Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Schedule Questions Breaker Tripping Problem

cyberfix

cmoore60 wrote:

If you used a standard duplex receptacle for this circuit it is not installed properly. The duplex receptacles come in 2 flavors that I know. A 15 amp version where both blades are parallel to each other. And a 20 amp version where one of the blades is perpendicular to the other, usually on a 20 amp version they are made to accept a 15 amp plug or the 20 amp plug.

I think you need to verify your wiring.

Chuck

I appeciate the feedback from everyone. I know the wiring is AWG 10, so I am good there. The plugs, I am not sure if they are 15 or 20 amp plugs. All connections are done within enclosed junction boxes which are fastened to the framework. I suppose I should install GFCI outlets.

I went out at lunch today and got the Kill-O-WattEZ. I do not know about it being easy! It took a bit of work, but I tested all of the 64 channels that I have in use. It appears with my modest attempt of a Christmas Show, that I have more than 30A potential drawing on the circuit (38A to be more exact without motion floods). This explains why I am having the issues that I am having.

The motion flood lights are removed from the controllers already as they sucked in almost 7 amps. My controler 1 has 11.46A, controller 2 has 15.16A, controller 3 has 6.22A and controller 4 has 5.98A. I am thinking of moving controller 1 to a different circuit which will put me below 30 amps on my main circuit. All values above are far the total 16 channels.

My last questions with the power stuff...

1) I did not test the whole controller powered up, just the individual channels. Does the controller add to the total amperage used or not? If so, is there an average amount?

2) Is the controller that is at 15.16A for all 16 channels okay or not? I have both cords plugged into the same 30 amp circuit.

3) Anybody have any idea what the going rate of an electrician would be to install a seperate breaker box with two new plugs in the soffits? This is for the Dallas area. I know it is hard to estimate, but is this an hourly thing, fixed rate or what?

Thanks for all the help!

cyberfix wrote

2) Is the controller that is at 15.16A for all 16 channels okay or not? I have both cords plugged into the same 30 amp circuit.

Assuming the LOR is the type with separate cords for the left side (chan 1-8) and right side (chan 9-16), then the LOR is fine. If the outlet is rated for 20A, then the outlet is fine. If the outlet is rated for 15A, then it is overloaded.

BTW, I'm not a licensed electrician, but even though your wiring sounds okay, I still don't think it's technically legal. I don't believe NEC code allows you to throw multiple 20A receptacles on a residential circuit and fuse/breaker it at more than 20A.

Jeff Sand wrote:

cyberfix wrote

Assuming the LOR is the type with separate cords for the left side (chan 1-8) and right side (chan 9-16), then the LOR is fine. If the outlet is rated for 20A, then the outlet is fine. If the outlet is rated for 15A, then it is overloaded.

BTW, I'm not a licensed electrician, but even though your wiring sounds okay, I still don't think it's technically legal. I don't believe NEC code allows you to throw multiple 20A receptacles on a residential circuit and fuse/breaker it at more than 20A.

All of my controllers have two power cords coming out of them, so as long as my outlets support 20A, then it sounds like they should be okay. Thanks for the information on the breaker technicalities. Once I get some professionally installed plugs, I will get those converted to a 20AMP breaker and such to make them compliant.

Cyberfix,

I am sorry, you did not understand my earlier post, nor the recent post. If you have a 30 amp breaker and 10 ga wire, you are still not in the clear. Here is the problem and if you owned this house and tried to sell it. You would not pass the inspection because the recepticle that you have installed is not rated for 30 amps as I was telling you in my earlier post. In this case, I think the only kind of recepticle that is rated for 30 amps is a twist lock recepticle. That sir is what everyone is saying. The recepticle has to be of equal or greater rating than the wire and breaker. And I am not real sure of the greater part. But I do know it has to be of equal current rating.

So, your 15 or 20 amp recepticle is the issue...