Light-O-Rama Forums

Powering COntrollers

captainron19

Just wondering what everyone is doing to power your controllers. Do you leav eit connected to a power supply 24/7 (even when not runnign the software) Just wondering if I should put them on a an outdoor timer to come on

I have several that have not been unplugged since last year, if not the year before... Especially if you live where there may be some risk of condensation inside the controller, having them plugged in for the tiny power draw and heat will greatly reduce the risk of moisture condensing inside them.

I've got all my outdoor circuits on a timer. Last year we had a power outage for about two hours one afternoon during the first week in December while I was at work. Come 5:30 - no show. The PC believed it was running one but no lights were lighting. Once I figured out why that was happening, I removed the little thingy on the timer dial and left them powered up the rest of the season.

I also leave my controllers plugged in all Holiday season. But like has already been said, leave them on. You won't hurt them by doing so..

Last year was my first year. I did animation only and used a timer to turn on 2 controllers with no issues all season.
This year will be adding music. The controllers will be left powered 24/7. There's absolutely nothing wrong with leaving electronics powered 24/7. It's done eveerywhere in every industry all over the world. By leaving them powered there is also less of a chance of moisture or condensation buildup on the ckt board if you live in an area where that might be a problem.

That's exactly what i did last year, I used the standalone feature with my animation sequence downloaded to a DC control board to act as the director to the AC board. And selected run when power is turned on.
Worked flawlessly and perfect for my situation last year. Not enough time to put together music. Everyone really enjoyed the animation, along with myself.