Light-O-Rama Forums

Unit ID pin out

Scott T

I bought some units from ebay that were from a standard kit, so they are hardwired.

I need to change the unit ID on a CTB16 board.

What are the jumper pins for:

Unit #1
Unit #2
Unit #3
Unit #4

ID codes are not set by hardware jumpers. There are two methods of modifying the ID codes for LOR boards. With the standard units, the ID is set using the hardware utility of the pc software, with the deluxe units, the ID is set on two rotary switches.

You will need a licensed copy of the pc software in order to change the addresses of the standard units and run sequences.

Regards,

Alan.

That's not completely correct.

The CTB16PC are set by software.

The deluxe CTB16D (kit) are sent by two Rotary switches.

The Standard CTB16D (kit) are hardwired.

The standard CTB16D don't have rotary switched or onboard memory, so they must be hardwired (jumpers) and they are either controlled by the PC interface or as an add on.

LOR units have never had hardwire setting for ID that I know of.

The difference between the Deluxe and Standard CTB16 units is the unit ID switches and the ability to run stand alone sequences.

If nothing else take a photo and post it for us to see.

Chuck

The jumpers soldered in where the unit address switches should be are over-riding the jumper on the 18-pin header across the second row of pins. The jumper on the 18 pin header tells the firmware that this controller does not have unit ID switches and that the Unit ID will be set by the Hardware Utility.

If you remove all the wire jumpers where the unit ID switches would be, and leave the jumper across the 2nd row of the 18-pin header, you will be able to set the unit address with the Hardware Utility and the controller will remember that setting.

You're in effect hard-wiring where the rotary knobs would go in the deluxe version. While I guess it works, it's not documented. The documented way to set the ID on a standard board is through the hardware utility.

I removed the jumper wires and . . . yes I was then able to set via the Hardware utility.

For some reason the guy I bought these from had hardwired them.

Any thoughts why?

Is there any disadvantage to setting the unit id in the firmware?

If you set the address using the rotary switches, then it is immediately obvious what ID the board is. Setting the address in the hardware utility, you will probably want to mark the address on a label on the board. Looking at the photos, you seem to have a "half and half" solution. If you use the switches, you don't put the jumper on the 18-pin header. The easiest solution for you would be to remover the jumper wires from where the switches would be, leave the jumper on the 18-pin header, and set the ID in the hardware utility.

Regards,

Alan.