Light-O-Rama Forums

X-10

Seaclear

X-10 is pretty easy to use. Other than the fact that you have to put the CM11A (computer interface) on the same leg of the breaker panel as the modules, it's not a huge hassle. I have problems every once and a while, but I usually can clear them up by disabling shows and re-enabling them.

One thing I did this year as opposed to past years was put the X-10 network on my computer, and LOR on the show computer. That way, if there was an x-10 problem, I didn't have to log onto my remote show computer and disable shows.

lkcubsrule wrote:

X-10 is pretty easy to use. Other than the fact that you have to put the CM11A (computer interface) on the same leg of the breaker panel as the modules, it's not a huge hassle. I have problems every once and a while, but I usually can clear them up by disabling shows and re-enabling them.

One thing I did this year as opposed to past years was put the X-10 network on my computer, and LOR on the show computer. That way, if there was an x-10 problem, I didn't have to log onto my remote show computer and disable shows.

Luke - you can get a X-10 bridge/repeater that bridges both legs of the panel - either one plugged into the panel, or a simple plug-in for any 220 line (I use mine plugged into the electric dryer outlet).

The repeater completely cleared up lost signals, etc for me. I have a large home, with lots of circuits. X-10 has performed reliably for me for years, ever since installing the X-10 repeater.

You can also purchase a X-10 bridge (same thing except doesn't retransmit the signal), but it does not work as reliably.

Greg

I use it for many static displays and security lighting (driven via LOR). I use it the remainder of the year for landcape lighting, security lighting, and fountains (driven via ActiveHome and the CM11A directly)

Greg Young wrote:

lkcubsrule wrote:

Luke - you can get a X-10 bridge/repeater that bridges both legs of the panel - either one plugged into the panel, or a simple plug-in for any 220 line (I use mine plugged into the electric dryer outlet).

The repeater completely cleared up lost signals, etc for me. I have a large home, with lots of circuits. X-10 has performed reliably for me for years, ever since installing the X-10 repeater.

You can also purchase a X-10 bridge (same thing except doesn't retransmit the signal), but it does not work as reliably.

Greg

How does the repeater connect to the panel? Our house being new, we don't have any 220V outlets...(gas dryer)

lkcubsrule wrote:

Greg Young wrote:
lkcubsrule wrote:

Greg

How does the repeater connect to the panel? Our house being new, we don't have any 220V outlets...(gas dryer)

Luke it is wired to either both poles of a 220 breaker, or to the single pole of 2 separate 110 breakers, making sure one breaker is on one leg of the bus, the other on the other leg.

One important piece of advice:

If you are going to add a bridge/repeater to your panel - leave this type of work to a qualified electrician!

Greg

I have the same bridge/repeater as Greg (we chatted about it when I first purchased mine). It works good and makes X-10 signals a lot more reliable. Prior to that, I had a cheap capacitor bridge (actually I think it's still installed) and it didn't work as well.

Greg Young wrote:

If you are going to add a bridge/repeater to your panel - leave this type of work to a qualified electrician!

Greg

It's a pretty straight forward install. If you are not afraid to change your own breaker, it's a diy job. If the thought of pulling your panel cover makes you nervous, then yes, hire an electrician.

iresq wrote:

Greg Young wrote:

Greg

It's a pretty straight forward install. If you are not afraid to change your own breaker, it's a diy job. If the thought of pulling your panel cover makes you nervous, then yes, hire an electrician.

Safety is always my first concern.

I didn't want to give advice to someone who I don't know their comfort level/background knowledge in, and then hear later he/she got hurt by trying something I suggested. I agree it's a simple install, as long as a person knows what they are doing...

Greg, just out of curiosity, do you just have yours inside the panel, or did you get an external box for it? The instructions said to get an external box, but I couldn't find something that would work well (without getting something ridiculously big and expensive due to the strange shape of the device) so I just placed it in side the panel box, which had plenty of extra room. Not sure if that's a code violation but it's been that way for something like 5 years now and I don't see what it could hurt...

Good morning

Mark

here is a link to feedback about x10

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=21129&forum_id=81&highlight=x10+links

attached is updated info where to buy x10 equipment

x10 works for events that have non critical timing

utilize mine for lasers that have preprogrammed routines

note: had to add a string of mini lights for x10 outlets to power laser

power supplies --- just a load thing

Frank A.;)

Attached files 193132=10816-x10_equipment.jpg

Tim Fischer wrote:

Greg, just out of curiosity, do you just have yours inside the panel, or did you get an external box for it? The instructions said to get an external box, but I couldn't find something that would work well (without getting something ridiculously big and expensive due to the strange shape of the device) so I just placed it in side the panel box, which had plenty of extra room. Not sure if that's a code violation but it's been that way for something like 5 years now and I don't see what it could hurt...

Hi Tim:

I used an outside outlet box (one of the weather proof units), as the repeater was just too big, as you noted.

It remained until we had our panel redone last fall, when we put in a whole house generator. The generator required separating grounds from neutrals, which involved rewiring of the panel, so while he was in there it made sense to clean things up. We went from 21 double pole breakers to 42 single pole breakers in a bigger panel.

The repeater was removed, and I am now using a simple plug-in repeater that plugs into the dryer 220 volt outlet, which actually is at the farthest point in our home wiring from the panel. Despite that, it works 100%.

I was so frustratrated with X-10 before the repeater, and have been 100% satisfied with it since. I gave my old one to my son-in-law. It fixed his X-10 issues as well!

Greg

Good evening

just as a note

I ordered a cm11a for a spare

what was sent is a

model HC60CRX computer interface

Thomson Consumer Electronics Deptford NJ

tested the unit on my setup and functioned without a problem

thought another model to search for might be a good thing

CM11A and HC60CRX give me the same function thru LOR software

Frank A.;)

Hi

more info from HEYU.org site

The CM11A is manufactured by X-10 (USA) Inc and sold as such and as part of their CK11A ActiveHome kit. It is also sold rebranded as the IBM HD11 Home Director and the RCA HC60CRX Home Control Interface. It plugs into an AC socket and connects to the computer via an RS232 serial port. (A USB-Serial adapter can be used for computers which don't have an RS232 port.) It has a clock with battery backup and a 1 KB non-volatile memory for stored timers and macros.

Frank A.;)

Frank A. wrote:

1 KB non-volatile memory for stored timers and macros.  

Holy smokes, I knew it was small, but 1K? Wow.

I'm pretty sure they were selling that thing back in the early 80's though-- I remember seeing the ActiveHome kit for Apple II back when I got mags for that system...

• 11 months later...

I'm looking to purchase and X10 setup to control my FM sign and donation box as I'm having instability on LOR channels staying on all the time.

Is there a list of equipment that you would recommend to purchase based on your experience?

Thanks Jeff