Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX Dimmer Packs in Light-O-Rama?

JacobRobertson

So I'm interested in doing a lighting display on my house NEXT Christmas, (to late to attempt one this year). I am already experienced with DMX lighting (using DMX software to control moving light fixtures) and my plan was to use my DMX software, and just buy mutiple DMX Dimmer Packs (which are similar to Light-O-Rama's hardware, but these run on a DMX-512 protocol). And just doing the lights through the DMX software, but the problem with that is you can not import MP3s (or any audio file) into the software.

So my new plan is to use the Light-O-Rama software, and still use the DMX dimmer packs. Will this work? (The way the Dimmer packs hook to the computer is... each pack has a DMX "in" and "out" where DMX cables are plugged (simply 3 prong XRL cables) You daisy chain the units together, then the DMX cable goes into a dongle, which converts it to a USB, which then goes into the computer.)

Please help me!

Correct. You will also need a USB-RS485 from LightORama with the power booster to power the IDMX and connect it to your computer. However, once you buy the IDMX you could buy a 16 channel controller instead of a 4 channel dimmer pack and it would be waterproof and ready for the outdoors unlike the dimmer packs. If you already have the dimmer packs then they are a good thing to work with, but I wouldn't buy them specifically for Christmas Lights.

Good morning

I use three dimmer packs

one for 3 500 watt lights leaves an extra channel

two for a thing i built called a pinwheel

eight lights in a circle - reminds me of a pinwheel

bought them here for around seventy five bucks each

http://www.northernsound.net/chauvet/index.html

attached is my dmx layout

lor controllers are the way to go for standard lighting

Frank A.:)

Attached files 188233=10625-dmx_cable_layout.jpg

• The topic was locked