Light-O-Rama Forums

Trying to set up idmx 1000. Competely lost

civileng68

Ok, hit a snag I guess.

I plugged it all in tonight. I ran the DMX via cat 5 from the LOR controller. Then I went from DMX to the fogger, as normal.

Ran the refresh in LOR hardware. It did in fact pick up the controller plus the DMX and went through all channels of the DMX as you showed in your picture.

I selected E0 but got nothing when testing in console after selecting DMX. I did change the dip switch to 1. To make sure my channel was right I did the master switch to raise all dmx channels and got no response.

Any thoughts?

Ok, one more thing. On the disswitch area of my fogger...................

There is an LED light above the switches. The ONLY TIME it's lit is when the #9 switch is up. It turns green. If this #9 is not up, the light is off. Im just playing around with things until I get some help with this.

The LED on the DMX end of the iDMX is supposed to blink. I believe it blinks once for each 40 DMX frames sent.

I believe turning switch 9 on causes the DMX address to be 256 or higher, which is out of the range that the iDMX supports. Still flipping through the product manual to see if anything else jumps out..

Do you have a DMX terminator? Occasionally some DMX fixtures are really picky about having a DMX terminator.

I agree with Kevin, I do not see anythign in the manual about a LED...

Do you ahve the exact model number?

Also, are you sure your DIPs are all off exect #1, I have accidentally turned them all the the opposite way(misread what was on and off)

Does your Fogger have 9 or 10 DIP switches? Sometimes when there are 10 the 10th needs to be turned on to signify the it is runnign in master or DMX mode instead of standalone mode.

Scott.

stachows wrote:

I agree with Kevin, I do not see anythign in the manual about a LED...

Do you ahve the exact model number?

Also, are you sure your DIPs are all off exect #1, I have accidentally turned them all the the opposite way(misread what was on and off)

Does your Fogger have 9 or 10 DIP switches? Sometimes when there are 10 the 10th needs to be turned on to signify the it is runnign in master or DMX mode instead of standalone mode.

Scott.

aaah, dude, you are a genius. The dips were backwards. Who knew that DOWN was on? I swapped them all and we're in business!!!

ok last question i hope.

Ok, so I have the fogger now even working on LOR editor. Works great. Howeve,r I only want the fogger to operate at 50% (only that channel. all other channels with lights working as normal). I only want my fogger to emit a slight bit of fog.

How do you do that?

Congratulations... Glad I could help...

I have been there myself, and this board is the only reason I still have my sanity...

Scott.:)

• 1 month later...

Ok, I am not into the DMX thing yet, but have been following this thread and what a great explanation on the basics. Super job, I feel like I am a pro already.
Richard

Hey guys, I just came across this thread. Greg et al, good job of coaching through the initial set up.

I have a DMX Primer that I have on my website that is pretty decent at providing the basics of DMX. Granted it does not go through the troubleshooting stages, but at least does outline the concept of the controller vs Base Address.

Just a bump on this to let you know the Primer is there. I may end up modifying it yet again this year to include some basic Universe set up and present again at our Mini here in WA.

• The topic was locked