Light-O-Rama Forums

How to add video

Sean Rizor

Since next Christmas isn’t too far away I figured I better get a jump start on my new project. I want to add video to the show next year but I have a few concerns and questions. First I will say that my options of where to place a projector are limited.

What type of projector is best?

Can it be placed outside and if so how is that done without ruining the projector?

I’m thinking of projecting the video on to my “very” white garage door (no windows).

Then I have to find the videos for the music, which I have found to be a challenge. I can make my own videos, but I wouldn’t mind having the videos that actually correspond to the music.

If there is a better way, I’m open to suggestions.

I saw that site. I think I will be making most of my own videos, but I might use a couple of those. First I have to figure this whole video thing out. Maybe we'll both learn something here. I have a couple of ideas but I want to hear what others have to say first.

I hope all is well for you in Ohio.

Good evening

another buckeye here

been looking at epson projector ~$500.00

thought about linking the video effects of

media player to projector

I play music 2 hours before show and 2 hours after

turn off outdoor speakers and lights but still broadcast

can place in window to display on garage door

really don't know how that will look

use lasers now on garage doors and is only soso

my 2 cents

Frank a.:)

One thought that I had is building a screen and placing it just to the right of my garage where I can mount it in the ground. Then cut a hole in the garage that I can cap in the off months. (I have one of those already for my extension cords). I can build a platform on the garage wall to hold the projector and then put some sort of clear glass in front of the hole so that the projector doesn’t get damaged by the weather. I can do a rear projection. Although it will still be cold in the garage, so I don’t know how cold the projector can get.

Hi

I built an enclosure for a dmx fixture

using lexan for windows

got the lexan at loews --- easy to work with

i have a laminated sign 24x24 that the wind

just plays havoc with and snow builds up on it

don't understand that but it gets a thin layer every time it snows

sre you going to use myllar or some other material for screen

Frank A.:)

Adding video would be nice. Now the hard part.. Is there a way to synchronize the video and audio with LOR? The idea is that not only would the audio be in synch with the lighting effects but the video would be too. How would this be done? Does LOR support any media file extensions that have video and audio?

I Didn't mean to hijack the thread but it's related.:)

R Weiland wrote:

Adding video would be nice. Now the hard part.. Is there a way to synchronize the video and audio with LOR? The idea is that not only would the audio be in synch with the lighting effects but the video would be too. How would this be done? Does LOR support any media file extensions that have video and audio?

I Didn't mean to hijack the thread but it's related.:)

No problem, you have VERY valid questions. The simple answer is that LOR is the "best." The new S2 makes adding video a cinch as long as you have the video. You can either make your own video and mute the volume and overlay your audio in some kind of editing program, or you can add the video that goes with the song you want already finished. When you select the media file you just choose the video instead and then make sure the preferences is set to play the video. The extension you would want to use is an avi or mp4... I believe that both would be fine. I wouldn't be too concerned about resolution as it is going to be outside.

I'm finding the most difficult part is trying to figure out what projector to buy, where to place it, I.E. inside or outside, etc...

Wow; LOR is the best if it is that simple! Speaking of Wow. WOW lights sells a halloween, talking Bust package. The projector they provide in the package is the DELL M109S, which can be had for as low a $350. The M109S has recieved excellent reviews. I am considering the Dell myself for halloween effects but I have not pulled the trigger.

Can it be used outdoors? I saw that and kind of wanted to purchase it for a halloween display for next year, but I feel guilty that I should be putting all of that money into my display. Let me know how it works.

Yeah, video is pretty simple with LOR

I have a Epson projector with 2000 lumens.

Our projector is inside our office projecting thru a window onto a 2x4 frame covered with a shower curtain liner. People have asked me how I keep my flat screen TV dry and secure. :)

You can check out this years show videos some of which I have overlaid the video that was used.

Some of my videos did not have actual video for the sequence. I used S2s "show audio visualizer" feature and had sound spectrum winter wonders set as my WMP visualization.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to use videos in my display this year too. How does all that work? Do you use one of the channels to plug the projector in to?

The videos work off of your light-o-rama software, but I don't know that I would use one of the channels to run the projector. As time progresses I hope to come up with a sure-fire way to do this. I will post my results.

I would not recommend using a LOR channel to control your projector unless you use a servo or perhaps X10. If it is an expensive projector, you run the chance of burning up the motor and causing other problems to your show. The regular LOR boards do not like the inductive loads of a motor. Also, if your projector bulb has to cool down after you turn off the light, how would you do that using a LOR channel?

Do you plug the projector into the graphics card, add the vide media to the sequence, and the LOR software does the rest? What would keep the computer desktop from being displayed on the projection screen when a video wasn't playing?

Yes, you need a duel output graphics card. You plug your projector into an output that your main monitor is not hooked to.

Change the media in your sequences from audio file to your video file. You also need to tell S2 which monitor to display the video on. Edit>Preferences>Video Preferences..Make sure "Display Video" and "use Full Screen Mode" are checked. Click on "select Monitor" and follow the on screen directions. Both monitor and video projector need to be hooked up and turned on to set this up.

Nothing. When LOR is changing sequences your desktop background will be shown on the screen.

Some have their desktop set to black and all their videos start and end with a black fade in or out.

Yet, others have a still picture set for their PC background, and their videos fade in or out with this same still picture.

There is still a significant 'jump' in the video when changing from the actual video to the PC background.

I think someone else has combined all the sequences into one long sequence. Including one long video. That way there is not actual sequence/video change between songs. This would eliminate the 'jump'.

Thank you. That was a lot of very helpful information. BTW......I bought the projector that was advertised on Craig's List and I think it's going to work very well for what I want it for. I don't plan to have the screen set up where I have a lot of lights so I don't think I'll have to worry about the video being "washed out".

• 5 months later...

I guess I'll have to turn it on manually each day before the show starts like I did my Virtual Santa last year.

I'm thinking of hacking the remote by opening and tapping into the key pads. Then using either x-10 to relays or LOR dio board to relays. I would add a holiday annoucement voice over to the front of the video. This should give the projector time to startup and bring the bulb up to full lumens. I ordered the LOR servodog during this years sale. I might try using it to control some relays. This is my UNtested theroy.