Light-O-Rama Forums

Nice Basic Soldering Guide

RickWIlliams

That's a very nice guide - I like the logical organization and layout. As an inexperienced soldererer it will be quite helpful.

Interesting and for the most part a very good guide. You sound like a brit using names like "Mains" for outlet or commerical power just like a brit. Also I suppose it is a midwest thing, but it has always been soldering iron tip. And that brown bubbley stuff is the flux with maybe oxides with it.

Now the thing that really matters that would make this a perfect guide is this. You use a lot of pictures. Yet you do not show what a solder joint looks like with, to little amount of solder, just right amount of solder, to much solder, and a cold or balled solder joint. I feel that I will have to rate this 3 out of 5 thumbs due to the lack of the above mentioned photos.

But I appluad your effort helping newbies to learn how to solder. I think any hobbist that does not know how to solder is limiting themselfs. The above is not ment as a spanking, but to point out what I think would make your white paper much better. I bet you just overlooked those photos and meant to have them in your document.

rjnitto wrote:

Being "soldering-challenged", I welcome tutorials such as this. I recently came across a seven minute video tutorial that might also be helpful.

http://curiousinventor.com/guides/How_To_Solder

Richard

Richard,

Yes, that is an awsome video soldering primer, it explains a lot of information.