Light-O-Rama Forums

Channels 1-8 Failed - Urgent!

Paul29

Last night I start up the show and the fourth of my five CTB16PC controllers has channels 1-8 not working. This morning I opened the enclosure and saw that the ethernet output receptacle had been pulled back away from the board slightly; likely due to someone kicking the ethernet cable. However, it still sent output to controller 5 efficiently last night during the show.

After I reset the controller this morning however, the hardware utility would not find controller 5. So I rearranged my cables so that the series is 1->2->3->5->4. This way even if the output on controller 4 is damaged, it can still receive the signal. After this, all 5 controllers were found in the hardware utility but channels 1-8 on Unit 4 still won't work.

Resetting the controller didn't help. I've thought about downloading firmware, but it says the version is 4.40 which is higher than the version available on the LOR website. Could the damaged ethernet output be causing this problem? I'm lost for ideas at this point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that controller 4 is only controlling LED light strings. Channels 9-16 each have a 70 count C6 LED string and channels 1-8 control 2 70 Count LED strings in parallel.

Would it still be possible to blow a fuse with this setup?

The board also came pre-assembled, so I didn't have to solder anything. Just to double check though, are there 2 fuses on the board, horizontally positioned, towards the bottom of the triac board and covered with a plastic protector?

When diagnosing a problem, it is always proper to start from the beginning and check the obvious. Should a couple of LED strings pop a fuse, probably not. Could a couple of LED strings pop a fuse, probably given the right circumstances.

He means a blown fuse, look on your board, there are 2, one for channels 1-8 and one for channels 9-16. they look like the old style auto fuses, but white. If you don't have a spare, you can switch the two and see if your problem switches to channels 9-16.

I think Lowes sells the replacement, something like a microwave fuse.

use your control panel to turn on one of the channels to test it.

keep in mind, something like a short circuit in one of your light strings caused this fuse to blow.

Also check to make sure both of your power input plugs are actually energized with 110 volts. you will need a multi meter to test this on the board.

hope this helps

Victory402 wrote:

. . . . look on your board, there are 2, one for channels 1-8 and one for channels 9-16. they look like the old style auto fuses, but white. If you don't have a spare, you can switch the two and see if your problem switches to channels 9-16.

This will not have the desired effect. The fuse that powers channels 9-16 also provides the supplies for the board to operate. Without this fuse, the board will not work.

Regards,

Alan.

Alan C wrote:

This will not have the desired effect. The fuse that powers channels 9-16 also provides the supplies for the board to operate. Without this fuse, the board will not work.

Regards,

Alan.

If he were to swap the fuses, and the right side of the board failed to power up, it would confirm that the fuse (from the left side) is bad.

Don wrote:

If he were to swap the fuses, and the right side of the board failed to power up, it would confirm that the fuse (from the left side) is bad.

True, that would work. I was thinking along the lines that he still wouldn't be able to energise circuits 1-8.

Regards,

Alan.

Hey guys, swapped the fuses and the board won't power up.

Where can I buy a replacement?

Also, the channels 1-8 are controlling two LED strings simultaneously. In the pigtail I have a junction box that allows me to take power in two opposite directions in parallel. For example, Channel 1 controls the two bottom channels of my bellagio poles and channel 2 controls the next sections and so on.

Is there any household item I could 'borrow' a fuse from for a day?

Since it's Boxing Day and the show starts in about an hour, I'd probably not be able to make it in and out of a hardware store that quickly. It's madness out there!