Light-O-Rama Forums

arches

larry oneill

If your arches have lights wound around pipe or conduit, then the rebar extends into the pipe or conduit and holds them up

yep, Thanks Jbullard,

Just got done mounting my first 4 arches. had read your suggestions earlier. So, pounded in 5/8 rebard about 2' with about 1' sticking out of the ground. I believe those arches are not going anywhere. I also drilled 2 holes in line and about 3/4 of the way across. Then passed a tie-wrap through the end. Slid it down the rebar and tightened the tie-wrap. Now conduit will not slip off of rebar. Well not only not slip off but wont pull off either if the little poor deprived children decide that they want my arches. They might find that the work required might be more than they are willing to pay for them..

I do that as well but, I also Tie mine to stakes in the ground in the middle to stop them from swaying. So up from the ground about a foot in front of the arch loop around the arch then back down to a foot behind the arch.

I just use Inflatable tethers, seem to work ok....

-Evan

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I know this is an older post, but how long are your PVC arches? I was thinking about 20'. Does that sound right? If you see my arches they did not turn out the way I wanted. I am looking for a smooth arch side to side. Thanks for the help! 83 more days!

Ineedmorelights wrote:

Hey,

I know this is an older post, but how long are your PVC arches? I was thinking about 20'. Does that sound right? If you see my arches they did not turn out the way I wanted. I am looking for a smooth arch side to side. Thanks for the help! 83 more days!
Some people have made 20' arches but they have done a few things. One is that they have cut a few feet off of one of the 10' pipes and reattached to the other. Reason is that if the coupler is dead nuts center, it has more stress on it to snap.

Now would you better describe your problem. What do you mean by smooth arch side to side?

I have 10 and 20 foot. I used the gray electrical PVC for them. It has a flared end so you can connect them easily. If memory serves me (50/50 shot at this age:? ) the flare is only 1-1.5 inches at the center and hard to see when the lights are on it. If you wanted to make the bump harder to see, I'd wrap some electrical tape next to it so you can taper it down over a few inches.