Light-O-Rama Forums

Very Nice Display

Dad02

Man, that is awesome. The wifey was behind me when I played it and she said we have to do something like that next year. :) (I hope she realizes that was all I needed to hear!!!)

-Jeff

Between his 2009 and 2008 display, he has several unique items. Last year had 3 different size mega trees stacked on each other. Plus the large snowman made out of fan circles. Have seen some globes around, but these are pretty big. Plus the stings that stretch across his whole yard (kinda like a half mega tree). And the single-flash white, stobe-like lights--assume these are DMX (foreign subject to me). All a little too busy for my liking, but still impressive.

That is some of the coolest sequencing I've seen. I guess we know what lots of mega trees are gonna look like from now on...

Crap!!!, One thought I had for 2010 was a tree that looked like a slinky, or helix. I guess I think to slow.

I was talking with my wife about that last night(or more over I was talking *AT* her). :)

Easiest way would be a lift... that's for sure. In the video you can see vertical supports of some sort. Not sure if cables would be sturdy enough so maybe they are rigid like EMT conduit.

I almost thought about raising my strands up like usual and then having another pulley system to raise the support system. Cables would be the easiest for this but I have a feeling they wouldn't provide enough support.

After the support system is in place, you can then wrap the lights in a spiral pattern around the tree. BIGGEST problem though is how you get the lights to stay put in your nice spiral pattern. :( Again... a lift would make it doable.

This is definitely something to think about since the wifey has already given it the approval stamp!!! :D

-Jeff

So far, I am leaning towards a heavy center pole, heavy anchor ring, and aircraft cable under tension as the supporting structure. Next, a spreadsheet showing how far a strand is supposed to be lowered on each support. Then a lot of time and wire ties on a lift. Short of that, I have not (yet) figured out a way to put it together, or any way to store it without taking everything apart... The fairly thin aspect ratio of it does make it easier to work on with a lift, as you don't have to reach out too far, or tip the bucket way towards the cables...

I probably won't put too much more thought into it, as I don't have anyplace at either display to do one of these...

I was thinking about how you would do this and my first thought was when taking down one of my small spiral tress from my display. It sure looks pretty much like that only a lot bigger. Just a thought for all you people that are smarter than me. I think that the spiral tree decorations will give someone a good idea on how to do it.

I was thinking the same way...spiral tree...

but of course the trick would be all the mutli-sprials needed.

Oh well...we all have a few months to figure it out!! lol

Well...sitting here doodling at work, I think I came up with a very easy way to do a "Spiral Mega Tree".

If I can find the time I will try to build a fast and dirty prototype and post my results.

Disney at Disney’s California Adventure did a mega tree quite similar to the one mentioned over 8 years ago. It looks very similar, with one difference, Disney’s tree lays flat (for storage) until show time. If you watch closely, you can see it being raised by hand.

Here is a YouTube link to the ill fated nighttime show named Luminaria, it was displayed on the water at DCA. The tree “appears” at about 8:40, toward the end of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udi-CgMwHRU

Here is a daytime picture of the "flattened tree"

http://www.disneygeek.com/holidays/holiday.php?page_id=6&update_dir=luminaria

Possibly fabric fencing with the holes in it. Similiar to chicken wire, then cut into strips about one foot wide? then wind around frame.

Man, I have to stop watching all of these great videos. There are just so many elements in all of these displays that make my mind buzz. Someday I'll be on caliber with the rest.

This one is a little busy for me and the fact that he can't now use his garage would bug me but, other than that it's truly a work of art!!!!

-Evan