Light-O-Rama Forums

How do you keep your controllers dry

csf

I bought the 16 controller starter kit. It says that its rated for out door use, but now I have scene many pictures of people with controllers in side garages, sheds, or other additional protection.

From your experience, is the controller fine to be put out side as is, or should I put it in side of some thing else? If so do plastic containers wok good?

Good morning

my outside units are covered with a tarp

mounted LOR unit on a horse that has a shelf in the legs

nice place for all the plugs (off of the ground)

covered horse and LOR unit

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

Frank A.:D

Attached files 192961=10809-slide5.jpg

csf wrote:

I bought the 16 controller starter kit. It says that its rated for out door use, but now I have scene many pictures of people with controllers in side garages, sheds, or other additional protection.

From your experience, is the controller fine to be put out side as is, or should I put it in side of some thing else? If so do plastic containers wok good?

If you get a ton of rain in December, you might want some additional protection. As strange as it sounds, simply using a plastic garbage bag over the controller enclosure will give it a ton more protection. We don't get a lot of December rain, so I just use the enclosures outside.

I think most people who use the controllers indoors do it for security reasons.

Frank-- Nothing wrong with your setup, but if it were mine I'd remove the high-voltage sign. If I were a vandal, I wouldn't even think to look under that tarp -- for all I know it's lawn furniture or firewood or something. But that sign makes it look much more interesting...

I have 6 of the CTB16PC with the plastic enclosure. Only 2 are covered, and that's because they are mounted on unfinished plywood, so it's really for the protection of that plywood (until I decide to paint it). The other 4 are directly effected by the elements - 2 are on the mega-tree, and 2 are on stakes in the yard behind the arches.

In all cases, the boxes are high enough that the connections are at least a foot off the ground. They have a plastic closure clip and a screw closure that are both used. I have never had any issues with my boxes due to weather, and I live in Atlanta where the only snow you see is in print (with very rare exception). Rain in winter, on the other had, is ubiquitous as the common cold (or the H1N1 virus - nod to the CDC). We've had 4.64" of rain since December 1, and it's predicted to rain tomorrow and Saturday as well.

Where I did have weather related issues in the past was with connections that left on the ground. Even when standing water wasn't apparent, my GCFI's would trip. But once I got connections off the ground, I never had any other issues.

Thanks for the ideas I like the one with the horse unit, my original plan was to go get two 4 by 4 and stick them in the ground but I think the horse will be easer, and probably less prone to tipping over. Then I can put a bag over it for good measure.

I have noticed my number once cause for GCF trips is water getting in side light bulb holders. Incase any one is trying to weed out the pest in there system.

Guest wbottomley

Besides the plastic enclosures that come with the boards... I don't cover up anything. We get everything from rain, sleet, snow, and even freezing rain.

So all in all... if properly mounted, you'll have no problems.

DSC01475.jpg

I've got about 40 of the PC controllers out in the weather with no additional protection but the factory case. The last 4 are in a place that gets a crazy amount of runoff from the roof, and they have one strip of duct tape across the top of the enclosure. One of those 4 is the only issue I have had, including a few times when I accidentally did not have the case fully closed.

"How do you keep your controllers dry?"
Move to Alberta where it is cold enough for any water to freeze!

brandnio wrote:

I have mine inside with all the wires going out two of our second story windows.

Does it get cold in Nebraska? Those rooms would be freezing (not to mention the cost to try to keep them warm).

PaulXmas wrote:

brandnio wrote:
I have mine inside with all the wires going out two of our second story windows.

Does it get cold in Nebraska? Those rooms would be freezing (not to mention the cost to try to keep them warm).

We have just the cords themselves going out the window, so there's only about an half inch of space in between those. One of the windows also has some foam to keep the cold out, the other has a storm window on which works pretty good.

It can get cold here though. A few nights this past week have gotten down below 0

Not sure who you're asking Linda but in case it was me, we bought our gift boxes at Walmart last year during their 75% off(or it may have even been 90% off). We ended up buying 4 large sets and 4 small sets and after we got home realized that they only charged us for 2 of the large sets. :D

-Jeff

Yes I meant you, but after I posted I noticed I had placed it in the wrong place.:D

Thanks. I'll have to check Walmart out and see if they have any this year.

Cool... thanks for the kind words. :) I'd like to pick up one more large and small just for backups in case anything should happen to any of them but I haven't been able to make to Walmart this past couple of weeks... I may try to go early in the morning just to beat the insane shopping crowds. :D

Have a good weekend,
Jeff

So today I went out, I bought a horse, put it out side, put for wooden stick, one on each corner in to the ground matching the angle of the horse and tied them t the horse. Should definitely not be going any where.

I moved all the connections that will need to go in to the controller on it and covered it with a tarp.

I don't have the controller out side yet cause I will need a longer wire, 100ft was not long enough (note I am running it from a net book, but rather not leave it out in the snow). Does LOR use regular cat 5 wire if I go out to a store and buy more?

then I replaced a rubber seal on one of my spot lights that was not right, and warped up as many of my connections as possible with electrical tape.

Note I did most of this while it was snowing out.

I heard were expected to get 9 - 18 inches of snow (prays every thing stay working),

I agree about not wrapping connections. Unless it's perfect, (and what is?), you risk trapping moisture in the connection. Same thing with the LOR box. Don't seal it up.

Rick