Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for videos of 16-channel contolled lights (LOR)

Guest guest

Michael B wrote:

Joseph Ayo wrote:
Using Chasers, in the old days (1999, 2000) I used only 16 circuits with music, however due to burned up relays, I could only use about 11 circuits total. In this video you can see almost 1/2 acre covered with lights. Chasing lights and techniques allow you to do much much more with fewer circuits and cover a really big area.

This is the original Beethoven's 5th Disco sequence. Since I uploaded my sequence onto Dasher's User Group web page, others have downloaded it and its become a part of many other people's shows and still plays in displays around the world.

http://palmgarden.org/beetoven.wmv

Joseph,

That is a lot of lights for for only 11 circuits. That was a great example of sequencing. When I see you on the 24th I will ask you about it.

Thanks for sharing.

Michael B

No problem. In the days when Beethoven's 5th was done (1998/1999). I simply never heard of anyone doing a song at faster then 1/2 second columns. I dont believe Dasher's clicker or tapper was quite in yet, and for that matter, I had the good fortune of building my own computer with about 333 mhz MMX (which just came out and was the fastest chip around at the time), where other Dasher users were still on 486 computers or 50 mhz pentiums so for the most part, most guys out there including Dasher author, Drew Hickman werent capable of running sequences at faster then 1/2 second columns and run MP3's at the same time. Well I had found I had sufficient power to run as fast as 1/15 second columns but found that to mostly be too fast, but 1/10th second columns ran great. I was kinda suprised when I made this video and sent it to Drew Hickman and he was like saying, "No way, I had no idea Dasher could operate like that!".

Well needless to say, I was venturing into completely uncharted territory. We had no clicker/tapper. Only way to do it was wing it with trail and error. It was WAY too hard to sync every note, but since I already had chasing lights that I had remanufactured for use on MIDI equipment was working great on Dasher and this guided me into using chasing styles and techniques for syncing to music. It just so happened the same pattern used on 4 channel inline chasers, looked pretty good on the growing boxes straight line chasers, except I had to expand the pattern to include 5 circuits instead of just 4. In the video its obvious the few places the song is actually synced to and it took 5 hours to get those few places down, then the rest was just fill in between with varying chasing patterns which many were copied and pasted from the 4 channel inline chasers to the 5 channel growing box chasers.

Romar904 wrote:

I have 2 houses side by side that share only 16 channels. Heres a link to some videos.

Romar,

I like the way you sequenced mainly the words to the Frank S. song. It was well done. I was a mazed that you could cover 2 buildings with only 16-channels.

Great job!

Michael B.

wseay wrote:

Brian Mitchell wrote:
I had just 16 channels last year. YOu can check my videos here

http://www.mychristmaslights.net/brian/

Great Job Brian!!

Where were you able to find the 'Toy Shack' song? I really like novelty songs like that and would like to use it.

The singer is Bob Rivers. Google him and go to Amazon.com. You can listen to samples of his music. He has several albums. Just a little warning: Some of his song aren't appropriate for little ears.

He has a great song, Yellow Snow, Yellow Snow. If you go to LOR and check out the winner, you will see an incredibly funny video of LOR and a Bob Rivers songs sequenced together. Click on videos. It is on PC, too.

Michael Beason

Edit: When I Googled it, it was the sixth one down.

Toy Sack is a parody by Bob Rivers. He has done about a bazillion parody songs and a half a bazillion Christmas parodies. Search for him on Amazon.com. I play several of his songs throughout the night but that is the only one I've sequenced.

Edit: note to self.......read rest of thread before answering..... There's an echo in here....oh its me.

eckilson wrote:

My display last year had 16 channels - 8 on the mege tree, 8 on the bushes and house. Video doesn't show the light very well, but here it is anyway:

http://www.holidaycutouts.com/merry_christmas_2005.wmv

Erik,

I want a Nativity set like yours! It is awesome. I am saving to get one next year. Where did you get yours?

Thanks for sharing your 16 channel show. It shows another example of how we can animate our display.

I liked your mega tree, too.

Michael B