Light-O-Rama Forums

Looking for videos of 16-channel contolled lights (LOR)

Guest guest

Hi,

I have ordered a 16 channel controller from LOR. I ordered the starter package, also. I did SAVE10 and said put me at the back of the list. (Yes, I am crazy!!! I needed to save the money first. I have the money now. I'm just waiting for everyone to get their SAVE10 order, then I get mine.)

I would like to see videos of anyone who used 16 channels so I can get an idea of how much I can do with only 16 channels. If you could direct me to the tread or site that might help, I would greatly appreciate it!

I keep looking at the best videos then discover they used 80 or more channels.

I'm in the planning stages and know I need to get on the stick and start moving forward.

Thank you,

Michael B

Hey Michael... I have took my 16 channel LOR camping and I didn't four different songs. I done this in front of my tent, but maybe it will give you some ideas.. If you have any questions on what i puy ton each channel ask away!

jpcrew109 wrote:

Hey Michael... I have took my 16 channel LOR camping and I didn't four different songs. I done this in front of my tent, but maybe it will give you some ideas.. If you have any questions on what i puy ton each channel ask away!

JP,

I loved it! Wow! You have the coolest camping tent ever!

You might have started a new category for Planet Christmas' World Wide Contest! The prize would be $1,000 in camping gear. :laughing:

Now back to the thread:

I loved your mini trees. I am confused about the channels though. That shows what a newbie I am at this! :]

It appears you had each on the four trees on a separate channel. You had 4 different colors on each tree. I suppose 100 lights of each color per tree. Well, that would be 16 channels, so I must be wrong about something. You have other lights on other channels. So, please explain your channel layout.

Thanks and I loved it.

Michael B

Well I was hoping that my idea would trick people and it definitly did! I was limited to bring one bin of stuff so many things were small...

Channel--Descrpition

1--TENT RED

2--TENT GREEN

3--TENT BLUE

4--TENT WHITE

5--MINI TREE WHITE 1

6--MINI TREE WHITE 2

7--MINI TREE WHITE 3

8--MINI TREE WHITE 4

9--ALL MINI TREES RED

10--ALL MINI TREES GREEN

11--ALL MINI TREES BLUE

12--THINGS ( Christmas tree, bow, star, and snowman)

13--CANDY CANES

14--ROPE LIGHT

Ok I lied I only used 14 channels...channel 9 hooked up to ALL the red mini trees, channel 10 hooked up to ALL the GREEN trees and channel 11 hooked up to ALL the BLUE Trees. So when the trees chased each other it was only the white ones if you noticed....so it gives the audience the illusion that i have alot more channels... Get it? I hope this helps!

Joe, thank you for that reply! I was "short" a few channels for what I wanted to do this year, and your mini tree setup sounds like it may solve the problem. :waycool:

and each tree only had 100 lights on it ...I only wrapped 1/3 of the whole tree ( the front) this way you have on power, lights and it claspes to easier storage!!! LIKE Under beds!!!

JP,

Thanks for your plan. It really helped. I was confused, but now I see the LIGHT!!!!

A question: At one point it looked like you had multi-lights on the 4 mini tree. Did you turn all lights to get that effect? I liked it.

Great job!!!

Michael B

Don wrote:

Check out Steve Singleton's video's. He only had 16 channels last year.

http://www.putfile.com/mrshowstopper

Don,

Thanks for the info, I checked out the videos. Steve really filled out his display with only 16 channels. This has helped me think bigger!

A big thanks to you and JP.

If there are any more videos of 16 channels please let me know!

Michael B

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I had just 16 channels last year. YOu can check my videos here

http://www.mychristmaslights.net/brian/

Brain,

Thanks for sharing those amazing shows. I couldn't believe want you did with just 16-channels. I have lots of questions, however I need to pay the bills. I owe, I owe, it's off to school I go!

I'll ask later today.

Michael B

Brian,

I loved what you did with 16 channels. Here are my questions and or comments:

Could you list your plan for each channel like JP (Joe)? This was very helpful.

With all the strobes, wasn't sure what kind you used and which channels or channel they were on. I thought they really added to your show. What kind of Strobes did you use and how and where were they hooked up to the controller/channels?

I suggest that PCers watch one music video first, watch the tour, and then watch the rest of the videos. I never realized that you had that much of a display until you walked us through it and explained each piece through the tour.

The train you were given is awesome! Can you explain that story?

How do you store most of your display in the shed? You have a lot of stuff. Does that shed have a basement? :laughing:

Your carousel was cool. What did you do to rework it?

Also, you stated that your controller wasn't working in the back yard. Did you fix it? What are your plans for your display this year?

Wow! That is a lot of questions. If there are any tricks, hints, or details that you would like to add about how you used 16 channels to do so much with your shows, we all would love to learn them.

Thanks,

Michael B

Well....this could be a long post.......here goes...

Could you list your plan for each channel like JP (Joe)? This was very helpful.
1 West house peaks
2 West house decorations (1 and 2 dont show in videos due to angle)
3 Chimney and front roofline
4 Perimeter lights west and south
5 Front windows and door
6 Ash and reflector trees
7Merry Christmas sign
8 Gift lights and Choir
9 East peak lights
10 Porch and arch
11 Soldiers
12 Perimeter lights east side
13 Snowman family
14 Other snowmen
15 Crabapple tree and Santa
16 Strobes

With all the strobes, wasn't sure what kind you used and which channels or channel they were on. I thought they really added to your show. What kind of Strobes did you use and how and where were they hooked up to the controller/channels?

I have 20 strobes. 10 are Chauvet curtain strobes and 10 are Darrell Browns.

I suggest that PCers watch one music video first, watch the tour, and then watch the rest of the videos. I never realized that you had that much of a display until you walked us through it and explained each piece through the tour.

The train you were given is awesome! Can you explain that story?
I came home from work one day and it was sitting on my screen porch. I suspect it was a family member (inlaw) but noone will admit it. It will probably force me to learn to make wireframes as I want to add cars to it.

How do you store most of your display in the shed? You have a lot of stuff. Does that shed have a basement? :laughing:
You DON'T want to look in that shed. It is packed to the rafters. Also my cellar.....attic..... My wife said when the swingset goes, we should get another shed.
She may be right.

Your carousel was cool. What did you do to rework it?
The rework mentioned on the video was a new paint job and sealer and I also redid the rope lights to look better. This spring was a big rework because the motor stripped out after an ice storm.

Also, you stated that your controller wasn't working in the back yard. Did you fix it? What are your plans for your display this year?

I had a Noma Digital Decorating box controlling the candles and trees in the backyard that quit. Amazingly someone who I don't know, dropped a new one off on my porch in February while we were eating supper. He got away before I was able to thank him.

Brain,

Thanks for sharing your videos and answering all my questions. You were very helpful.

I'll have to check the price of strobes. My wife and I like the effect.

Thanks again and great show.

Michael B

Zac_Cutt wrote:

Zac,

The quality of your Mega tree was outstanding. I liked the different effect that made the tree look like it was spinning. The floods and strobes were really cool! Could you tell us what was on each channel?

Didn't you order a big purchase from LOR this year or was that Daniel?

Zac, I'm impressed with what you did. You are really talented. :dude:

Michael B

Hi, thanks for the comment.

From memory the breakdown:

12 megatree slices
1 white mega tree outline / wireframe scene
1 strobes
1 radio station sign (doesnt do anything in the show)
1 ease lights and floods.

Next year I will have a total of 160 channels although only about half are for my display.

Zac