Light-O-Rama Forums

How to connect a LORII whit a DMX512 Controller

barbosaa

There are a few different ways your question could be interpreted.

If you are looking to have LOR S2 control a DMX wall washer, then you need to add an iDMX-1000. Your LOR controllers continue doing exactly what they have done in the past. The iDMX takes commands from the LOR network for a separate range of controller addresses, and converts them to commands on the DMX network that go to the DMX wall washer fixture.

• 1 month later...

What if I have a USB to DMX adapter/convertor (Enttec DMX Pro)? Can LOR use it to output DMX?

I prefer to use the LOR software, but I have a mixed collection of controllers - some LOR, some Renard (running DMX), and am looking at adding other DMX items down the road.

Unlike most DMX systems, LOR does not compute every intensity. Rather, it sends instructions to the controllers telling them to ramp x much over then next several time cycles. With DMX, you have to compute and send the desired intensity in every DMX frame. So generating the DMX stream is much more time consuming than generating the LOR stream. The only way that the LOR software currently generates DMX is by using the iDMX to accept the LOR commands, and generate the appropriate DMX frames. To show how much effort this takes, the iDMX only supports 64 concurrent fades, twinkles, and shimmers. All other channels are treated as fixed intensity.

Larry I can help with that question.

I know a lot of people use the Enttec Pro adapter, just like RJ's Lynx USB adapter, over on the DIY world. S2 will connect directly to to adapter. I use a lot of DIY DMX things, especially RJs stuff. I have the iDMX which sends out DMX signals. That is attached to RJ's DMX wireless TX which sends out all my DMX signals. This keeps all my LOR stuff on one side and my DMX stuff on its own side.

It really is a great setup and allows so much in the way versatility in controllers.

(Now you know why I need the other 256 channels from the iDMX...hint hint Dan)

• The topic was locked