Light-O-Rama Forums

Tripping circuit breaker

BamaFlum

I have a PC box that worked last year. When I plug in each side separaterly, they work fine. When I have them both plugged in, they trip the circuit breaker. My other PC box and 1602 work great. Any suggestions?

Good afternoon

problem I just recently had was on circuit 9

right side of board powered my device

and common was on the left side of board

each side has its own ground fault

turn one on ok

turn other on ok

turn both on both gfi's would trip

do not know if that is your problem or not

I just happened to have an old strand of lights rgb

that had a common neutral between them

used channels 7 8 9 -- not a good thing

This might steer you in the correct direction

Frank A.:)

Have a great Thanksgiving

Thanks. How did you figure out which light string it was?

BTW, I tested the other circuits and visual inspected the front of the board. I wanted to see what I could do before I took it apart. Plus, I know just enough about electrical work to make me dangerous.

Hi

I unplugged everything

started installing on plug at a time

got to channel 9 and poof

Stood back -- litterly and looked at the layout

and said to myself -- you are one dumb son

this also was over a two evening trial and error

Hi again

worst part was I was not going to change layout

so I moved 7 8 9 channels to 10 11 12

Now all sequencing had to cut and pasted

but that beat redoing layout

As much details as possible will help us help you.

Does it trip the breaker when ONLY plugging in both of the power input cords? IF this is happening I would make sure that the hot and neutral for each side are located where they should be.

If it trips the breaker when you are trying to turn on lights. Then pay real close attention to what is turned on last before the breaker trips.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

As much details as possible will help us help you.

Does it trip the breaker when ONLY plugging in both of the power input cords? IF this is happening I would make sure that the hot and neutral for each side are located where they should be.

If it trips the breaker when you are trying to turn on lights. Then pay real close attention to what is turned on last before the breaker trips.

Chuck

No lights are on. Just plugging in the units to test them. Plugged in one side. Fine. Unplug it. Plug in other side. Fine. Plug in both sides...poof. The board looks good. I haven't removed it to check the back...trying all options before I do that. We had a dew on the ground this morning. When I have time (helping the wife get ready for tomorrow, I owe it to her after working on lights three out of the last four days), I will unplug everything, and start them one at a time to see if I have a bad strand.

If it trips the breaker with just the input cords both plugged in then there is no need to go further as far as testing outputs.

The problem is more than likely something bridging between your 2 hots (black wires). Possibly a rodent. You mention dew. Was the controller on the ground? I have had my controllers in all weather, rain, snow, and ice. As long as not laying on the ground to get flooded and the cover is in place should not be a problem.

I do think time to pull the board loose and look for something underneath.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

If it trips the breaker with just the input cords both plugged in then there is no need to go further as far as testing outputs.

The problem is more than likely something bridging between your 2 hots (black wires). Possibly a rodent. You mention dew. Was the controller on the ground? I have had my controllers in all weather, rain, snow, and ice. As long as not laying on the ground to get flooded and the cover is in place should not be a problem.

I do think time to pull the board loose and look for something underneath.

Chuck

The lights are plugged in, just not on. I'm going to try it with the strands uplugged later this afternoon. The boxes are mounted, off the ground and haven't been wet.

I tried to find the post but could not. A couple of years ago someone posted a photo of a board that was toasted. A snail had crawled into the controller and shorted it out.

I suggest looking at the underside of the board to make sure something didn't crawl in and has now become a conductor. (And I'm not using conductor in the musical sense...)

Are your outlets GFI? When I plug one cord in, its fine then the other, its fine. They both stay on at same time, however, when it rains they will both pop for saftey. I don't know if that's your problem, but the similar thing like that happened to me caused by rain.

Update:

I removed the board and inspected the back...clean. I checked the circuit breaker...a few dead geckos, but it works with other boxes. I unplugged all the lights and plugged in both sides...pop. DRAT! I reset the breaker and took an extension cord with three outlets. I plugged the 3 way into the power supply. No problems. I plugged in both power cords from the PC box, and what do you know, it doesn't trip! It only trips when I plug in each cord to the two power supply cords. I tried different power cords and it just doesn't like being plugged in separately, only to the triple cord.

ARGH!

Just for giggles, you didn't happen to run the whole controller off one cord last year and have the two hot (black) feeds shorted together did you? Check to make sure the bridging jumpers (the four terminals between channels 8 and 9) aren't in place :)

Oops, just realized these are PC controllers with the spade terminals. I'd still check for jumpers between the sides.

-Gary-

If that's the case, you might want to check your outlet wiring! It appears at least one outlet has the neutral and hot (black) wires reversed! This could cause a dangerous situation if not corrected. Shorting the neutrals will NOT blow a breaker as they are connected to the same place in your service panel whereas the hot (black) wires could be on opposite hot busbars in the service panel.

-Gary-

I used the outlets last year without any issues. It was just me being "thupid". I remembered that last year, I only used half the box in question. I never even plugged in the second power cord. This year, I updated just a bit and needed both sides. The issue never came up last year with only one side plugged in. This year, it did when I plugged in both sides and POP! Once I changed the nuetrals, it has worked flawlessly.