Light-O-Rama Forums

Power lead question Whole House Transmitter

huskernut

I am happy so far with the whole house transmitter but I am worried about the flimsy power cored it comes with. USB to (Idont know what size) plug. Plug looks like it has three connections instead of the 2 i would expect for power.

Does anyone have an off the shelf replacement for the retractable USB thing that comes with this?

Thanks

There are 6 standard types of USB plugs that are used by manufacturers. Some are only for powered devices and some are signal only. You should be able to find any of these at a local electronics or computer supply store. It is very common.

I'm glad you are having better luck than I ever had with the Whole House Transmitter. It was the first one I ever bought and I'd consider it barely acceptable for LOR use.

Thanks, I will see how it works after it runs every day from Thanksgiving to New years. Does make me wish I had a back-up, since I have my show all ready to go on a spare laptop, other than a controller going out it would be a mess if i lost the transmitter.

Regards

Rick

By the way I see a lot of comments on xmtrs, whats your choice and why?

I also am using the whole house transmitter for the first year and i really wish I did not get it. Just wondering what kind of distance you are getting with yours and where and how you are planing on placing the unit.

The only advice I can offer is to stretch the antenna as high off the ground as you can. Also I remember soldering an additional wire to the original wire that is equal length to the original. This makes it a half-wave antenna instead of a quarter wave. It seemed to improve the distance by about 25% in my case.

I plan to have my computer in a bedroom at the front of the house. I have the transmitter temporarily with the wire hanging from the blinds and the transmitter taped to the window sill. I get great coverage a full block either way in front of the house so it does what i want it to. I have no complaints at this point.