Light-O-Rama Forums

CCR to outline a building?

eldoradoboy

having not seen a CCR in person, im trying to get a handle on its construction.. I see people using it in arches, poles, etc but I havent yet seen it used to outline a building....

is this something that could work as a building outline device? or would it be near impossible to mount it straight.. and is the controller on it too big to hide away under an eve?

right now I have 125 feet of C-9's outlining the house in 3 colors and am looking to replace them.. and the LED C-9 retros just arent very bright.. it looks like the CCR would be plenty bright

what are your thoughts?

-Christopher

The HWU lets you say how many are strung together. They would all use the same controller with the number of LEDs in an addressable pixel getting larger as you go. However, the documentation says each ribbon would need its own power supply.

Dan has not said yet that they are ready to sell ribbons without the controller. I am looking forward to that release to see how good the price is. There are also some concerns about how to connect them and retain weather resistance which I am sure will be overcome.

I used 2 CCR's this year, one to outline part of the house and one as a double arch.

I have 6 songs sequenced to them, but when not running the show, have it on a Candy Cane effect with a warmer 'white' than the normal 'bright' white to blend into the rest of the lights.

I use C9's on the rest of the house trim...clearly, the CCR's are MUCH brighter!!

Attached files CCRx2.zip

I never thought about the idea of running more than one ribbon per controller.. that would be super kickin!!!

can the ribbons themselves get snowed, iced , and rained on? I know the controllers cannot get wet but thats easy to handle.. even weatherproofing the connections between ribbons wouldnt be hard...

not knowing what processor is in the ribbons themselves.. wouldnt I have to somehow "program" a subsequent ribbon to be the next set of channels? each pixel is addressable which means it has some sort of address on the ribbon itself (not just the controller)...

or would each ribbon take on the previous ribbons addresses? ( I hope not as id liketo have the ultimate in effects with 125 feet of individual pixels....)

-Christopher

Page 6 of the manual. Has a picture of HWU which says "Number of end to end strips. " (another instance of changing terminology)

This is bullet #2
The controller supports a maximum of 50 physical pixels. As ribbons are added end-to-end, adjacent pixels are combined to limit
the number of pixels to 50. E.g. for two ribbons, a physical pixel becomes 6 adjacent RGB LEDs.

so basicilly if I connect 2 ribbons together pixels 1 and 2 on the first ribbon become pixel 1?

or is it pixel 1 on ribbon 1 and pixel 1 on ribbon 2 that would be bridged?

-Christopher

that url worked although not sure why I needed that sarcastic google thing....

this thing looks awesome although I wish I could have more ribbons on 1 controller and have thje pixel count just increment.. but wont be a big deal to have multiple controllers.. I think i want the resolution to be tight... the whole idea for me to use the CCR is for a lot of razzle dazzle....
-Christopher

Apparently ItsMeBobO thinks that your question was somewhat of a bother to him personally. This is taken directly from the source of the page he linked to.

This is for all those people that find it more
convenient to bother you with their question rather than google it for
themselves.

He's using the LMGTFY script ("Let Me Google That For You")

Some people just have to be the way they are! :-(

Hi

I too am looking at the option of outlining our eaves with CCR and am hoping there will be some good feedback from those who used them this year. I would be needing 4 connected on one frontage and 2 connected on the other frontage. (ie 2 CCRs, 1 with 3 extensions & the other with 1 extension.) I am hoping Dan will post details of the options (& pricing) for the extensions together with cabling arrangements. I already have 12V DC power so I hope that it is just a matter of having the right plugs available.

For those who used CCRs this season, your comments and experiences would be much appreciated (as well as video links).

Regards Geoff

• The topic was locked