all who posted...

Mr Weber, THANK YOU!!

I'm moving up to 96 channels this year, and I will be using your design...

I'm thinking about trying it out with more channels, and having a 'reverse' helix as well....(as in the opposite 'rotation')...

As everyone else has said in here, I was on the fence about trying this until I showed the 'Boss' (wife)....her comment?

'you ARE doing that next year, right???'

and I had just gotten all my new channels 'assigned' in LOR.....

iresq wrote:

I think its unique enough to warrant it's own name, the Weber Tree.

I agree with you on naming it the Weber Tree.

wallleyes wrote:

iresq wrote:
I think its unique enough to warrant it's own name, the Weber Tree.

I agree with you on naming it the Weber Tree.

I agree with both of you as long as he didn't get his idea from Disney.

This is one awesome tree. I like mine mainly because you can do more with it but this thing is beautiful. So let's try to figure it on and if he is on here he can set back and enjoy.

Alright tell me what you think of this.

He is wrapping this tree with something. The lights are already attached when he puts it on the tree. Looks like he has many supports running vertically from top to bottom and the lights are wrapped around the tree. My guess is probably wrong but he could be using 3/8" to 1/2" rod for the supports and may rest them on rings inside the tree area or supports going back and forth across the tree.

So what is he using to wrap the tree. He could be using fine fencing or nothing. If you notice the lights up at the top of the tree become a thinner line. and get a little wider at the bottom. Looks like he started the wrapping with about six to eight leads goning from top to bottom. Does he use chicken wire around the tree and then zip tie the lights to the chicken?

I think it is a giant mini tree.

If you look at the tomato cage trees most wrap it with some sort of fencing. Usually Chicken Wire.

I think he starts at the top attach lights five or six strings at a time at the top and then one time in middle and bottom.

I played around with a mini version and learned some things.

I built mine 32" tall with a base of 14" (top 4" diameter) with 2 raps to the spiral. The light strings ended up being about 6' in length (25 bulbs).

1) The ratio of base to height is critical to the look. I made my base to big for the height. Just didn't look right to me. Also the height of each 1/2 spiral is critical to the look. Simply cutting the height into 1/4 didn't work for me.

2) I put 16 channels on it and the wires and lights were so dense that the only effects that showed up well were with one string of lights on at a time. Even then the lights on the back side didn't show up well because the wires were so dense they hid them.

3) I then cut the number of channels down to 8 and it helped, so I decreased it to 6 channels and it looked much better. The down side to 6 channels is that the effects aren't smooth, and at the top they don't show up very well, but a part of that is I still haven't nailed down the height for each 1/4 spiral.

4) I then reduced the number of raps to 1. This allowed me to increase the number of channels and smooth out the effects, but it didn't look nearly as good as the 2 rap tree.

I have given up on the mini spiral. It is just too small I guess.

I will try a 15' tall tree with a 4.5' base diameter next. I think it will use a string 23' long (100 bulbs). I will stay with 2 raps so I have the double spiral effect but I'm going to try 3 raps at some point to see what that looks like. I have no idea how many channels to use, so I will just play with that.

I welcome any suggestions and ideas. It will be a while before I work on the 15' tree, too cold outside right now, and I don't have 15' ceilings. For now I am building my Robin Wheel, and of course waiting for the LOR sale ;).

Thanks Scott, you have some great ideas. I see the thread they started on PC and your replies. Dispite some of their comments you did a nice job.